Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 7/16/2017 4:46:47 AM EDT
So unfortunately my 1942 Chevy project has been dead in the water due to a title issue. Dang me for moving to a midwestern state with draconian title laws.

So fuck it.

Let's build a Model A. Because I won't have title issues with it.

Here is the goal for this project. It is not going to be a rat rod. But it also is not going to be a fully built custom street rod either. Nor will it be pre 1960's fully traditional. I am planning this one out to be a reliable driver, that is fast (It weighs nothing and will have a V8) but at the same time is decent to drive on the highway since I live in the middle of fucking nowhere.

So V8, and 5 speed, with a decent rear end. No drum brakes, and might even go with a manual rack and pinion (Sacre Bleu!) to make steering actually safe and fun.

So ya, in no way will this car be HAMB friendly, but it also won't fit in with the KillBillet crowd very much, because I do want it to look decent and even have a windshield (No cow horns though!).

So what do we have RIGHT MEOW?
Got a frame second hand for $300, well i traded shit worth $300 but whatever. It was made by Last Refuge Hotrod out of Dolores, CO. It was rusty. I put some black spray paint on it for now to stop it from being ugly. I'll eventually have to knock off the surface rust and re paint it. Eventually.
Here it is, strapped to the top of my Yukon. Who says you need a trailer? Shit is over rated.
Attachment Attached File

Next up, I have a buddy, he likes cars. His wife doesn't. Sucks to be him.
I got a Speedway Drop Tube front Axle, wishbones, disc brakes, spindle, spring, etc from him. Like $1200 bucks from speedway. I got a good deal on it. Once again, though. Fucking rusty.
Attachment Attached File

And here is where we are at tonight. I swept the garage and piled parts in the corner!
Attachment Attached File

As you can see I am using zip ties to hold the front Wish Bones in place. Why, Because the Heim Joints are different sized the tabs that came on the frame. We will fix that later.

So I decided I'd let ARFCOM help me build this. Make a few decisions. Blah blah. there will be polls and shit. I reserve the executive privilege to do whatever I want however.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:54:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#1]
Going to turn this post into the Money Spent post;

Frame: $300 in trade goods
Front End: $600
Speedway 7/19: $282.41
2 sets of SBC heads: $60
Vega Hot rod box: $80
Tudor Body: $400
9in Rear End: $100
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:03:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#2]
Going with the Tudor Body.
Place Holder Now.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tim_McBride:
Now something to discuss is the body. I currently have two options.

Tudor. Rusty (Shocked I know)

Or

Fordor Steelback Body (rusty) that is in pieces.

Now look, I am not going to build a more door hot rod. But, I thought to myself "Self, you could build an extended cab pickup with that body" So ya, I'd use the front doors as is, B pillar, and then pull the rear section in and use the old rear doors as donor metal to fill in the rear of the 'Cab' This is only an option because if you've ever been in a Model A pickup that has been chopped you know they are uncomfortable. I really don't know if I want to do this. Beds are expensive and look stupid, and honestly, kinda on the very edge of my skill level.

Stock Pics:
Tudor;
http://www.mafca.com/photos/28-tudor2.jpg

Fordor;
http://model-a-ford.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/stories60B1-web.jpg
View Quote
Go with whatever's easiest. Both look great!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:25:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive always been partial to 5 windows.  I have a 30/31 that has been "in progress" since 2006.  In all honesty don't have the time and will likely never finish it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
First Poll is up.

Fenders or No Fenders? I have a nice set of original fenders and running boards from a previous project. Use em or sell em? No fenders kinda define the hot rod thing but....

Drive train.

So the frame has GM SBC motor mounts already welded on. I like easy. However here is the options.

Ford 302 and an AOD out of a 88 Crown Vic. It would get converted to a carb, but would be a 4 speed auto. And stay Blue Oval (that's the motor on the pallet in the back ground)

GM SBC with either a Saginaw 4 speed, or an NV3500 5 speed
I also have a GM V6 out of an 84 pickup, same trannies can be made to work with it

Or

God forbid we want to be boring, and traditional. I have a running Flat Head that I traded away and then ended up with again, plus a ton of spare parts. I'd have to source a T5 for it.
View Quote
Flat head wouldn't even be boring and traditional anymore because everyone throws in ohv motors. "boring, and traditional" would be the SBC,

reverse flow turbo flathed. 
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely fenders and for God's sake don't cross-breed the fucking thing.

