Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2017 3:08:46 PM EDT
Does anybody have one of the newer Kawasaki Ninja 300 motorcycles?  I'm looking to get back in to riding after a 10yr hiatus and am looking for something cheap and economical.  What are your thoughts/opinions?

This will just be used primarily for commuting and maybe some short day trips.  TIA!
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
get the 650.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're tiny and/or only intend to ride on 45mph roads, the 300 may well be the a right choice.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had 14 bikes.  Currently I own a 1200 and 1300.  I would still ride the fuck out of a Ninja 300.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had 14 bikes.  Currently I own a 1200 and 1300.  I would still ride the fuck out of a Ninja 300.  
View Quote
I'd get the R3 over a ninja 300. Much better and nicer bike.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one. 2014 SE ABS. Bought "used" that very year - only 800 miles on it, still under warranty. I was specifically looking for a smaller-displacement bike to blast around on. It was my fourth bike.

Hands down, best bike I have ever owned. It is the only bike that I would replace with an exact copy if something were to happen to it.

What do I mean?

Something happens to my Ducati ST2? Don't care at all any more. Probably replace with nothing. If I want another tourer, I will probably go for a FJR.
Something happens to my Ducati Scrambler? Meh. Might get a 800SS or 900SS (possibly another 300, keep the current one as the sportier track-ish bike, and another for commuting with a topcase and such).
Something happens to the little Ninja? Yeah, I'm getting another one ASAP.

I have also had a Suzuki SV650S and a Suzuki GS550E. I still had the SV when I got the Ninja. I had the SV for about another year, but probably only rode it 2 or 3 times. I would just rather ride the Ninja.

Quoted:
View Quote
I've only done a demo ride on a R3, but was VERY underwhelmed. After I got my Ninja, I started having second thoughts hearing about the R3s (they weren't available yet). When I finally rode one, I found that my concern was unjustified - I far prefer the Ninja.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're tiny and/or only intend to ride on 45mph roads, the 300 may well be the a right choice.
View Quote
LOL

I can tell you've never ridden one, nor known any motorcyclist who has.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ninja 500 is really underrated and worth looking at.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have one. 2014 SE ABS. Bought "used" that very year - only 800 miles on it, still under warranty. I was specifically looking for a smaller-displacement bike to blast around on. It was my fourth bike.

Hands down, best bike I have ever owned. It is the only bike that I would replace with an exact copy if something were to happen to it.

What do I mean?

Something happens to my Ducati ST2? Don't care at all any more. Probably replace with nothing. If I want another tourer, I will probably go for a FJR.
Something happens to my Ducati Scrambler? Meh. Might get a 800SS or 900SS (possibly another 300, keep the current one as the sportier track-ish bike, and another for commuting with a topcase and such).

I have also had a Suzuki SV650S and a Suzuki GS550E. I still had the SV when I got the Ninja. I had the SV for about another year, but probably only rode it 2 or 3 times. I would just rather ride the Ninja.

I've only done a demo ride on a R3, but was VERY underwhelmed. After I got my Ninja, I started having second thoughts hearing about the R3s (they weren't available yet). When I finally rode one, I found that my concern was unjustified - I far prefer the Ninja.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What do I mean?

Quoted:
Thank you for the write-up.  Much appreciated.  The one I'm looking at is a 2013 SE.  Is $3900 a good price?  It's got 3900 miles and looks to be in mint condition.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried the R3, not that ninja. I had a blast on it.
Getting you back in the swing of things; or short commuter,
it might not be a bad choice.
Not quite what I was after though.
That ninja se looks pretty sharp though
What part of WI are you in?

Heres my current commuter :)

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ninja 500 is really underrated and worth looking at.
View Quote
its the ninja 650 now
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
More motivation:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy an older model 600 for the same money.  Much happier in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6IeXnl4-YKc/WToJwzLN0gI/AAAAAAAAJY4/k1Mr0WK4aqQxAZmXJientmTOt2xlPSPFQCJoC/w530-h298-p/IMG_20170221_143728178.jpg
View Quote
Just a bit northwest of Madison.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The 300 does fine on the highway @ 80mph, if you weigh under 300 pounds. I have a z1000 and ninja 300 and I prefer the 300 for everyday use, it's  a fun bike. I have a white 2013 with 300 miles that I am selling in a few months.  I don't have much time to ride
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:04:35 PM EDT
[#15]
See if you can get a demo and take it out for a ride.
You might really like it, maybe not. What'd you ride before?
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:17:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought my son a nice used SE for Christmas. Only due to the fact that if I didn't buy him something smaller to learn on he was going to buy something too big. I've Been on bikes for over 30 years and I can't wait to ride that thing lol.  He's been out of the country since and hasn't bothered to title it yet. That bastard.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
See if you can get a demo and take it out for a ride.
You might really like it, maybe not. What'd you ride before?
View Quote
First bike was a Ninja 250r.  That was almost 20yrs ago.  I really loved that bike.  Sold it while in college.  Got a Honda Shadow a few years after graduating.  I liked it but it just didn't compare to the feel of a sport bike.  Sold the Shadow after a few years.  Marriage, house, and kids consumed all my time but ready to get back into it now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File
Here's the one I've got my eye on
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Check out Road Track and Trail in Big Bend

