Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At 1200cc, it wasn't enough motor for a touring bike I think. My 103ci Road Glide Ultra (1700cc) was just about right, but I went to 110". Fully packed, 2 people, up a mountain road was not as strong as I would have liked. When my first V-rod got stolen, I dusted off my '77 1200cc FLH and I made it once around the block. Promptly sold it and bought another V-rod. It was just pathetically anemic after riding the V-rod. Even the 1800cc RGU is a lot of bark, not so much bite after riding an XDiavel. But different machines, with different purposes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought they messed up by not offering the Vrod motor in at least one traditional looking cruiser rather than jumping in with a whole new platform. They could have solidified the drivetrain and then offered the new platform down the road.

I ended up with a VTX in 02 after looking at a bunch of bikes but she he Vrod never appealed to me. Give me something similar to a Dyna Glide with that motor and it would have been pretty appealing. I think it probably could have worked in a touring bike as well where it would be a lost easier to hide it with cowling.
At 1200cc, it wasn't enough motor for a touring bike I think. My 103ci Road Glide Ultra (1700cc) was just about right, but I went to 110". Fully packed, 2 people, up a mountain road was not as strong as I would have liked. When my first V-rod got stolen, I dusted off my '77 1200cc FLH and I made it once around the block. Promptly sold it and bought another V-rod. It was just pathetically anemic after riding the V-rod. Even the 1800cc RGU is a lot of bark, not so much bite after riding an XDiavel. But different machines, with different purposes.
Size is irrelevant. Didn't it make more power than the big motor of the time? It had a lot of potential.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
If the GD HD did not weigh north of 700 lbs, the VROD engine is plenty of power for a bagger.  And that engine can be scaled up in displacement.  But that is MOOT.  They did not do it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Harducley...

Sounds like Hard Dookey.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Harducley...

Sounds like Hard Dookey.
View Quote
The Adventures of Duc Davidson in the 24th and a half century!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Here’s Why That Harley/Ducati Rumor is BS

Combination of brands could be successful but is unlikely to ever occur

On Wednesday we posted a story about rumors that Harley-Davidson may be interested in purchasing Italian brand Ducati, the latter being the subject of an almost constant barrage of rumors thanks to the perceived financial difficulties of its parent company, Volkswagen AG. It was an amusing story, good for getting people talking (which is what our social media guys value above all else), but let’s cast a critical eye on this thing: it’s almost certainly not true.

Certainly there’s merit in the idea of a merger. On the surface you might think Harley and Ducati are a mismatch, but stop to think about what both companies are really good at: branding. Harley-Davidson in particular. Ducati has achieved unprecedented success in recent years in part because it (like Indian, Triumph, and BMW) has ripped whole pages from the Harley playbook. That is especially obvious in the way Ducati has delivered its Scrambler sub-brand.
View Quote
http://rideapart.com/articles/heres-harleyducati-rumor-bs
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Except of course Harley has made V-rods for sixteen years and sold only God and the Motor company know how many. I see them all the time.
View Quote
Considering the engine was designed by Porsche & not in house, it should be selling better than traditional HD fare.  They have to outsource to get quality.

I can understand why they sell t-shirts & "signature" fare.  They survive on name "mystique", not on their namesake product, because they couldn't.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Emissions will kill Harley . The traditional Harley crowd wants 65 horsepower air cooled and noise along with Chinese leather . Never emission levels are going to require water cooled engines to live .   Harley has to do something to survive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:46:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Emissions will kill Harley . The traditional Harley crowd wants 65 horsepower air cooled and noise along with Chinese leather . Never emission levels are going to require water cooled engines to live .   Harley has to do something to survive.
View Quote
Exactly.  Air cooled is dead.  HD cannot even touch the tech that Duc has been rolling out.  But I fear HD will kill off the competition.  I used to like HD.  No more.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:50:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Exactly.  Air cooled is dead.  HD cannot even touch the tech that Duc has been rolling out.  But I fear HD will kill off the competition.  I used to like HD.  No more.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't you have the cool customized triumph?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  I have an air cooled America.  It has an oil cooler that works well.  No overheating issues with this.  All newer Triumphs are liquid cooled.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep.  I have an air cooled America.  It has an oil cooler that works well.  No overheating issues with this.  All newer Triumphs are liquid cooled.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No commentary on air vs liquid cooling, I just like your bike and wanted to make sure I had the right guy.