Put a Ford motor in it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
No fenders

No lemming v8 or v6 with the exception of a gmc 305 v6

It needs to have something weird for power. A Kubota diesel, an air Cooled Volkswagen in the front, some straight 6 or 8, a Deutz air Cooled diesel a Mazda rotary, something 2 stroke or even a liter bike engine, a dodge slant 6, an international 1/2 or full v8

For gods sake anything but a boring "well it needed some kind of motor" ford, Chevy Chrysler v8
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Madcap72:
Flat head wouldn't even be boring and traditional anymore because everyone throws in ohv motors. "boring, and traditional" would be the SBC,

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Fenders or No Fenders? I have a nice set of original fenders and running boards from a previous project. Use em or sell em? No fenders kinda define the hot rod thing but....

Drive train.

So the frame has GM SBC motor mounts already welded on. I like easy. However here is the options.

Ford 302 and an AOD out of a 88 Crown Vic. It would get converted to a carb, but would be a 4 speed auto. And stay Blue Oval (that's the motor on the pallet in the back ground)

I also have a GM V6 out of an 84 pickup, same trannies can be made to work with it

Or

God forbid we want to be boring, and traditional. I have a running Flat Head that I traded away and then ended up with again, plus a ton of spare parts. I'd have to source a T5 for it.

Just seems like everyone and their brother is putting flat heads in stuff these days. And the GM SBC is now a pharaoh. Whatever I choose it has to be something I can buy parts for at some random small town parts store.

My other wild thoughts where:
Toyota 22RE with a turbo or SC (Inline 4 w/ 5 speed)
4BT (I'd have to go the truck route)
Ford Inline 4 outta something already RWD that I can slap a turbo on.

I want something that is a driver, an honestly, flatheads are not distance drivers with any kind of real power. Parts (Water pumps!) are just too hard to source at random places. Same reason I don't want to get a Nail Head, or other rare V8.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Fenders
Go for broke.  427 FE
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:
Fenders
Go for broke.  427 FE
View Quote
427FE would be wild and awesome. Alsas, unlike most of ARFCOM I am not a man of a lot of means. The motor will be something I have or can source cheaply. Not to mention a 427FE wouldn't be much of a driver. Or who knows, maybe someone will wreck a custom Mustang or Cobra in the area and I can black mail the tow driver into giving me the motor? Cause that is the only way that is happening.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:02:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZekeMenuar] [#11]
427FE would be wild and awesome. Alsas, unlike most of ARFCOM I am not a man of a lot of means. The motor will be something I have or can source cheaply. Not to mention a 427FE wouldn't be much of a driver. Or who knows, maybe someone will wreck a custom Mustang or Cobra in the area and I can black mail the tow driver into giving me the motor? Cause that is the only way that is happening.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:
Fenders
Go for broke.  427 FE
Uncontrollable comes to mind.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:21:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krochus] [#12]

Just seems like everyone and their brother is putting flat heads in stuff these days. And the GM SBC is now a pharaoh. Whatever I choose it has to be something I can buy parts for at some random small town parts store.

I want something that is a driver, an honestly, flatheads are not distance drivers with any kind of real power. Parts (Water pumps!) are just too hard to source at random places. Same reason I don't want to get a Nail Head, or other rare V8.
View Quote
Then Kubota diesel and add turbo!

You will not need any parts but if you did you could get them anywhere

Plus if geared right it'd probably get 40 mpg
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:32:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#13]
Is that a TCI frame?  I ask, because that is how TCI does their rear cross member.

There is some TCI under here: 

Need coilovers?  I have some that leak but still ride pretty well.  I can get them to you for just shipping.  I also have a HD ford 9 inch truck housing I need gone but I don't see what state you are in.  The earlier smooth housings look better but are horsepower/torque limited. I also have a low mileage 3.00 gearset from Currie that I will never use, if you are only doing a 3 speed auto  or 4 speed manual (no OD) without super tall tires.  

Although almost cliche and boring, you cannot beat the smallblock 350 for dollar per horsepower and pure simplicity.  It is when you overthink these things that they become a nightmare.  

I may have missed it, but what body are you going with? 

That is the wife's purple Model A. 300hp crate motor, 700R4 with 3.73 and Detroit True Trac.  It was run with a turbo 350 and the 3.00 gears and then the 700r4 with same gears and it ran very well.  It is now pretty snappy with the 3.73.  I would recommend no steeper than 3.50 with overdrive and a shorter tire.  Two of my later builds have overdrive and 3.89 posi and 31 inch tall tires which seems about perfect.

These are some of the difficult early decisions, so I just figured I would throw that out there.    
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
This one was built in California in the late fifties. The last time anything major was modified was when it was painted red in 1970. I bought it from the second owner and talked to the the original builder shortly after I bought it. It has a Z'ed A frame and 1941 Mercury running gear with a Zephyr transmission. The seat is from an MGTD and the parking brake is a WWII aircraft flap control that stil has zinc chromate paint on it.

