Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 4:03:34 PM EDT
I was recently in an accident while driving our #2 car, a Honda Civic.  Car was totaled.  I'm about to get the check from the insurance company, which will come out to just over $6K.  I plan to use most of this cash towards the next vehicle, but am also planning to finance a good size chunk.

I hated the Civic, and my spousal unit also grew to hate it, mostly for the small size.  Car #2 is a 2009 Subaru Forester, and is loved by all in the family.  Up until now the Forrester was usually "my" vehicle, as it was my hunting vehicle.  I have a cargo carrier for the back and with it's clearance plus AWD I could get where I needed to go 99.5% of the time.

So at this point it looks like I'm buying a vehicle for myself.  While I can ramble on about guns and cartridges with the rest of you, I am not a "car guy".  I'm looking for any advice going forward.

Here are my requirements for the next vehicle:

AWD or 4WD
Sufficient ground clearance for moderate off road driving
Driver seat higher up than sedan
4 door cabin that doesn't feel cramped, at least for driver/passenger
$30 K or under, so cheaper new vehicle or used

An SUV or large crossover is probably the best fit, although I'm considering a mid size pickup truck.  I have never owned a pickup truck, so I'm unsure if I would really like one, or just the idea of having one.  I'll gladly buy used, but I'd want something at 50K or under miles, i.e. if I need to buy a 100K used vehicle to think about my price range, that choice is out.

I could go with another Forrester.  A buddy of mine has recommended I try a Toyota 4runner.  Any thoughts on a midsize pickup?  Other SUV's to consider?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The current Forrester is a good all around vehicle for your needs, but it's getting pretty dated.  Subaru's AWD system is much better than most other AWD cars (especially in this price range).  

I've been looking around for a potential new vehicle for my wife, and we have similar requirements to what you posted.  I looked at pretty much everything and I think the new Honda CRV EX AWD is tough to beat in terms of value.  If it was truly for me, we'd buy a Toyota 4-Runner Trail and be done, but in reality my wife would be better served with the $10k cheaper Honda CRV.  The 4 Runner is a body-on-frame true 4wd SUV, sadly hardly anyone makes these any more.  The 4 Runner is the obvious choice if real off road use is a requirement.  CUV's are fine for dirt roads and easy trails.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for 4Runner. I have a 3rd gen (which is best gen) but you'll never find one with under 50k miles. My sister has a brand new 5th gen that I like a lot, and it feels like the front seats are as roomy as my fullsize pickup's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Since you have never owned a truck stick with the mid sized crossover/suv.

I have owned 3 trucks.

1986 dodge ram 50.  Compact
1998 Chevy s10.     Midsize
Current 2006 chevy Silverado 1500.  Full sized

All three shared one characteristic.  Unloaded the rear end is light and lively.  Unless your planning on using the bed fairly often the ride isn't as good as a passenger vehicle.  

The smaller trucks needed 200-300lbs in the bed to settle the rear end down, the full size needs 300-600lbs depending on if I load it in front or behind the rear axle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since you have never owned a truck stick with the mid sized crossover/suv.

I have owned 3 trucks.

1986 dodge ram 50.  Compact
1998 Chevy s10.     Midsize
Current 2006 chevy Silverado 1500.  Full sized

All three shared one characteristic.  Unloaded the rear end is light and lively.  Unless your planning on using the bed fairly often the ride isn't as good as a passenger vehicle.  

The smaller trucks needed 200-300lbs in the bed to settle the rear end down, the full size needs 300-600lbs depending on if I load it in front or behind the rear axle.
View Quote
I was talking to a guy at work today about trucks and he pretty much told me the same.  Considering I live in a very suburban area, I/m going with the SUV.  I'm sure there'd be a couple of days a year I'd be glad to have a truck, but mostly the bed would sit empty.

Right now I'm planning to check out a 4Runner, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee and Subaru Forester this weekend.  All vehicles slightly used except for the Cherokee.  Local dealerships are trying to clear out the 2017s, and are offering some pretty good deals.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
RAV4 are solid if you want better gas mileage, giddyup and handling than a fullsize SUV

You may need to get a mod bracket for the driver seat if you're a bigger guy.  It puts it back a few inches so you have more leg room.

CRV don't handle as well or have as much power.  My parents got one a year or so ago.  My RAV4 is nicer imo.  Rav4 handles quite a bit nicer than a 4runner and I still go in the desert all the time... but if you have to get over gnarly stuff, of course the full size is betterer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Love the 4Runner and it will be my next rig when I dump my 2014 Tacoma.

For what you described? Rav4
Wife has a 2012 and we love it. Great size, 4wd when you want it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Subaru, Volkswagen, and Audi have the best AWD systems.  I wouldn't touch a new Audi or VW with a ten foot pole.  The other manufacturers AWD systems are lackluster and not worth the premium.  

If you want 4WD I would look at the new Chevrolet Colorado which is probably the best bang for the buck.  If you want a true SUV then the 4runner is the way to go.  It's built on the Landcruiser Prado chassis in Japan so it's solid.

I hear bad things about Jeeps.  Do your research on that one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top