In my driveway right now, three air/oil cooled, two Ducati and one Yamaha, and one liquid cooled Honda.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
And any Harley in the past 30 years doesn't overheat either. As well Harley is already utilizing water cooled heads and has been for a few years now. We will see that migrate to all of the bikes in their line one day from necessity. I am certainly not celebrating it as I think it is utter EPA bullshit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And any Harley in the past 30 years doesn't overheat either. As well Harley is already utilizing water cooled heads and has been for a few years now. We will see that migrate to all of the bikes in their line one day from necessity. I am certainly not celebrating it as I think it is utter EPA bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suuure.  Went on a group ride a month or so ago and ran into stop and go traffic.  Temps maybe 80 degrees, and all of the Harleys had to pull over about every 20 minutes and let their turds cool down.  Fucking hilarious, and none of them are 30 years old.  I lived in Vegas for 6 years and rode every single day.  Lost count of the number of Harley riders I saw on the shoulder waiting for their turd to cool off while I cruised by on a modern bike.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:18:53 AM EDT
[#14]
First let me clarify my statement and say they can overheat. Any aircooled bike can overheat in the right conditions. Hell, I have had to cut my air cooled triumph off before in traffic. So I don't give a shit if it is a Harley, a triumph, BMW, Ducati, or DR650 given the right conditions you can do it. I don't ride a Harley right now. The only one I have is old. But I have ridden modern Harley's in high heat and stop and go traffic with no heat issues. To imply it is only Harleys is goofy.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:46:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.  EPA is making this happen.  Europeans have a similar experience and going to liquid cooling as well as other things such as ABS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Generally I think water cooled is good for designs and performance. But air cooled bikes are cool too in their own ways. The simplicity, the looks, and yes even the sound is different. I hate to see the refgs crammed down our throats.

I am still amazed the DR650 and KLR are still made with carbs and the DR is even air cooled. I like those bikes with carbs because I can fix them on the side of the road in Nicaragua or wherever. Sadly I know they too will be a thing of the past likely before long.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The whole motorcycle industry is way, way down from 10-15 years ago.

One difference you see from 10-15 years ago is a lack of sales to the white collar crowd. You used to see a Harley in just about every other driveway in my area in the early 2000's. Now there are none. I think I have seen only 2-3 Harleys on the road so far this year (and one was a vintage model).

The doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. of this generation aren't interested.
View Quote
You don't get out of the basement much do you.  So far this year 75-80% of the motorcycles I have seen on the road are Harleys.  They sell 250,000+ bikes a year and have for years.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 7:06:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You don't get out of the basement much do you.  So far this year 75-80% of the motorcycles I have seen on the road are Harleys.  They sell 250,000+ bikes a year and have for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole motorcycle industry is way, way down from 10-15 years ago.

One difference you see from 10-15 years ago is a lack of sales to the white collar crowd. You used to see a Harley in just about every other driveway in my area in the early 2000's. Now there are none. I think I have seen only 2-3 Harleys on the road so far this year (and one was a vintage model).

The doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc. of this generation aren't interested.
We live in different basements.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are deluded, bro.

In the 2016 fiscal year, some 159,500 601+cc Harley-Davidson motorcycles were registered in the United States.
In the 2016 fiscal year, Honda sold around 17 million motorcycles worldwide and about 308,000 to motorcycle shoppers in North America.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:20:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You are deluded, bro.

http://i.imgur.com/Bpqx5c3.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are deluded, bro.

In the 2016 fiscal year, some 159,500 601+cc Harley-Davidson motorcycles were registered in the United States.
In the 2016 fiscal year, Honda sold around 17 million motorcycles worldwide and about 308,000 to motorcycle shoppers in North America.
Craigslist has some crazy cheap Harleys these days. I'm old and broken enough I might actually add one to my stable when I get stateside.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You are deluded, bro.

View Quote
Yea, so that is a ridiculous comparison. You posted Harley's US sales figures which only includes large motorcycles then you compare them to Honda sales figures that includes 50cc dirt bikes.

The sales stats discussions have always been about large displacement street bikes. Your comparison is equivalent to saying Peterbuilt is kicking the shit out of Kia in tractor trailer sales.

As for world wide sales it again is apples to oranges. We in America use motorcycles for pleasure. That is a different scenario in Asia and Latin countries where they are still used as a cheap form of transportation by millions because having a car isn't possible for them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You are deluded, bro.

View Quote
Harley sells more 601cc+ motorcycles in the USA than any other manufacturer including Honda.  Percentage share has ranged from 48-55% of that market.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That is actually a lie.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-consumer-reports-motorcycle-ratings-20160127-story.html
View Quote
I currently own a Triumph, a Ducati and a Harley (my only experience with the HD brand). All are well made and reliable.

I've owned several Ducati's and BMW's, including two S1000RR's and found them to be reliable as well with very good fit and finish.

My first bike was a Yamaha - good bike. My second bike was a Honda, also a good bike, nothing bad to say about either of the marques.

I guess if you maintain them properly, they work well. At least that is my experience.

But Harley-Ducatison? No thanks. What they did to Buell, and the MV fiasco does not bode well for Ducati.

