Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2017 8:49:18 AM EDT
I looking to buy a RAV4, older model.
I am not looking for new and shiny, rather something as a second vehicle with a v6 to sometimes drive on dirt roads, road trips, etc.

I found this listing here Toyota RAV4

How is the price for that vehicle?
I am not sure about the "Choice Cars for Cash", it states the vehicle is sold as is, does that mean there is something wrong with it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Around here, trade on that is about 5K, private party price around 6500......    depending on how you like to deal with car lots (I tend to be REALLY REALLY CHEAP) $7500 would be top of the mark for me, if it had no problems......     again, just my .02       good luck!!!!

most all used vehicles from dealers are going to be as is....  it is too cover their butt if something goes haywire.    With that said, some unscrupulous dealers sell lemons with the caveat, so you need to find a trustworthy mechanic, and pay him well (most are happy to look it over for around $100) for pre inspecting your purchase.... If the dealer will not let you take it to your chosen mechanic, run don't walk away.   a non biased set of eyes will save you from potential trouble.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I looking to buy a RAV4, older model.
I am not looking for new and shiny, rather something as a second vehicle with a v6 to sometimes drive on dirt roads, road trips, etc.

I found this listing here Toyota RAV4

How is the price for that vehicle?
I am not sure about the "Choice Cars for Cash", it states the vehicle is sold as is, does that mean there is something wrong with it?
View Quote
Many new car dealers with used lots only like to keep newer, lower mileage vehicles on their lot and send all others to auction ASAP.  I would assume any used car is going to be sold as-is without any warranty regardless but I wouldn't necessarily assume something is wrong with it.  It's over 10 years old and has over 100k miles so it's probably just something they don't want to keep around.

Overall it looks pretty clean and the mileage is relatively low for its age.  I think it would be worth checking out in person if you are interested as online pics can be very deceiving.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I was thinking the v6 auto had a tranny problem
and it does
among other things
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:55:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Bought the wife a 2012 Rav4 new...fantastic rigs. I like driving that better than my 14' Tacoma. Many more amenities too.
Good luck OP...can't help with the "is this a good deal".
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My Son in Law has a new Rav4
My Daughter has a 2016 Subaru Impreza.

They live in Minot ND, It snowed this last winter when we visited.
BOTH GOT STUCK SO BAD, I was embarrassed.

Re think the dirt part, if you are thinking it is a 4x4.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a lot of money for an 11yo RAV4.  And yes, while the V6 sounds good, they did have tranny issues in it.  

Either go for the 4banger or upgrade to a Highlander.  I drove a 2008 Highlander V6 for eight years and it was problem free.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Son in Law has a new Rav4
My Daughter has a 2016 Subaru Impreza.

They live in Minot ND, It snowed this last winter when we visited.
BOTH GOT STUCK SO BAD, I was embarrassed.

Re think the dirt part, if you are thinking it is a 4x4.
View Quote
If they got stuck in snow, it wasn't because of the cars.  Either your daughter and SIL have no idea how to drive, or they had unsuitable rubber on the wheels.  RAV4 isn't an off road vehicle by any stretch, but it shouldn't be hampered by snow or an unpaved road.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Great insights all around, thanks guys.
I think I will skip this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top