Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 5:26:24 PM EDT
This starter fought well but she finally succumbed to my demands.  At some point someone was putting this Land Rover together and was like fuck any one ever has to work on it.  Cross threaded and rounded bolt heads
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks.  I would love to see pics of your sweet ride.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks.  I would love to see pics of your sweet ride.
View Quote

I love this thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I am lusting after your rig. That is awesome!  If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had it and how much did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about your starter woes.

Nice. Fucking. Rig.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:58:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am lusting after your rig. That is awesome!  If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had it and how much did you pay for it?
View Quote
Picked it up couple years ago, 35k miles. It was imported by a man in Texas who owned a huge ranch but he never put it on the road so I went through the importation process.   I Got about 15k in it. The tires were 1500$ lol I wanted a 4 door but this one had the left hand steering, slave box(over drive gear box behind the trans) and it has the front and rear power take offs so I can use any farm equipment like a bushhog, hay baler, sawmill.  Parts are dirt cheap and the 4.2 Perkins diesel is probably the best motor ever made.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#7]
U can crank it with out a starter but I never have.  You hook what they call an ARM BREAKER into the power take off and spin it by hand.  But I refuse to use a tool called an Arm Breaker.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Slave box, Its a blast to drive

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Kinda off topic but a good friend of mine ran Defenders and series Rovers for years. He compiled a parts crossover list to save himself money. Turned out LOTS of older Rovers used tons of GM parts. So if you know what parts are off of a small block GM you can save cash and get parts faster.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Kinda off topic but a good friend of mine ran Defenders and series Rovers for years. He compiled a parts crossover list to save himself money. Turned out LOTS of older Rovers used tons of GM parts. So if you know what parts are off of a small block GM you can save cash and get parts faster.
View Quote
Like manys Rover mine has the Perkins diesel conversion.  Parts are dirt cheap and easy to find. Any forklift/ MasseyFerguson tractor dealer has them.  Mine is a 1973 model and was converted at the Land Rover dealership in Texas in 1974.  It may have not ever left the dealership with the original motor.  No way to know really. The auto parts house will have a new one for me tomorrow. I see a shit ton of parts as Army surplusstores but they cost the same as new parts I can order. They used the Perkins has a genator to run the tent cities.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Picked it up couple years ago, 35k miles. It was imported by a man in Texas who owned a huge ranch but he never put it on the road so I went through the importation process.   I Got about 15k in it. The tires were 1500$ lol I wanted a 4 door but this one had the left hand steering, slave box(over drive gear box behind the trans) and it has the front and rear power take offs so I can use any farm equipment like a bushhog, hay baler, sawmill.  Parts are dirt cheap and the 4.2 Perkins diesel is probably the best motor ever made.  
View Quote
I don't know the market for these but it seems to me that you got a great deal.  A lot of bang for $15K.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Its really is, It would have cost much more had it already been through importation and had a NC title.  I could get 20-25k for this one the way it sets because its has zero rust.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top