Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2017 10:39:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#1]
When my front right bearing went out on my 2010 Tacoma the grinding noise was significant.  Didn't sound like road noise for sure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Find a lonely stretch of road.

Get up to a speed where you can hear the offending noise. Weave back and fourth smoothly but firmly enough to get some weight transfer going.

Does the noise change with the motion?

If yes the it's likely a hub/bearing assy.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:06:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Get up to a speed where you can hear the offending noise. Weave back and fourth smoothly but firmly enough to get some weight transfer going.

View Quote
Yes.  My bearing noise would really start around 40 mph.  I will remember your advice in the future.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#4]
When you jack up the wheel and spin it, what does it sound like?  Does it feel smooth?  How long does it spin?  Can you grab the top and bottom of the wheel and get it to move?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
My 2006 Prerunner got 180K Right and 210K left
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
this technique works well
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 7:38:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When you jack up the wheel and spin it, what does it sound like?  Does it feel smooth?  How long does it spin?  Can you grab the top and bottom of the wheel and get it to move?
View Quote
Do the back-and-forth, speed-up-slow-down test.  Then I'd get it up on a lift or jack stands and confirm which side with the top-and-bottom test on each wheel.

but you should really try to nail the noise down before you start replacing parts.  the front end has a lot of stuff going on, some of which could create a grinding noise during failure... not just the wheel bearings

this is one way to tell, by rolling it and look-listen-feel.  but it could also diagnose a caliper rubbing on a dust shield, which is popular
07 Tacoma - Bad Wheel bearing

if they're bad they will rock up-down or back-and-forth, typically more play is presented the worse the failure is or becomes.  if you rock the wheel up and down and get play, see if the wheel moves by itself.  if other parts are moving as well, then you may have something else going on

here's an example of that test:
Toyota Tacoma bad wheel bearing
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagging this thread.

My 2010 Tacoma has a slight vibration in the front end and I noticed a bit of what looked like grease seeping out where the wheel bearings live when I was in there doing brakes last week.

The challenge with mine is that it is a 5 lug truck (X-Runner) and I can't find shit about how the wheel bearings are configured for this truck. I have no idea if they are sealed bearings like the other trucks or conventional bearings like my previous 1st gen 2wd tacoma or my older 2wd pickup.

Plenty of info out there for the Prerunner and 4x4 (6 lug) but very little about the 5 lug Base and X-Runners.

Also: I agree with the OP about becoming less impressed with late model Japanese stuff.
While light years more powerful, comfortable and feature rich then the older stuff, the build quality seems to have gone downhill. Everything from thin, crap paint to lower quality plastics, fittings and hardware. It just isn't the same.

I own several older toyota/Lexus vehicles and have worked on all of them, from simple fixes to frame off restoration type work. They are just screwed together so much better then the new stuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:...

Also: I agree with the OP about becoming less impressed with late model Japanese stuff.
While light years more powerful, comfortable and feature rich then the older stuff, the build quality seems to have gone downhill. Everything from thin, crap paint to lower quality plastics, fittings and hardware. It just isn't the same.

I own several older toyota/Lexus vehicles and have worked on all of them, from simple fixes to frame off restoration type work. They are just screwed together so much better then the new stuff.
View Quote
The NUMMI Fremont plant with its shitty GM quantity-over-quality model for popular vehicles is to blame.  
Additionally, if you have a (2009-2011) "transition truck" you can kinda count on the assembly quality being a bit hit--or-miss, or simply sub-par.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If brakes were done last week I'd be suspicious of a backing plate touching a rotor.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top