Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2017 8:08:36 PM EDT
I have a paid off '13 G37 coupe.  45K miles, no wrecks, S model.  Already have replacement vehicle (family gift).  What is the SAFEST way to get the most money?

ETA:  I guess I'm looking for a safe sell that also won't screw me over and lowball me.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think your problem with face to face is that the car is worth enough that most would want to finance it. They still can although you might have some extra steps to go through to get the bank check verified where it will cash.

The easiest is going to be selling it to a dealer(carmax or other). You will get more money selling it to an end user though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#2]
what year car are you being gifted?
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
i would say that carmax would be safest.

a auction would be safe but money would be low

face to face would probably most money but can be sketchy

imo never would hurt to see what carmax would offer then go from there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
2009 lexus suv with 60k miles great condition.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd sell that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, CL, but how much is your time worth?

Get a quote from Carmax, etc.   I suspect it's gonna be low.

Let us know.  Maybe you can hook a brother up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:53:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It doesn't hurt to get a quote from local dealers (including a carmax, if local), but they will generally lowball you - like WAY low.

I do as I did, and list it on CL and Autotrader. Autotrader isn't free, but a basic listing isn't much. I ended up selling my car to an out-of-state small-time dealer via Autotrader - he came up here and got it. Other local dealers were generally $750-$1000 less than what he bought it for. One dealer eventually upped their offer to be in line with what I sold it for, but that was about four months after I had already sold it (I got a letter in the mail saying they would now offer me $X if I still had it), which was almost five months since I received the initial quote.

A lot of it comes down to how much you feel it is worth your time, more than anything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd sell that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd sell that.
If it's a GX470, it would be dumb to sell. They are fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honestly, CL, but how much is your time worth?

Get a quote from Carmax, etc.   I suspect it's gonna be low.

Let us know.  Maybe you can hook a brother up.
View Quote
Get a carmax quote, so you'll know the low end, offer it locally thru friends, FB, etc and figure out what your time is worth.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#10]
CarMax as a floor / back up.  You know you can always get that figure and paid on the spot.

You will get most if you can private sell it, but again, that amount most buyers would need to finance so that could be an issue unless they are a cash in hand buyer.

If they are a cash buyer, meet them at their BANK to have a cashiers check made out to You *** THERE AT THE BANK WHILE YOU ARE WATCHING *** .  You can explain that the buyer can use his / her banks notary for the signing of the Title to him / her...
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
There's 4 ways to do this as this car is fairly new but of higher end that you will attract people with credit who are smart enought to know how to get their own financing. but... it may take a while.

1. Ebay - national audience and if you are in a cheaper market a dealer or buyer in a higher market may see your car as a deal and make the trip to buy it.  you'll need ass loads of pictures.  
costs like $70 to do this.

2. At the same time run a craigslist ad but be prepared for ass loads of shit emails (DO NOT LIST YOUR NUMBER IN THE AD)

3. Autotrader or other online car listing site.  These are dieing so dont expect much from them.

4. Sell it to a place like Carmax, you will get about wholesale for it but it is sold and hell you may not be able to find a private party to buy it which commonly happens with cars that are newer / more expensive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Craigslist.  You'll know when you have some one serious as it's easy to weed out the tire kickers.  Use a Google Voice number.

Short of giving it away to a dealer your going to have to put some time and effort into it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]
update: Took it to CarMax.  They gave me about 1k more than I was expecting.  The funny part is they actually present two offers; one from CarMax and one from some third-party wholesaler.  So the guy goes your offer is "$14,500" and I started to decline... then he said the second offer is $20,000.    I kinda wonder why present two at all... both are cash (check) offers... so I'll always take the higher one.  

Overall I was happy with my experience there and will keep them in mind in the future.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
  I kinda wonder why present two at all... both are cash (check) offers... so I'll always take the higher one. 
View Quote
that's how he sells you the idea that he's your friend.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
update: Took it to CarMax.  They gave me about 1k more than I was expecting.  The funny part is they actually present two offers; one from CarMax and one from some third-party wholesaler.  So the guy goes your offer is "$14,500" and I started to decline... then he said the second offer is $20,000.    I kinda wonder why present two at all... both are cash (check) offers... so I'll always take the higher one.  

Overall I was happy with my experience there and will keep them in mind in the future.
View Quote
Curious if you could briefly explain the process you went through at CarMax.  Do they allow you to keep your eyes on your vehicle as they evaluate it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Cars.com
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
They walked around the car with me and got mileage.  Went inside and answered questions like aware of accidents, liens/debt on car, etc.  A tech went out and drove it and evaluated it.  30 minutes later they presented me with the offers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#18]
I've always went with eBay, for the $70-150 they charge, I take pictures and write out a description and post it, my account is 500+ feedback with 100% but im willing to pay that small amount to not have to deal with idiots off craigslist that are flakey, or take it for a joyride and then want to lowball me or ask me if I can finance it. last time I sold one of my cars, the lady overnighted me a bank check, waited for it to clear and I picked up the person she flew down in the car and they drove it home from the airport after I took off my tag after getting off airport property, and they drove it back to Illinois from Florida .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top