Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2017 7:24:30 PM EDT
I've got a 1993 Mustang LX. Nothing special. 302, 4-speed, Fox-body hatchback. Being 24 years old now the sun has taken it's toll on the paint as I've never had a garage or shelter.

I've been to two places and both want around 5K to paint it. That's pretty hard to swallow....MAACO has a price in 1000-dollar range and I've seen one example of the results. Looked very good, at least in the photo. Never saw it in person.

So why the huge difference?

Just thought of another question: How do the 2015 Mustang GT's stack up overall? 6-spd, 302, traction control, ABS, etc. Drove one today and was into ticket-getting speeds rather quickly.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The paint application is just the last step in a labor intensive process.
You want to save money?  Try doing all the prep yourself.
That ought to change your mind about the cost.
Cheap price, cheap job.
If the car is worth it? Take it to a pro who will garrentee the  work.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
JUST quality primer / base coat and clear coat can EASILY run $1K. Depends on how deep you get. Thing about paint jobs? You can buy cheap paint and spray it on a nicely prepped surface and it will look better than spending $2K on materials and spraying it over a sub-par prep job.

It is LITERALLY all about the prep. Taking the time to correctly mask everything off for a color change? That takes labor and labor costs $. Working high spots and low spots until you can feel how straight the panels are with just your hand and your eyes closed. If YOU aren't doing that labor, someone else IS and they will charge for it, as they should.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Just start pricing the equipment to do it and a few thousand is a decent deal.

I have $1500 (fillers, different primers, paint gun and suoplies, paint and clear) in painting the truck in my avatar back to original color. I have many hours in it and in reality it needed more but winter was coming. Still looks good for my first.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Automotive paint be 'spensive.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#5]
what do you have more of, time or money. look up rustoleum paint job.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd imagine MAACO is just spraying the paint where the other shops probably figured in more labor for prep work.

MAACO is the kind of place where budget car lots send junk to cover up abused merchandise.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want your weather stripping and wiper blades and side glass painted too, you go to the spray can paint experts aka MAACO.

OP are you brand new to the car hobby?  your question makes me think so either that you're like 19 years old.

If you want your foxbody to look like it belongs in a trailer park, pay less than $3000 for a paint job.  Or have a reputable shop do it right, base coat, clear coat and have the car look like it should.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Extremely labor intensive.

They can strip your old paint off and shoot a coat of primer and keep working on it another 175 hours and to the untrained eye it looks just like it did after that first coat of primer.

I dropped $3500 on fillers, epoxy primers, 2K primer, sandpaper, reducers, catalysts, base coat, intermediate clear, clear coat, tapes, paper, etc....

And let's not forget all the EPA stuff involved too.  Filter changes after each paint job, disposal of paint and reducer, business license, insurance, etc.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
You can get PPG  value line for about $500 for 1 gallon base  1 gallon reducer( makes 2 gallons paint total) 1 gallon clear and Gardner.

Matched perfectly the stock color. And good results for a first timer.

If I was painting a expensive car the sky is the limit on price of paint.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
We have a local Amish guy who does very nice work. Runs about $1500 but you supply paint, primer, etc

Last car I painted was with a devilbis airless and some leftover immron .

Before that it was a Wagner
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Like with house painting, 75% of the work is done before the paint cans are opened.  Pictures can tell you what the job looks like at 50 ft.  If you'll never get closer, than you'll be happy with the cheap job.

Also, the EPA.  The EPA has passed regulations which are very expensive for shop owners.  And, the chemicals in the paint are more hazardous than in the past.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
20/20 paint job, looks good at 20 feet or driving by at 20mph.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have a local Amish guy who does very nice work. Runs about $1500 but you supply paint, primer, etc

View Quote
What tools does an Amish car painter use?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Is Earl Scheib out of business? He could paint any car any color for $99.95!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Good prep takes a long time. Or less time with multiple people. Add abrasives, prep tools, prep chemicals, body tape, paper, etc to the cost of that labor.

High quality paint is also expensive, and it isn't being sprayed in an open garage or backyard with a harbor freight paint gun.

