Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2017 7:55:31 AM EDT
Thinking about starting up another car project. I've never really liked Mustangs (I"m a chevy guy), but the older I get, the more I really like the look of the notch back foxbody mustangs.  What does take to get one of these cars braking and handling well?  I'm not too worried about the power aspect of it....but supercharger a mild 5.0 and put in it, or maybe an LS swap, or some other power option.  Right now I'm just worried about putting together a fun car to drive on the street that will drive well.....and not just go in a straight line well.

Any info would be great!  Thanks!!

I'm thinking of building something like this....

Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much.  Eibach springs, Tokico shocks and struts, Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and a good set of sway bars.  Solid rear control arms help too.
Throw on a set of subframe connectors to tie the front and back end together.

But while your are at it, might as well upgrade to the 5 lug set up and install a set of SN95 Cobra brakes.  Use the '93 Cobra master cylinder, but check thread patterns carefully.  Ford was notorious for using a combination of SAE and metric threads, to include brake fittings throughout these years.  I think the '93 MC was still SAE.  I did this on my '95 and I think it was the '94-'95 Cobra was metric, while the GT was still SAE. So I had to go with the '93 MC.

Vendors like Steeda have a lot of great chassis performance parts.  If you get serious, I have  a set of SN95 spindles I could make you a deal on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of a better car to mod than a FOX Ford.

There are multitudes of parts to tailor them to do anything you want.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
In Missouri the supply of good Fox's are bottom of the barrell.  You'd be better off getting an LS1 car and starting there.  If you want a Mustang the best deals right now are the last of the SN95 "new edge" cars like the 01-04s.  You can get them with 20k miles for 8-9000.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Missouri the supply of good Fox's are bottom of the barrell.  You'd be better off getting an LS1 car and starting there.  If you want a Mustang the best deals right now are the last of the SN95 "new edge" cars like the 01-04s.  You can get them with 20k miles for 8-9000.
View Quote
Yeah....I've noticed that the Fox cars are going for more than the SN95 cars.  I don't mind finding a car that needs some work.....but it seems like the ones I'm finding are either super nice and they want 10K+ for, or they are just gutted out shells for $1000 or less.  I'm ok with engine, transmission, and body work....but I don't want something that's been gutted and hacked up.

I've had LS1 cars...Camaro, GTO......just looking for something different. It seems like everyone has got a cam'd LS1 something these days....but you don't see many Fox body Mustangs around...and the Notch back ones are really rare.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not much.  Eibach springs, Tokico shocks and struts, Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and a good set of sway bars.  Solid rear control arms help too.
Throw on a set of subframe connectors to tie the front and back end together.

But while your are at it, might as well upgrade to the 5 lug set up and install a set of SN95 Cobra brakes.  Use the '93 Cobra master cylinder, but check thread patterns carefully.  Ford was notorious for using a combination of SAE and metric threads, to include brake fittings throughout these years.  I think the '93 MC was still SAE.  I did this on my '95 and I think it was the '94-'95 Cobra was metric, while the GT was still SAE. So I had to go with the '93 MC.

Vendors like Steeda have a lot of great chassis performance parts.  If you get serious, I have  a set of SN95 spindles I could make you a deal on.
View Quote
From what I've seen online...lots of guys are getting away from the stock 4-link setup and going with a 3-link torque are type setup and adding a watts link or panhard bar..........how bad really is the stock 4-link setup if you use good upper and lower bars?
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#6]
want something different you say?  How about a 1989 Pace car Turbo Trans Am?  This was the fastest f-body from 1989-1998 when the LS1 came out and finally could run side by side with it.  TTA's run 13.4s stock.  boost controller takes them into the high 12's

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/1989-turbo-trans-am/6247452001.html
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
want something different you say?  How about a 1989 Pace car Turbo Trans Am?  This was the fastest f-body from 1989-1998 when the LS1 came out and finally could run side by side with it.  TTA's run 13.4s stock.  boost controller takes them into the high 12's

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/1989-turbo-trans-am/6247452001.html
View Quote
It may be unique and rare....but for $15,000 I could build one hell of a Fox body mustang that would outrun and out handle that old transam.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#8]
the winning combo from what I can see is the LS swapped fox bodies, foxbody for the chassis/suspension setup and LS for the drivetrain for power per dollar capabilities. if it was me find a roller that's already had the swapped crossmember and stuff up front or find a 80% car that's been almost completed but someone lost interest or doesn't have the time. lol this is coming from a me whos building a turbo 6.0 LQ4 LS motor swapped single cab chevy Colorado.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I own 2 Fox bodies and have owned a few others. Notches are rarer because they were used as race cars and abused and destroyed. In the 80's an article was written claiming the notch was stiffer and would launch better drag racing. It was taken as gospel.  I was with a guy who took 2 brand new Mustangs a notch and a hatch to the drag strip. They were ran back to back and ran within a few hundredths of each other in the quarter. No real difference.  The fox body is well scienced out at this point in life. Find one that is already built and save some time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm also in the "notchbacks with an LS1" swap camp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top