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Drive train.

Or

Some people are starting to put Toyota 2jz I6 motors in hotrods, super easy power with a turbo, 500+ with bolt ons, 1000+ with full builds.

The earlier 7m motors like in my car though, can be found cheap, and some people even give them away. The 6m version is carbed. Plus Toyota did an ok job standardizing stuff, so parts are stupid cheap.
7m's are tricky in that they are tough when built,  but have special needs like proper head gasket torque, and if wailed on, good oiling. Light duty they can just be overfilled up to a quart over. (I only do half) low oil is spun bearing city.

The Toyota 1uz motors are also tough, affordable, and aluminum and pretty light.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Is that a TCI frame?  I ask, because that is how TCI does their rear cross member.

There is some TCI under here: 

http://i68.tinypic.com/2mwhyj6.jpg

Need coilovers?  I have some that leak but still ride pretty well.  I can get them to you for just shipping.  I also have a HD ford 9 inch truck housing I need gone but I don't see what state you are in.  The earlier smooth housings look better but are horsepower/torque limited. I also have a low mileage 3.00 gearset from Currie that I will never use, if you are only doing a 3 speed auto  or 4 speed manual (no OD) without super tall tires.  

Although almost cliche and boring, you cannot beat the smallblock 350 for dollar per horsepower and pure simplicity.  It is when you overthink these things that they become a nightmare.  

I may have missed it, but what body are you going with? 

That is the wife's purple Model A. 300hp crate motor, 700R4 with 3.73 and Detroit True Trac.  It was run with a turbo 350 and the 3.00 gears and then the 700r4 with same gears and it ran very well.  It is now pretty snappy with the 3.73.  I would recommend no steeper than 3.50 with overdrive and a shorter tire.  Two of my later builds have overdrive and 3.89 posi and 31 inch tall tires which seems about perfect.

These are some of the difficult early decisions, so I just figured I would throw that out there.    
View Quote
Not a TCI. A random shop out of Delores, Co, Last Refuge Hot Rod. From the looks of things the front crossmember is the same one that Speedway and others sell, which is fine with me. I've got a Lincoln Disc brake rear end. But I'll IM you on the coil overs if you want to part with them.

I can't decided on which body, I've got two to choose from. But am leaning really heavy towards the Tudor for simplicity and cool factor.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RobertL:
This one was built in California in the late fifties. The last time anything major was modified was when it was painted red in 1970. I bought it from the second owner and talked to the the original builder shortly after I bought it. It has a Z'ed A frame and 1941 Mercury running gear with a Zephyr transmission. The seat is from an MGTD and the parking brake is a WWII aircraft flap control that stil has zinc chromate paint on it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG-0158-247789.jpg
View Quote
Sweet Roadster man!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#18]
Some people are starting to put Toyota 2jz I6 motors in hotrods, super easy power with a turbo, 500+ with bolt ons, 1000+ with full builds.

The earlier 7m motors like in my car though, can be found cheap, and some people even give them away. The 6m version is carbed. Plus Toyota did an ok job standardizing stuff, so parts are stupid cheap.
7m's are tricky in that they are tough when built,  but have special needs like proper head gasket torque, and if wailed on, good oiling. Light duty they can just be overfilled up to a quart over. (I only do half) low oil is spun bearing city.

The Toyota 1uz motors are also tough, affordable, and aluminum and pretty light.
View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Drive train.

Or

I don't know shit about those motors. I know the 22RE and the 5vz-fe well because of the 4 runners and pickups I've had.

Do you know if those(2jz) require the computer/ECM from a donor car?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know shit about those motors. I know the 22RE and the 5vz-fe well because of the 4 runners and pickups I've had.

View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Drive train.

Or

They do, or many use stand alone ecu's.  It's why I'm staying with a 7m for now, everyone swaps 7m's for the 1jz or 2jz  so 7mstuff can be had for cheap, and in some cases just given away, up to even built motors. Plus ecu's and wiring harnesses are easy to get.   But, either way, it's stone simple set ups for either,  imagine a 22re, with two more cylinders and a shit ton stronger motor (2j).

Plus they sound incredible. (both the 7m and 2j)
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#20]
They do, or many use stand alone ecu's.  It's why I'm staying with a 7m for now, everyone swaps 7m's for the 1jz or 2jz  so 7mstuff can be had for cheap, and in some cases just given away, up to even built motors. Plus ecu's and wiring harnesses are easy to get.   But, either way, it's stone simple set ups for either,  imagine a 22re, with two more cylinders and a shit ton stronger motor (2j).