http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventory&vt=snowmobile#page=xPreOwnedInventory&sq=Ninja&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6IeXnl4-YKc/WToJwzLN0gI/AAAAAAAAJY4/k1Mr0WK4aqQxAZmXJientmTOt2xlPSPFQCJoC/w530-h298-p/IMG_20170221_143728178.jpg
View Quote
How did you mount that?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Couple homemade padded clamps on fork tube.
Use them on the dirtbike when ripping around properties,
Don't ride with rifle mounted to streetbike.
Looks good though... haha
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Taking it for a test ride today. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What do I mean?

View Quote
If I may ask, what makes you favor the Ninja 300 over the SV650S?  Just curious.

I just got back into riding after a 30 year hiatus.  1st bike was an '82 Suzuki GS450TX.  "New" one is a low mileage '02 BMW R1150RT, mostly because my wife was willing to ride with me.  I'm mostly loving the heavy BMW, but the bug has me wanting something light and nimble in addition.

The GS450TX is my baseline.  IIRC, that was a ~400 lb bike with 44HP which was entirely adequate for solo riding.  Ninja 300 is 362 lb / 39 HP.  SV650S is 375 lbs / 74 HP.  There's more to it than power/weight, so your insight would be of much interest.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#24]
And, I bought it.  Thanks guys! 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats! Now get rid of that frumpy looking exhaust
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Congrats! Now get rid of that frumpy looking exhaust
View Quote
One step at a time . I am surprised at how decent the stock exhaust sounds though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 9:28:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One step at a time . I am surprised at how decent the stock exhaust sounds though.
View Quote
It took me a long time to swap mine out. Just did it at the beginning of this year (before riding season, actually, so I had plenty of time to work at a leisurely pace). Entirely for reasons of performance - weight savings from the get-go. Power will be coming - I still plan on adding the fuel tuner module to go along with it, I'm just trying to space out all of my spending.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
clearly youve never ridden one
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isnt the Duke made in 300 now also? I like the looks of KTM
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Congrats!!!!........keep your head on a swivel out there.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been on one of the small Ninjas. The only way I could get out of the wind buffeting was to glue my face to the tank. Can't see much road when your neck only bends back far enough to let you see the handlebars through the visor.

Now I'll admit, I think this was an older 250, and I'm not the shortest or narrowest guy on two wheels, so my opinion may not mesh with yours. Maybe wind blast aimed at your ribcage is only annoying to me?

This thread has got me curious though. The next time I am near a bike shop I'm likely to stop in and see if my opinion has changed. 
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Duke is a 390 and it is in a different league power wise and just about everything else. I didn't recommend it because most guys who would own a ninja 300 aren't the kind of guys who will spend $5k on a single cylinder naked bike.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The Duke is a 390 and it is in a different league power wise and just about everything else. I didn't recommend it because most guys who would own a ninja 300 aren't the kind of guys who will spend $5k on a single cylinder naked bike.
View Quote
didnt know it was a 390.  I do love the look of it though.  That's not a bad price for it at 5k
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

didnt know it was a 390.  I do love the look of it though.  That's not a bad price for it at 5k
View Quote
The problem with the Duke is that bikes like the FZ-07 are just a little bit more money.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been on one of the small Ninjas. The only way I could get out of the wind buffeting was to glue my face to the tank. Can't see much road when your neck only bends back far enough to let you see the handlebars through the visor.

Now I'll admit, I think this was an older 250, and I'm not the shortest or narrowest guy on two wheels, so my opinion may not mesh with yours. Maybe wind blast aimed at your ribcage is only annoying to me?

This thread has got me curious though. The next time I am near a bike shop I'm likely to stop in and see if my opinion has changed. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They changed the aerodynamics on this model vs. the older 250.  I second your opinion on the wind buffeting on the older 250.  I had one and I remember that.  I can say confidently after the first 150 miles I've put on that I hardly notice it at all.  I think the aero redesign and floating windscreen really make a difference.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 2:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Going cheap?
Get a used 250 Ninja.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Going cheap?
Get a used 250 Ninja.  
View Quote
And then in a couple years, sell it for what you paid.

I had a bunch of EX250 and 500's.Then one 250 badged as Ninja for my daughter.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your thread is in need of a picture.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Your thread is in need of a picture.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 11:33:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Great bikes. I bought one for my first motorcycle and am completely happy with it. Don't listen to any haters saying it's under powered, they have plenty of stank to put a smile on your face.
They really start to smooth out at around the 1500 mile mark and feel more fluid.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Local dealers have them in the ads today for $4400 for a '16 model. That's tempting enough for me to want one..
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Local dealers have them in the ads today for $4400 for a '16 model. That's tempting enough for me to want one..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was debating getting a 390 Duke myself. The reviews are all positive. Or a used SV650s, Honda 919 or even the oddball BMW F650cs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top