Oh, and add some more labor after the paint is dry, because the job doesn't end there.

MAACO is mostly for cheap cars you keep for maybe a year and then sell.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Materials and time are expensive OP. The paint and body work on my 69 AMX cost over 17K. It was almost 4k for paint and materials. Going shop rate in my area is $85 and hour.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is Earl Scheib out of business? He could paint any car any color for $99.95!
View Quote
  I remember hearing them on radio way back when.  They went out of business on July 16, 2010.  Back in the 50's, it was paint any car any color, $19.95

My 93 Mustang still has good paint but it has lived its entire life in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 3:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Never has seen the inside of a garage...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Top surface has to be stripped down to metal. Sides can be sanded and prepped.  That front bumper is going to be labor intensive to get it right.   Be glad you found someone willing to do an all over paint job.  Around here collision repairs is all they focus on at the bigger shops.  I was told by my shop that if the insurance companies see all overs being worked on, they tend to frown on letting them do their work.  Insurance companies like to run the shops with their purse strings.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've got a 1993 Mustang LX. Nothing special. 302, 4-speed, Fox-body hatchback. Being 24 years old now the sun has taken it's toll on the paint as I've never had a garage or shelter.

I've been to two places and both want around 5K to paint it. That's pretty hard to swallow....MAACO has a price in 1000-dollar range and I've seen one example of the results. Looked very good, at least in the photo. Never saw it in person.

So why the huge difference?

Just thought of another question: How do the 2015 Mustang GT's stack up overall? 6-spd, 302, traction control, ABS, etc. Drove one today and was into ticket-getting speeds rather quickly.
View Quote

I've seen several in person...and there is a reason it's under $1000.  If you are going to paint a car just to sell it....MAACO. If you are going to paint a car to keep....pay a good shop good money, or do it yourself.

I paint cars on the side......it's a lot of labor and time to make it look nice...that's why shops charge so much. Also, supplied (base, clear, hardener, etc...) has gone up a lot of the years. I remember when you could get a gallon of base coat for $80.  Now it's $200+ depending on the color you want .  The last car I painted cost me around $800 just in supplies......
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're willing to do your own prep work, most shops will spray pretty cheap.  I've had a couple of cars done for around $1500 (base+clear) and they came out looking awesome.  Of course, I did all the prep work, which was easily 100 hours (per car).
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

What tools does an Amish car painter use?
View Quote

Same as any other except compressors are all gasoline vs elecric.
Same air tools, spray guns, air dryers, etc
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Back inthe 80s we took a buddy' s 69 Camaro to Earl Scheib.

We had done ALL the bodywork and prep. Paid about $30 for a gallon of Good Humour white. Guy sprayed it for $50 cash.
Looked pretty damn good.
For a few years.
Till all our Bondo started falling out
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#24]
In 1990, my neighbor and I painted his 83 Caprice over a long weekend. One day sanding, one day masking,  Monday we painted.  Two gallons of discounted mis-mixed but close colors acrylic enamel. Mixed them together in a waste basket, reduce and sprayed in his front yard. A couple sags, some dry spots,  but with light blue metallic,  was not too obvious. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 5:15:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Just plasti dip that thing and be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:33:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a 2000 Honda Accord, like all other Hondas of that era, that had shitty paint. It was originally navy blue but turned sort of flat blue and white where the paint was faded really bad on the hood and trunk lid. There's a body shop near my house that told me back in 2013 the prices for repainting a car start at $4,000.00. I nearly crapped a brick. That's a helluva lot more than the car is worth. I sold the car to my sister that year and she's still driving it. With the crappy paint. Great car though, no doubt. Never had one bit of trouble at all.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#27]
As others have said the materials are expensive and very labor intensive.

I had a project car 10 years ago and a friend that did autobody. I spent almost $1,000 in material and he did the work for beer money and it took him about a week of purely working on my car.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hey, can you email me this guys info?  Ive been looking for a good paint job for my car somewhere in MD.  I'd appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Paint jobs start at $10k at the shop next to me.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#30]
paid 6500$ for this paint.  

paid 80$ for my truck paint
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thank the EPA.  