View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Drive train.

Or

I'll inquire around if someone has a older supra lying around, or one they swapped the motor in. I'm intrigued, and it will drive people nuts.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll inquire around if someone has a older supra lying around, or one they swapped the motor in. I'm intrigued, and it will drive people nuts.
View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Drive train.

Or

Cool beans!  The motors came in a few different things as well, 2j's get imported a lot out of aristo's/ and domestically come out of lexus cars as well.

But yea, stuff like that dos drive people nuts, it's great, and it's my new favorite type of car on the scene, the hatermaker.  Where things are SO WRONG they're right.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Cool beans!  The motors came in a few different things as well, 2j's get imported a lot out of aristo's/ and domestically come out of lexus cars as well.

But yea, stuff like that dos drive people nuts, it's great, and it's my new favorite type of car on the scene, the hatermaker.  Where things are SO WRONG they're right.
View All Quotes
First Poll is up.

Drive train.

Or

Ultimately the goal with this is going to be an enjoyable driver. So I'm willing to do something off like a Supra motor, as long as it'll all fit and won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:35:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Not what the OP asked but I have got to believe some of the newer turbo V6 rigs in a light roadster would be tear assed.

Yeah I know everybody loves the four speeds but some of the newer autos that have 6 or more speeds would be pretty crazy.

Thing is you would have so much power in a light rig the thing would have to be built carefully to handle right.

Some of the roadsters I have seen have all the grace of a wheel barrow and handle about the same.

Lots of interesting power plants out there these days.

Heck,I graduated high school in 1972 , half the engines they put in socker moms suvs today  make way more power than anything
we saw on the street in 72
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By nhsport:

Thing is you would have so much power in a light rig the thing would have to be built carefully to handle right.

Some of the roadsters I have seen have all the grace of a wheel barrow and handle about the same.
View Quote
This is a very valid point. In a lot of ways unless you want stop light to stop light performance, too much horsepower is almost a bad thing with these cars. At the end of the day, it's an outdated suspension and steering system. I plan to run coil overs and a ladder bars on the rear, and the front will have a rack and pinion to help. But it is still a almost 100 year old front suspension design.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Ultimately the goal with this is going to be an enjoyable driver. So I'm willing to do something off like a Supra motor, as long as it'll all fit and won't break the bank.
View Quote
Fit... idk,   reliable daily driver?  A naturally aspirated 6m (carbs) from a mk2 supra, 7m (fuel injected) from a mk 3 or cressida would be cheap as dirt, and a good once over pretty darn reliable. A 2jz would cost a little more, but be stone cold reliable.  Plus, in that light of car, all three motors would scoot even NA.  Also, transmissions both auto and stick are easy to source.

Not what I would do, but an example; (I would leave that top cover off and try to make the motor look a little more vintage)

2jz 1931 Ford Model A Rat Rod
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Fit... idk,   reliable daily driver?  A naturally aspirated 6m (carbs) from a mk2 supra, 7m (fuel injected) from a mk 3 or cressida would be cheap as dirt, and a good once over pretty darn reliable. A 2jz would cost a little more, but be stone cold reliable.  Plus, in that light of car, all three motors would scoot even NA.  Also, transmissions both auto and stick are easy to source.

Not what I would do, but an example; (I would leave that top cover off and try to make the motor look a little more vintage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIT2FlDSdfc
View All Quotes

I like the way that sounds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:22:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Madcap72] [#27]
Yea they sound tough AF. 

Then again, they are Hemi engines.

Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Fenders for a driver, and Ford power, of course.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#29]
OST
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#30]
If you could figure out the carburetion and ignition a dodge v10 would be a very good looking powerful engine that would be cheap to buy and wildly different
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chairborne] [#31]

View Quote

7MGTE is a great motor, would be easy as pie to fit in the engine bay too.

ETA:  If you want a 1JZGTE I can find you a chaser here for <$4K and steal the motor.  I saw one sell recently for under $2K.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:36:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krochus] [#33]
Originally Posted By Striker:
you need to send that to me for safe keeping. 
I voted fenders.
As for a drivetrain..if it isn't a stick it isn't a hotrod.
If it was mine..I'd dig up a chevy 292 straight 6, build a stout bottom end and turbo the hell out of it.
View Quote
A ford 300 would accomplish the same thing but with far more engines available

A Jeep 4.0 would look nice. Be very good in terms of parts availability AND can have an excellent AX15 trans bolted to them. The aftermarket for them is pretty vibrant too
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Krochus:

A ford 300 would accomplish the same thing but with far more engines available
View Quote

The 300 is a great motor, would look badass with a turbo or two smaller turbos hanging off the side of it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:09:39 AM EDT
[#35]
how about another engine option thats still blue, kinda the yamaha built SHO motors?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:30:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Man you guys keep coming up with some crazy motor options. I put some feelers out on a supra motor that madCap talked about, see if anything turns up.

