Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2017 3:40:19 PM EDT
I am looking for a jeep, any info on year class, models that have stood the test of time,

most dependable, best years of manufacture

I see a lot of them out on the road and for sale, but like everything else, is there some models and years
that are great, and if I could only find that,

no rock climbing in the desert for me, just a weekend rig to tow a duck boat, hunt with,
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
CJ2A is like a big Side by Side
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My 51 will be badass when I finish it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
CJ7 or TJ

I have a TJ and absolutely love it.

CJ7 is just a classic that will always maintain its value, the CJ5 is just too small.

The CJ8 Scrambler is my all time favorite, but they are too rich for my blood.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
A TJ is what you seek.   Mine is a '99 and I love it.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:44:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Scrambler would be my 1st choice. I have had two.
Really like my TJ unlimited.
Best all around would probably be a 2006 unlimited, I-6 with a 6 speed
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:01:58 PM EDT
[#6]
LJ Rubicon
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Being in the north east pretty much all CJs and early TJs will be out due to rust.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
LJ Rubicon with the 4.0 and 6 speed, with Dana 44s is #1.

LJ (non-rubicon) with 4.0 and 6 speed is #2

TJ Rubicon or Sahara (Only with Dana 44's) with 4.0 and AX15 is #3

TJ with 4.0 and AX15 is #4

YJ (Late model, with 4.0 and AX15) is #5

I have no idea about the older models. They're before my time.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#9]
05 TJ Rubicon, last year with the old style jeep body. I'm a bit biased though :) I've pulled my bass tracker all over Texas with it, never had a problem. Only other jeep I'd look at personally would be an LJ, longer frame 2 door always appealed to me, could hang a hammock in it if you wanted.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
05 TJ Rubicon, last year with the old style jeep body. I'm a bit biased though :) I've pulled my bass tracker all over Texas with it, never had a problem. Only other jeep I'd look at personally would be an LJ, longer frame 2 door always appealed to me, could hang a hammock in it if you wanted.
View Quote
Damn. My 06 LJ Rubicon must be worth a mint then!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Damn. My 06 LJ Rubicon must be worth a mint then!
View Quote
It is worth a mint! I don't want  to get rid of mine but what people are paying is crazy. I see 15-18k asked and they are selling.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#12]
96 yj is best
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
96 yj is best
View Quote
Actually, a Jeep with a 1996 build date would be a TJ. Jeep officially didn't release a 96, but did an "early release" of the 97s. Plenty of wranglers with a 96 build date that were vin'd as 97s. A lot of those TJ's had some odd part mixups and discrepancies where parts from the older version (YJ) were carried over.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Actually, a Jeep with a 1996 build date would be a TJ. Jeep officially didn't release a 96, but did an "early release" of the 97s. Plenty of wranglers with a 96 build date that were vin'd as 97s. A lot of those TJ's had some odd part mixups and discrepancies where parts from the older version (YJ) were carried over.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
96 yj is best
I used to have a 95 yj, build date in the door jam was December 1995 so it would have been a 96. The windshild fold down bumpers on the hood were the tj type rubber ones, and it had the tj tailgate hinges too.  The belt routing was not correct for 95's according to the actual Chrysler service manuals. Belt was different than 95's should be was a trial by error to figure out the right one. Model year splits are speshull.

My current one is an '03 tj Sahara with only 68k miles on it. khaki paint and interior, factory dual top option khaki hardtop and softop which is still like new only been installed about 4 times has about 8 months worth of sun on it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Another CJ vote............

But I am biased.......... :)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#17]
CJ7

when it breaks fix it yourself
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
For your uses?

A TJ. Hands down. A D44 rear axle would be preferable for towing.

And I've owned, or own, TJ, YJ, and CJ (3, 5, and 7).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Anything prior to 1982 that isn't rusted out or after 1997.

The TJs, 97-07 with the 4.0 V6 was really nice.

JKs prior to 12 were a little underpowered but drove great and did everything they're supposed to. JKU= 4 door
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:07:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm searching for a newer Jeep too.   Need to make space in the garage, so I'm thinking of selling my 2002 TJ, and my 2012 Focus to upgrade to a newer jeep with a hardtop so I can use it year round.  My TJ got very little use in the winter, and only has 60K miles.  I'm hoping to not have anything out of pocket after selling these two.   Looks like that puts me in the price range for a 2008-11 JK.   Anything to look for in that year range?  Known issues?
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#21]
CJs for classic Jeep, best looking but uncomforable to drive for extended periods.

TJ is best Jeep (my opinion), benefit of coil springs and retains the short wheel base that make a Jeep a Jeep.