I'll probably never own another Harley - and I'll probably keep the one I have for many years to come, because it's a great bike that's fun to ride - but I lust after Ducati's and will likely buy more (if they survive the Harley acquisition).

-k
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 9:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Harley sells more 601cc+ motorcycles in the USA than any other manufacturer including Honda.  Percentage share has ranged from 48-55% of that market.
View Quote
Hmmm, let's make the cutoff of engine size just above the bresd and butter of sportbike sales...  sure, that's not slanting the numbers at all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hmmm, let's make the cutoff of engine size just above the bresd and butter of sportbike sales...  sure, that's not slanting the numbers at all.
View Quote
To be fair, the 600cc sportbike is effectively dead.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:17:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so? Everyone makes one and I thought they sold pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 2:50:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honda dropped the CBR 600from it's product line, but the other mfg still make them.  The market demographics shifted post 2009.  Now, 1000cc bikes loaded with modern electronic suspension control & engine management sell for $20k- $30k to adults too old &/or out of shape to ride them for more than ~20 mins.

The world isn't fair, but it is funny.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 8:13:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Not seeing it. Unless HD was going to rebadge Duk's and get back into road racing, but everyone would see right through that. Lets face it HD gives their huge following exactly what it wants, a big V-Twin with a single pin crank and close firing order that has a unique and robust torque curve as well as delivering the coveted Bah-bump........Bah-bump...........Bah-bump sound that for some crazy reason they find mesmerizing.

Different strokes for different folks.

My dream bike would be a MG Stelvio like adventure tourer with a silky smooth around 130 HP liquid cooled V-4 shaft driven Honda ST-1300 like engine.

Hello Aprilia..................
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Honda dropped the CBR 600from it's product line, but the other mfg still make them.  The market demographics shifted post 2009.  Now, 1000cc bikes loaded with modern electronic suspension control & engine management sell for $20k- $30k to adults too old &/or out of shape to ride them for more than ~20 mins.

The world isn't fair, but it is funny.
View Quote
Really?  That is interesting.  I presumed the 600 were where it's at due to lower cost.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not seeing it. Unless HD was going to rebadge Duk's and get back into road racing, but everyone would see right through that. Lets face it HD gives their huge following exactly what it wants, a big V-Twin with a single pin crank and close firing order that has a unique and robust torque curve as well as delivering the coveted Bah-bump........Bah-bump...........Bah-bump sound that for some crazy reason they find mesmerizing.

Different strokes for different folks.

My dream bike would be a MG Stelvio like adventure tourer with a silky smooth around 130 HP liquid cooled V-4 shaft driven Honda ST-1300 like engine.

Hello Aprilia..................
View Quote
You pretty much described the Aprilia 1200 Caponord.  

It's a quality bike.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Really?  That is interesting.  I presumed the 600 were where it's at due to lower cost.
View Quote
I think the whole demographic has shifted some in the entire market. The economy hasn't helped anyone and I think that the days of some kid getting a loan for a bike like it is candy is tapering off some. As well I think all things go in trends and markets go up and down. I don't see as many young guys riding as I used to but maybe that's just my impression. Then you have companies like BMW doing pretty well right now which is two fold. First their market is for 40 year old and older riders, with some exceptions of course and secondly ADV bikes are hot...again with older riders. ANd older riders are still buying bikes.

With everything factored in I don't pay much attention to slight ups and downs in a companies production numbers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh my!  There's a lot of sore rectums in this thread.

I personally think, as a guy who works in a fortune 200 company, this is a bad idea.

We purchase companies all the time, just so there's no competition.  I could see Harley wrecking the Italian Stallion, however I don't think it makes much sense to buy.  Harley pushes out more bikes in a Quarter, than Ducati does all year.  Harley also has the market clinched on the US market.  It could help them in the Euro markets, where Harley has a hard time selling.  This is mainly due to Euro laws on noise and emissions.  

Harley executives saw Buell as more of a plaything, for kids.  To this day, Harley pushes the $20,000+ touring market, and they do well in this area.  It gives them the most return on sales.

On the topic of said bikes, I don't have much experience with Ducati.  I've owned Yamaha's all my life, and switched to a Harley 3 years ago.  I personally couldn't be happier.  Before you ask, I'm a white male (at the time of purchase under 30 y/o)
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:02:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
From what I understand that is how the motorcycle industry brakes down motorcycle segments.  

BTW, only 75,469 sport bikes were sold in the USA from Oct 2015 to Oct 2016 and sales were down 4.7%.  https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/sport-bike-sales-usa-2016/

And for those who think Harley makes more revenue selling T-shirts and clothing:
Revenue from motorcycle sales = $4,122,113
Revenue from parts & accessories = $842,637
Revenue from General Merchandise (clothing) = $284,583
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/harley-davidson-reports-fourth-quarter-full-year-2016-results-300399165.html
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
From what I understand that is how the motorcycle industry brakes down motorcycle segments.  