All I did tonight was hit the frame with a disc and knock off rust in a section, then primered it. I did pull the front end out from it and set it on saw horses so the height is better. Hoping next weekend to go pick up the rear end and body.

Pretty much decided on the Tudor Body.

On the steering trying to make up my mind,

Mustang II manual rack and pinion or a unisteer designed for the A. The MII I'd mount to the axle, the Unisteer mounts in the standard location you'd put a vega box.

The Uni steer is $ 370 ish from speedway and looks simple.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Unisteer-1928-32-Ford-Cross-Steer-Rack-and-Pinion,2033.html

MII parts are dirt cheap:
$149 at speedway but I'll have to do more fab work.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-II-Power-and-Manual-Rack-and-Pinions,2112.html

Leaning hard at the MII rack right now, $230 bucks is huge difference in cost and the MII parts I know I'll always be able to get.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:44:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#37]
I voted fenders.
If it was mine..I'd dig up a chevy 292 straight 6, build a stout bottom end and turbo the hell out of it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
Ive always been partial to 5 windows.  I have a 30/31 that has been "in progress" since 2006.  In all honesty don't have the time and will likely never finish it.
I voted fenders.
Im not sure what the CAD/USD conversion rate is these days but Im sure we could work something out.  Ill see if I can dig out some pics.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:42:20 AM EDT
[#38]
NoImpactNoIdea that is nice start to an awesome rod. FINISH IT!

I spent a bunch of time tonight listing shit on the EE for car funds. Shitty time to sell shit in this AR market though. LOL
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:06:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: karlb] [#39]
Use the 4 door body, but eliminate the front doors.  Slide the back doors/rear body forward to meet the cowl, making a short Bantam coupe type body with suicide doors.  Or just use the Tudor body.

Use the SBC with the 4 speed.  Easy, quick, fits well and your frame is already set up for it.

Get a reproduction Vega box.  The Unisteer's turning radius is HUGE.  The Mustang II rack should be mounted directly to the axle to work safely.  If it's mounted to the frame, it'll bump steer like crazy.  If you mount it to the axle, you'll increase the unsprung weight on the front.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Good luck. I have this at work right now.

Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
Good luck. I have this at work right now.

http://i.imgur.com/Bbhp6l8.jpg
View Quote
Nice, looks real clean and unmolested.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By karlb:
Use the 4 door body, but eliminate the front doors.  Slide the back doors/rear body forward to meet the cowl, making a short Bantam coupe type body with suicide doors.
View Quote
I really like that idea, maybe not this go around, but in the future.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By karlb:

Get a reproduction Vega box.  The Unisteer's turning radius is HUGE.  The Mustang II rack should be mounted directly to the axle to work safely.  If it's mounted to the frame, it'll bump steer like crazy.  If you mount it to the axle, you'll increase the unsprung weight on the front.
View Quote
Do you think using a tube front axle versus a I beam that the weight will effect it much?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:27:49 PM EDT
[#46]
No work on the car today. Work next 4 nights. Had court this morning.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Here's a '29 Briggs Blind Back Sedan on deuce rails that I started a few years ago. It got pushed to the side for a couple other projects and is currently just sitting.

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:07:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By RobertL:
Here's a '29 Briggs Blind Back Sedan on deuce rails that I started a few years ago. It got pushed to the side for a couple other projects and is currently just sitting.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/67156/IMG-0159-256572.jpg
View Quote
FINISH IT!
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:09:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Ordered a manual MII rack and pinion, steering arms(I have chevy spindles),  spring U Bolt kit and little stuff from Speedway. Live in NE so i have to pay tax but no shipping. $ 282.41 spent.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 4:19:04 AM EDT
[#50]
Some decisions got made today.
Power Plant will be a 327 block I have with the NV3500 5 speed, I need to get heads for it. The ones I have are shot I found out.
It will be the Tudor Body
Possibly have a Lincoln rear end lined up with rear discs. have to do some measuring.

I still really want to do something with that darn Toyota straight six idea of Madcaps, so I am still looking around here for a motor. If I find one I'll snag it up, and then it'll get set aside. I've got an idea in the back of my mind but it'll have to sit until this is done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top