Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2017 11:32:45 PM EDT
I just got new rear Centric premium rotors with the black e-coating on the rotor hat and disc vanes.  The inside of the rotor hat is coated as well including where the parking brake will make contact.  Is this a problem?  The parking brake is applied when the vehicle is stopped so technically I suppose it's not a "friction surface" but I don't want the parking brake shoes to get screwed up.

The regular disc brake pad mating surface is nicely machined & bare as it should be.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no personal experience with Centrics E-coated rotors but I have some Wilwoods that had the coating on the friction surface when new. The coating wore off during break in and had no ill effects on the pads.

I imagine there would be no concern with damaging your parking brake pads.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's the coating I'm thinking of and you're worried about it, it will come off with brake cleaner and light elbow grease...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I called Centric today and they said it wasn't an issue because it is just a parking brake.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just apply parking brake a few times while driving. It will come right off!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top