JK is most practical Jeep, great for picking up kids and shopping.  Th JKU is the H3 of the Wrangler Iine.  More comfortable and spacious but the wheel base becomes a limiting factor on Jeepiness.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks for all the info, I am looking, but the pickins are slim around here
couple for sale  but they look like rust buckets as advertised, will report back
if I make a move.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#23]
CJs have weak frames compared to later models. They have the best look IMO, though. I HATE the look of JKs, with the goofy black plastic fenders that a little tree will destroy. At least I can hammer the steel fenders back out on my YJ & TJ. Plus JKs look as wide as a god damn full size pickup, which is probably the reason little trees destroy their fenders (we have a lot of very tight trails up here.)

If you're just going to get in and drive it, without a lot of hardcore 4-wheelin', an LJ is probably best for your use due to all of them coming with a Dana 44 rear. Problem is, people are asking and getting $20K or more for LJs when they weren't much more when brand new (an '06 LJ Rubicon was around $29K.) Buy a TJ Sahara or Sport because some of those have Dana 44s, or just buy any model with a 4.0l and swap in a Ford 8.8" rear axle. You get disc brakes and it's stronger than the Dana. You won't be beating on it so the C-clip axles aren't a problem.

My favorite is a YJ, I prefer leaf springs over coils & control arms because there's less shit hanging down to get damaged. Plus I like the ride and handling on the road. Yeah, I'm weird. After 2 TJs, including my current one, I want something that handles less car-like but can still be driven to have fun on winding back roads. YJs are more of a builder's vehicle because any tires much bigger than 31" will put the rear axle at risk.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#24]
If I didn't have big plans for it I would go XJ, WJ, ZJ every time.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#25]
friend/neighbor down the road may be selling his jeep
it is a 04 tj with a 6 cyl, 3" lift, 33" tires, rear locker, in great shape with 60g original miles

I talked to him about selling it a year ago, and he said not now, was asking him last night a few questions
and he said he was going to sell it soon to get his old lady a new car. I can buy it if I want

so what do you think is a sale price of a jeep like that, it is in great shape, garage kept, paint is 100% no rust.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]
'91 - '92 MJ

Stand out from the crowd!
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:42:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
it is a 04 tj with a 6 cyl, 3" lift, 33" tires, rear locker, in great shape with 60g original miles

so what do you think is a sale price of a jeep like that, it is in great shape, garage kept, paint is 100% no rust.
View Quote
In my area... It could be anywhere from 7500 to 12500. A lot depends on the quality of the parts used in the build.

If he threw a locker in the Dana 35, i'd plan on possibly having to replace a rear axle soon. Unless he did a super 35 kit, but even then, that will be the weak link.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In my area... It could be anywhere from 7500 to 12500. A lot depends on the quality of the parts used in the build.

If he threw a locker in the Dana 35, i'd plan on possibly having to replace a rear axle soon. Unless he did a super 35 kit, but even then, that will be the weak link.
View Quote
just found out last night that it is a willy's edition, if that makes a difference in a number
I am sure it would
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:38:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh, to me, none at all. To my knowledge, that was just a graphics package with no major performance improvements. I'd give more for a built base model than I would a stock rubicon, depending on the parts used. But that's going to depend on your intended use and future plans. If you want a cute jeep to drive on the weekends with the top down, go for it. If you want something you can thrash on the trails, climb a wall with, and then drive to work the next week, a built jeep is a better option.

2004 Willys Editions STANDARD FEATURES

* Exclusive Moss Green exterior color
* Unique “WILLYS” decal at cowl side
* Diamond-plate sill guards painted Dark Green
* Body-color fender flares
* AM/FM stereo radio with CD player and seven speakers (includes subwoofer in center console) – no extra charge
* 4.0L Power Tech I-6 engine
* Quadra-Coil™ suspension
* Command-Trac® four-wheel-drive system
* Tow hooks
* Fog lamps
* Full-size spare tire with matching wheel
* Lockable full-center console with four cup holders
* Removable half-doors and fold-down windshield*
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I am looking for a jeep, any info on year class, models that have stood the test of time,

most dependable, best years of manufacture

I see a lot of them out on the road and for sale, but like everything else, is there some models and years
that are great, and if I could only find that,

no rock climbing in the desert for me, just a weekend rig to tow a duck boat, hunt with,
View Quote

Gotta ask.....how much research have you put into this yourself ??

Because what you are asking, has been asked sooooooooo many times, and discussed soooooooo many times on Jeep forums,
  that if you had actually done some research, like even an hour's worth,  you wouldn't be on here asking any of those questions.

So spend some time on the internet, and search some jeep forums.

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:03:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Gotta ask.....how much research have you put into this yourself ??

Because what you are asking, has been asked sooooooooo many times, and discussed soooooooo many times on Jeep forums,
  that if you had actually done some research, like even an hour's worth,  you wouldn't be on here asking any of those questions.

So spend some time on the internet, and search some jeep forums..
View Quote
I thought I would come here and ask, get an honest answer from like minded people,who think normally , the jeep forums are full of
half wit libral ecco nut, bunny huggers,  who think anything they spent too much money on, is the way I should go.

what's the purpose of having a forum, if you can't discuss something?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top