Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2017 11:42:52 AM EDT
I'm the original owner and this thing has been a tank. 247k miles and very few problems.  

Towing a small jeep or camper should not be a big problem with a 3/4 ton truck, and is not till I start climbing up the mountain.  Fan clutch seem to be working, sounds like an airplane.   I can drive in 100 deg temps with AC on and no issues, till I tow uphill.

Any input?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:49:51 AM EDT
[#2]
That is the fan kicking on when it normally does not. Does it do only under heavy load? Mine did that came on going up a steep grade towing a camper. I was like WTF. It was normal. You have done a cooling flush and replace I hope.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When was the last time you swapped out the thermostats? What about cleaning out your radiator? Have you ever changed the coolant?
View Quote
Tstats, never.  Wouldn't it overheat anytime if they went bad?

Radiator was flushed and filled 20k ago.

Radiator has only been cleaned outside, as well as I can st the car wash.  Looks like some pull the radiator and pressure was it?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:52:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That is the fan kicking on when it normally does not. Does it do only under heavy load? Mine did that came on going up a steep grade towing a camper. I was like WTF. It was normal. You have done a cooling flush and replace I hope.
View Quote
The fan does not come on often, and when it does, you know it .   It blows hard enough to hear inside the cab.

Only really a problem towing up the mts.  Internet research shows I should possibly be using that Allison 6 speed to keep the rpms above 2400 to keep the water moving.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Head gaskets, pretty common on Duramax's nothing like the Ford 6.0's but the dealers see enough of them. Easiest way to replace them is pull the cab.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Head gaskets, pretty common on Duramax's nothing like the Ford 6.0's but the dealers see enough of them. Easiest way to replace them is pull the cab.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Whaaaaaaat?
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Whaaaaaaat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whaaaaaaat?
Happened to mine. Or the heads were cracked.

Along with a million other little bullshit things.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#9]
2006 is an LBZ and I think they are known for head gaskets and there's also something about the air intake being too small and causing overheating. DuramaxForum could tell you far more.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whaaaaaaat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whaaaaaaat?
I read your first post, and just about every time what described is head gaskets. When Duramax head gaskets fail they don't fail like a normal gas or even many Diesel engines. You can get the heads off without pulling the cab, but it takes twice as long to get the heads off with the cab on.

When you pull the heads check them for cracks and make sure they are flat. A good machine shop that does quite a few diesels can rebuild them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.  The radiator stack cleaning article was pretty good.

That would be as far as I go, I have a pretty decent diesel shop to do the head gasket if needed.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Oh stop you. You're gonna banana dance on this guys day?  Karma man...youre putting out negative waves  you gotta let go of the butthurt.. 

Plus he's got 11 years and 250k on it...i think he's done ok already. 

Unless it's puking coolant I wouldn't just jump to head gaskets.  Is the trans staying cool? Coolant level normal? EGR might be on the list to look at as well.  

Grab the upper radiator hose when it's up to temp, if it's solid as a rock...and I mean solid...it is probably head gaskets. But gaskets tend to leak all the time not just when towing.

Could be something simple like the fan clutch or t stats. Need more info. 
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh stop you. You're gonna banana dance on this guys day?  Karma man...youre putting out negative waves  you gotta let go of the butthurt.. 

Plus he's got 11 years and 250k on it...i think he's done ok already. 

Unless it's puking coolant I wouldn't just jump to head gaskets.  Is the trans staying cool? Coolant level normal? EGR might be on the list to look at as well.  

Grab the upper radiator hose when it's up to temp, if it's solid as a rock...and I mean solid...it is probably head gaskets. But gaskets tend to leak all the time not just when towing.

Could be something simple like the fan clutch or t stats. Need more info. 
View Quote
It's not losing any coolant, and that level is good.  I'm pretty sure the fan clutch is working right, no mistaking that thing when it kicks in.

I'll check the upper radiator hose next time it gets hot.  It just never gets hot unless I'm towing up the mts.  

And I'm going to try and keep the rpms up next time and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's not losing any coolant, and that level is good.  I'm pretty sure the fan clutch is working right, no mistaking that thing when it kicks in.

I'll check the upper radiator hose next time it gets hot.  It just never gets hot unless I'm towing up the mts.  

And I'm going to try and keep the rpms up next time and see what happens.
View Quote
It doesn't need to be overheating..just up to operating temp.  So, this time of year..180-200F.  Winter time they don't see much over 160 unless you are really working them.   Drive it for 20 min and it's as warm as it's going to get.  Then check that upper rad hose, drivers side.  They should be firm but squishable, like it's got about 8 PSI in it.  If it's really hard you are building pressure, or if you see bubbles in the over flow tank, or if it's puking coolant down the PS wheel well, or if it doesn't warm up and then all of a sudden the temp spikes...all signs of head gaskets.  The LBZ is a good motor, but gaskets can go on anything.   
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probs not a HG. That issue was corrected when they went from LLY to LBZ in 06. GM used a better gasket and the LBZ has a bigger cooling system.

Do thermostat and water pump OP, before you overheat and do fail a HG. 247k miles is time
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:01:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2006 is an LBZ and I think they are known for head gaskets and there's also something about the air intake being too small and causing overheating. DuramaxForum could tell you far more.
View Quote
Both of those issues are the LLY Duramax which was the previous generation. The LBZ has very few problems and headgaskets aren't Near the top of the list.

OP, clean your cooling stack(Lots of write ups on this online) and I would be willing to bet your problems go away. The LBZ IS NOT known for headgasket issues, so triple check the simple things before letting a shop change HGs on your truck just because.

What you are experiencing is almost to a "T" the symptoms of a dirty radiator  system. Your truck just can't keep cool when it's pushing anything besides itself.

One thing you can do that's a pretty quick and easy test for a HG is get the truck to operating temp before going to bed, when you wake up to go to work the next morning squeeze your upper rad hose......if it's not rock solid your HG is likely fine if your not losing coolant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top