BTW, only 75,469 sport bikes were sold in the USA from Oct 2015 to Oct 2016 and sales were down 4.7%.  https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/sport-bike-sales-usa-2016/

And for those who think Harley makes more revenue selling T-shirts and clothing:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/harley-davidson-reports-fourth-quarter-full-year-2016-results-300399165.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Revenue is not profit, but you knew that, right?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:04:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Revenue is not profit, but you knew that, right?
View Quote
Yes, and they still make more money selling motorcycles than t-shirts.  There are many posts made about them making more money selling t-shirts than they do selling motorcycles and that is what keeps HD afloat, which is bs.  The profit made from selling a Chinese t-shirt may be greater than the profit made from selling a motorcycle percentage wise, but they make the bulk of their money selling motorcycles.  But, I'm sure you knew that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your post is missing the notation that those figures are in thousands. Doesn't change the fact that motorcycles still drives their bottom line, but they still sold $285 MILLION dollars in clothing. That's a pretty mind-boggling number.

I'm a Ducati fanboi and have no use for HD, but the scale of the HD business over Ducati is pretty impressive. Worldwide in 2016 Ducati sold 55,451 motorcycles, with 8787 (I shit you not, ARFCOM's favorite number) sold in the USA. HD sold almost as many bikes in Europe as Ducati sold worldwide.

Ducati's net operating margin was about $58 Million in 2016 (7%), while HD's was $773 Million (14.7%).  So not only does HD almost generates more net margin than Ducati's gross revenue ($838 Million), their profit margin percentage is over double. Of course, it looks like HD has about $5 Billion in debt and long-term liabilities.

Sources:
http://investor.harley-davidson.com/mobile.view?c=87981&v=203&d=1&id=2240825
http://www.ducati.com/news/ducati_turnover_and_sales_continue_to_grow/2017/03/15/4487/index.do
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Well FWIW, there is this...

HD hires Goldman to do Ducati deal
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#41]
So it looks as if this is a done deal.

The question remains; what is the reason?

HD just came out with the Street Rod which is their feeble attempt at a sport bike.

So it looks as if HD is trying to break into that market, which is the Duc market.

So will HD kill off Duc as they did with Buell?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Dealer support for Ducati would be huge for the company.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

HD just came out with the Street Rod which is their feeble attempt at a sport bike.

So it looks as if HD is trying to break into that market, which is the Duc market.

View Quote
I don't think Harley was trying for a sport bike at all with the Street Rod. It has never been marketed that way and I don't think anyone has ever perceived it that way.

I think what happens here is that people become very emotionally attached to these machines, myself included. Sometimes we want to believe that everything these companies do is about bikes and making them great, which is almost never the case. In the end all motorcycle manufacturers are corporations that want to make money. My guess is Harley Keeps Ducati as Ducati and increases the brands presence. They likely see a brand they can make money with. No one I know of wants to see a melding of Ducati and Harley bikes. The company likely knows this and wont be risking their core demographic. The 87 people who ride Ducati are all concerned that Harley is going to taint their brand but I can assure you the millions of Harley riders feel the same way about Ducati.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:45:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Reasons?

- tech (yesterday was 1954, today is 2017)
- good R&D (to include MotoGP)
- better implementation of 3rd world built products (Scrambler)
- excellent brand (I would fully expect them to pump up the already decent Ducati pimp swag game)
- extremely strong bona fides is very non-Harley segments (adventure, super sport, sport)

Buell didn't bring any of that to the table.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if HD will put Ducati's for sale in their dealerships or just franchise sales out.

I can't imagine a HD dealership servicing a Ducati. The disdain you get from even mentioning another motorcycle brand there is extreme as it is now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:29:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
To replace all Duc engines with Twin Cam 103's.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
10/30/2009   Never Forget.
View Quote
This. Guess they are going to do the same thing they did to Buell, or end up dumping them like MV Augusta
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yes, and they still make more money selling motorcycles than t-shirts.  There are many posts made about them making more money selling t-shirts than they do selling motorcycles and that is what keeps HD afloat, which is bs.
View Quote
I presume everyone knows that's true, but it's still fun to joke about it.  Like "Harleys don't leak oil, they just mark their spot" etc.

If there are people who really believe that stereotype...
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Reasons?

- tech (yesterday was 1954, today is 2017)
- good R&D (to include MotoGP)
- better implementation of 3rd world built products (Scrambler)
- excellent brand (I would fully expect them to pump up the already decent Ducati pimp swag game)
- extremely strong bona fides is very non-Harley segments (adventure, super sport, sport)

Buell didn't bring any of that to the table.
View Quote
very true.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I keep hearing everyone all over the bike forums crying about Buell. But the reality is this situation is nothing like the Buell fiasco.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top