Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2017 10:06:28 PM EDT
Was driving to get lunch in Michigan and was near one of the big Ford plants.  White truck came up to the stop sign and had a Ford logo on the front but I was a bit confused by it.  Definitely wasn't an F150 so I had no idea what it was at first then as it passed me I saw "RANGER" written across the back of the tailgate.  I'm pissed I didn't get my phone out to take a picture because I haven't seen one pic yet of one in the wild and uncovered.  It threw me off too because this one had none of that black/white wrapping on it at all.  I think it looks better than the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon.  It's a bit bigger than I thought it would be, too.  It's also possible that this was one of the Australian Rangers they had out here for testing.  Again, they haven't revealed it yet officially and it was odd it was totally uncovered.

Pretty much looked exactly like this (new Ranger concept) except it was white and the bars on the grille extended to the edges:

Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been available in Mexico for a couple years. I rented one in Puerto Vallerta for a while. It was cool, but it definitely depends on the price point.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
My condolences to Ford Enthusiasts...

That think looks like a Prius with a bed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My condolences to Ford Enthusiasts...

That think looks like a Prius with a bed.
View Quote
Or an SUV with the back chopped off.

I am not liking the looks of it in that picture.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:08:58 AM EDT
[#5]
hideous. at least with current engine tech there is hope it wont suck ass as much as previous rangers but it will still have a ticking time bomb of a ford transmission in it, because ford couldn't make a decent trans to save their lives.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:17:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Ew, just no. I guess in Ford's defense, IMHO almost all the newer trucks look like absolute sh*t

ETA: its not exactly the same, but it looks similar to the 2017 Tacoma, at least some of the front end to some extent

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hideous. at least with current engine tech there is hope it wont suck ass as much as previous rangers but it will still have a ticking time bomb of a ford transmission in it, because ford couldn't make a decent trans to save their lives.
View Quote
LOL

I had a Mazda B4000 (i.e. a Ranger) with the 4.0L V-6.  That was a good motor.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
wtf are the roof rails on the Ranger for?

I'm more partial to this look:

Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol that's Dodge you're thinking about.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LOL

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LOL

Decent engines, the timing set up is retarded though and cause quite a few failures.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Fords take on the Honda Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 8:56:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I do think it looks better in person after seeing it.  That said, if you're not a fan of Ford's current trend of European styling you may not be a fan of the new Ranger.  As I said in the OP, the grille is a bit different looking and has that European look that a lot of the newer Fords have.  The grille looks a bit closer in shape to the Tacoma image that Ej6fade posted.  But the body is almost exactly similar to the one I posted in the OP.

Here's a spy photo of one that should give you a better idea of the body style:
https://www.trucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/mule1.jpg
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:27:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the body aluminum? I had a '94 Ranger that I bought new and it was a great truck except for the when the transmission went tits up. I can't remember the mileage but it was over 100K when it happened. My 02' F150 that I stupidly sold last year is still going. It had 145K on it when I sold it. No transmission problems with that truck at all.

The transmission in my father-in-law's 2011 F150 went tits up a couple of years ago. Twice actually, but the second time was right after he got it fixed so I blame the ones that "fixed" it. That truck had well over 100K miles on it when he bought it. I didn't realize that Ford had a reputation of bad transmissions.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Before you complain about the front end styling remember the government has stuck their hands in here as well. There are new standards for vehicles hitting pedestrians for cars and light trucks. Cars come first then trucks. Yes it is retarded.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Jesus did they just completely copy the cab from the Colorado and swap in a Ford grill?  WHy can't these fuckers do SOMETHING DIFFERENT.  A S10 and a Ford Ranger some how didn't look a like for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn I thought the tacoma was ugly but the ranger tops that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Was hoping with the announcement of the new F150, Ranger, Bronco, Raptor Ford was finally seeing something and was going to start designing more truck like trucks again.

You've seen me say my doubt was high in a lot of other threads. I am still holding some hope but I am guessing like every other manufacturer it will look like some euro trash. Chevy was close on the Colorado, with all the .gov bullshit its probably about as close as we will see. But I am not buying a $50k mini truck.

The silverado's look good on the outside but are made like shit, and once you step inside them guess what, you can't tell the interior has gotten any bigger.

I guess I will be forever stuck in 2006 as I liked and STILL like every truck & suv of those years better then whats out there now
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:32:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The silverado's look good on the outside but are made like shit, and once you step inside them guess what, you can't tell the interior has gotten any bigger.
View Quote
The Silverado is made very well.  Have you seen the commercials where they drop a bunch of large concrete blocks into the back of their all-steel bed from 20+ feet in the air and there are only minor dents!?