Good, cheap, single stage lacquers are no longer commonly available.  The old stuff (pre 1988) would get rock hard.  I have painted a few classic cars and it gets more expensive every time even though I do it myself.
View Quote
correct, the 30 dollar a gallon stuff is long gone. It was easy to fix boo boos too. A little dust you could fix with repainting the whole quarter if you knew how to feather sand.

!00 bucks a quart or more now.

there is soe single stage water based stuff now. I'll bet its still harder to work with nor as foregiving as the old lacquer.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#33]
My 4Runner has a MAACO paint job on it and it's terrible. OP your car's paint is in better condition now than it will be if you get MAACO to hose spray it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Actually, new stuff blends and melts into original paint better now than it ever has.  Speed is the key in bodyshops, and blending clear coats is done quicker and better with modern chemicals used now.  Fixing a fresh run or booger in a new paint job is much easier than the old lacquer days.
I hung up my paint gun professionally back in 1990.  Fast forward 5 years back when I painted my '66 Mustang, and I was floored at the advancements in paint technology since I did it for a living.  I now have an understanding how projects on tv shows like Overhaulin' are possible.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:32:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you have the equipment, shop space and knowledge to do it yourself?

That's why.

J-
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#36]
All MAACO is going to do for that price is tape it off, scuff the paint and spray....
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#37]
A GOOD painter will not let you do the bodywork yourself anyways.  Their reputation is based on how that paintjob holds up, and if you are doing the bodywork yourself, you likely are going to fuck up that good paintjob.

My dad paints cars and does bodywork.  He can do a good paintjob for $8K, and not clear more than about minimum wage after all the man hours to get it to where it needs to be.

He won't touch someone else's bodywork though.  If his name goes on it, he does all the work.

If you want a $1K paintjob, go to that other place.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#38]
I stripped my 1968 El Camino by hand (paint stripper and mechanical) back in 1977 (junior in high school) by myself for a month.
I found a shitload of fucked up things.

I replaced both front fenders, one door skin and the rear tailgate skin with new Chevy parts.

The rear window frame was rusted out as was the top of the cab (both from the vinyl top).
The shop that did the metal work cut and replaced all of that rusted out stuff.

I aligned the body panels and got the gaps right, then I spent two weeks sanding, priming and skim coating the body work to get it looking ok.

I took it to a friends house, his dad had a paint booth in his barn.
Me and my friend spent another two weeks getting it ready for paint.

He took a day to shoot it and another week to fix/scuff/shot with clear, scuff and polish out the paint.

Last time I'll ever do that.  
I'll pay someone good money to it next time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Why not have it vinyl wrapped?  Cheaper than paint and since it's got that shitty Ford plasticized-foam cladding anyway...
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:01:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
paid 6500$ for this paint.  
http://i.imgur.com/r0vbjBV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/evKART5.jpg
paid 80$ for my truck paint
http://i.imgur.com/iVYWbLk.jpg
View Quote
And worth EVERY PENNY! WOW! Beautiful Chevelle!!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Or you could buy a spray gun and a few gallons of plastic dip.  Going to do that to a 1998 ram 1500 beater that I have.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why not have it vinyl wrapped?  Cheaper than paint and since it's got that shitty Ford plasticized-foam cladding anyway...
View Quote
Considering this for my situation
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Wrap or plastidip that shit.

Or,

Pay the piper and spent $6k-10k on a decent paint job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just plasti dip that thing and be done with it.
View Quote
That or diy vinyl wrap it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Paid about $6500 to repainted the orange Mach 1. Paint is better than new, very rich deep glow. Clear coat was about $70 a quart the shop said.

That included the decals for the hood and side skirts which were $500 or so, new plastic in between the hood and windshield, new rubber around the windshields and small trim pieces.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Ws7P7Us.jpg

Paid about $6500 to repainted the orange Mach 1. Paint is better than new, very rich deep glow. Clear coat was about $70 a quart the shop said.

That included the decals for the hood and side skirts which were $500 or so, new plastic in between the hood and windshield, new rubber around the windshields and small trim pieces.
View Quote
That's money well spent right there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top