Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2017 1:18:20 PM EDT
I just picked up a 2013 fat bob and I want to have the cams replace. The dealer has a few options and just want some feedback on what you all recommend. I did have the pipes replaced along with an air intake and tuner.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
The cam would be next.

You will be pleased.

As for what cam I cant tell you. I ran a 255 in my street glide.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#2]
the dealer was recommending a 585 cam, the complete job would run $1600
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
96" or 103"?

ETA: 585 looks like a cam for touring bikes.

I'll be back in a bit with a link or two.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the dealer was recommending a 585 cam, the complete job would run $1600
View Quote
And that includes what?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
How many miles are on it? How many miles do you plan to ride in a year?

It will need a oil cooler (jags) and an upgraded cam support plate, oil pump also and the inner outer cam bearings replaced.
Personally myself i would not reccomend a cam swap and remap. Lots of gremlins in their that should be fixed and upgraded while in the cam chest.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a 103 star other 2500 miles
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Find an Indy shop. The dealer is charging you a lot.  What did you pay for the other work?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:35:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It is a 103 star other 2500 miles
View Quote
If they are talking S&S 585, you wont have enough compression with factory 103 pistons and heads to optimize that cam, and it will be very soft on the low end.  Cyclerama 575,   andrews 57, or woods 777 would be my first choices.  If you want to use a harley screaming eagle cam, the old SE 204 with 1.725 rockers on the intake is an outstanding choice as well.  It has an old school lumpy idle that sounds great with true duals.  Any of these should put you around the 95 rwhp mark, or slightly better with the right intake, exhaust, and a good tune.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many miles are on it? How many miles do you plan to ride in a year?

It will need a oil cooler (jags) and an upgraded cam support plate, oil pump also and the inner outer cam bearings replaced.
Personally myself i would not reccomend a cam swap and remap. Lots of gremlins in their that should be fixed and upgraded while in the cam chest.
View Quote
The only thing you listed that needs replacing on the OP's bike are the inner caged cam bearings.  There are no outer cam bearings anymore.  Theres no reason whatsoever to replace the cam plate and oil pump unless there is scarring from excessive flywheel runout, in which case there are bigger problems.  Oil coolers are nice, but not needed on stock compression bikes, especially with a good tune eliminating the excessively lean condition the EPA imposes on these bikes to meet emissions.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The only thing you listed that needs replacing on the OP's bike are the inner caged cam bearings.  There are no outer cam bearings anymore.  Theres no reason whatsoever to replace the cam plate and oil pump unless there is scarring from excessive flywheel runout, in which case there are bigger problems.  Oil coolers are nice, but not needed on stock compression bikes, especially with a good tune eliminating the excessively lean condition the EPA imposes on these bikes to meet emissions.
View Quote
Ride a dyna 120 miles a day commuting in 120 degree weather. You will change your statement.  His profile shows NM. I'd do an oil cooler.
Mine is in the shop for a total rebuild top and bottom end at 58k miles
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#11]
OP:

For some more help stop by here:

HDForums Dyna Forum

Sign up and post your questions. You'll probably get more info than you need (or want ) I find it to be a pretty good all around Harley forum. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ride a dyna 120 miles a day commuting in 120 degree weather. You will change your statement.  His profile shows NM. I'd do an oil cooler.
View Quote
Why? What were the symptoms?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys for all the replays. There are tons of options for this bike and I feel I will be dumping a ton of coin in it
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, you can't take it with you. The money that is..........

The HDF guys may even be able to point you towards a reliable, trustworthy indy mechanic to do your work. Probably save you some coin.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does my 99 road king with a 117 count?  Been to AZ on it several times to see family in Phoeniz.  it's cammed, obviously, and makes 135 hp, no oil cooler.  Keeping compression modest and a very good tune go a long ways in managing heat.  If the Op's bike runs fine now without overheating issues adding a modest cam won't change that, as long as the tune is corrected properly.   Curious as to what happened to your bike?  Cause of failure?  You saying top to bottom makes me think excessive flywheel runout which scored the cam plate and oil pump.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I second the HD forums. I would do any sort of SE cam. Everyone recommends a non SE cam I believe because they're not CARB compliant.

I was looking at an Andrews or Reaper setup. Don't forget to leave funds for a good tuner.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does my 99 road king with a 117 count?  Been to AZ on it several times to see family in Phoeniz.  it's cammed, obviously, and makes 135 hp, no oil cooler.  Keeping compression modest and a very good tune go a long ways in managing heat.  If the Op's bike runs fine now without overheating issues adding a modest cam won't change that, as long as the tune is corrected properly.   Curious as to what happened to your bike?  Cause of failure?  You saying top to bottom makes me think excessive flywheel runout which scored the cam plate and oil pump.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what happened. Had to replace every sensor in throttle body due to oil being blown into it.
Excessive vibration
Metal shavings in oil
Last straw was a collapsed lifter.

Im putting in a s&s flywheel timken bearing of course
S&s camplate & oil pump
S&s 117
Heads port/polish bigger valves
Woods cams
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what happened. Had to replace every sensor in throttle body due to oil being blown into it.
Excessive vibration
Metal shavings in oil

S&s camplate & oil pump
S&s 117
Woods cams
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Excessive vibration
Metal shavings in oil

S&s camplate & oil pump
S&s 117
Woods cams
View Quote
Fucking terrible.  How hd gets away with flywheels that shift if you look at them wrong is mind blowing.  My 03 fat boy had .023 pinion runout at a whopping 10k miles.  Destroyed everything just like yours. I went 117 on that one too.  Who is doing your heads? @schmudd0811
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Excessive vibration
Metal shavings in oil

S&s camplate & oil pump
S&s 117
Woods cams
View Quote
Excessive flywheel runout has nothing to do with riding in the heat. Like Glock63 said, a proper tune means everything when it comes to eliminating the EPA forced heat inducing lean tune from the factory.

Headwork? Check out Hillside Cycle in NY. He's been at for 30 years and has plenty of great reviews from HDForums.com.

Hillside Cycle

ENGINE KITS:

choose your mod

My 85 Low Rider Evo heads and S&S E carb will be going in shortly for the 89" stroker mods
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Excessive vibration
Metal shavings in oil

S&s camplate & oil pump
S&s 117
Woods cams
View Quote
Buying Timken bearings is not a guarantee of quality. They source some of their bearings from Chinese manufacturers just like everyone else. Was both amazed and disappointed when I went to buy Timken wheel bearings for my 95 Suburban and they said "Made in China" on the box.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top