(sarcasm)
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:13:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Was driving to get lunch in Michigan and was near one of the big Ford plants.  White truck came up to the stop sign and had a Ford logo on the front but I was a bit confused by it.  Definitely wasn't an F150 so I had no idea what it was at first then as it passed me I saw "RANGER" written across the back of the tailgate.  I'm pissed I didn't get my phone out to take a picture because I haven't seen one pic yet of one in the wild and uncovered.  It threw me off too because this one had none of that black/white wrapping on it at all.  I think it looks better than the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon.  It's a bit bigger than I thought it would be, too.  It's also possible that this was one of the Australian Rangers they had out here for testing.  Again, they haven't revealed it yet officially and it was odd it was totally uncovered.

Pretty much looked exactly like this (new Ranger concept) except it was white and the bars on the grille extended to the edges:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ranger-1.jpg
View Quote

There must be one on the wild here in Texas as well as I saw it a couple weeks ago.

It was silver in color and looks better than the prototype for sure.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 8:43:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing to see here.  Just a new version of the Ford Sport Trac.  Move along people...

The Bronco will be a new version of the Escape.  It will have the Ranger's front clip, IFS (most likely IRS too), 4-doors, and just be a gay crying shame version of the big Bronco Explorer...

Manufacturers have their hands tied these days with the government requirements, EPA requirements, and suburbanites who require 4-doors, a comfy ride, cameras, sensors, driving aides, and all the electronics their phone can muster...
Fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
If the rumor of them making a Raptor version is true, I am a buyer!

Current 5.0L F150 4x4 SuperCrew owner.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

they are as gaudy as a h2.

im pretty sure a flatbill comes with the owners manual.
View Quote
Hey now, the H2 is a bad mutha fucka if you use it for what it was intended and not as a G wagon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ew, just no. I guess in Ford's defense, IMHO almost all the newer trucks look like absolute sh*t

ETA: its not exactly the same, but it looks similar to the 2017 Tacoma, at least some of the front end to some extent

https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/toyota/tacoma/2017/oem/2017_toyota_tacoma_crew-cab-pickup_trd-sport_fq_oem_7_1280.jpg
View Quote
Who diarrheaed all over that poor catfish?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hey now, the H2 is a bad mutha fucka if you use it for what it was intended and not as a G wagon.
View Quote
What was the H2 intended for?   Last I checked, it was built on the basic 3/4-T Chevy chassis....making it no better than a 2500 pickup....or Tahoe.  No?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I guess I will be forever stuck in 2006 as I liked and STILL like every truck & suv of those years better then whats out there now
View Quote
In that case, I'll sell you a POS 2006 Ford Expedition. It's a complete turd quality-wise compared to the '98 Expy I had.

For those lamenting the styling of the new Ranger...do you actually remember what the previous Ranger looked like?

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What was the H2 intended for?   Last I checked, it was built on the basic 3/4-T Chevy chassis....making it no better than a 2500 pickup....or Tahoe.  No?
View Quote
Bro-Fails:

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:47:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
In that case, I'll sell you a POS 2006 Ford Expedition. It's a complete turd quality-wise compared to the '98 Expy I had.

For those lamenting the styling of the new Ranger...do you actually remember what the previous Ranger looked like?

https://www.cstatic-images.com/car-pictures/xl/CAB50FOT141A0101.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.cstatic-images.com/car-pictures/xl/CAB50FOT141A0101.jpg
I completely agree. It looks like a turd. I have owned several. Still have one. All have been near bullet proof.  Didn't cost a ton. And we're a basic nice work truck. EXACTLY what I want as 1 of my 2 vehicles I always have.

Have had extremely good luck with GM 01-06 as well.

PS if anyone down south has a rust free 04-06 4x4 crew or ext or 04-06 Tahoe holler at me! Would be extremely interested!
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Ranger auto transmissions were made in France.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nothing to see here.  Just a new version of the Ford Sport Trac.  Move along people...

The Bronco will be a new version of the Escape.  It will have the Ranger's front clip, IFS (most likely IRS too), 4-doors, and just be a gay crying shame version of the big Bronco Explorer...

Manufacturers have their hands tied these days with the government requirements, EPA requirements, and suburbanites who require 4-doors, a comfy ride, cameras, sensors, driving aides, and all the electronics their phone can muster...
Fucking stupid.
View Quote
Isn't the bronco body on frame? I would think it would more likely be a version of the Everest which is a similar platform the to Ranger if I understand correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top