Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2017 4:48:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#1]
wow I am suprised they actually covered that. Most everyone I have seen have those issues the dealers told them they were SOL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#2]
that was your warning OP, get a full size GM SUV or a 4runner and drive that sum bitch for the next 10 years with minimal fuss.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
that was your warning OP, get a full size GM SUV or a 4runner and drive that sum bitch for the next 10 years with minimal fuss.
View Quote
And get the 4.8 or 6.2 that don't have the AFM bull shit or get a plug in and deactivate that shit. Then you might have something

ETA - I see they quit making the 4.8
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:48:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought those were chinese built V-6's.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Here is my old thread on this car: Link

So wife has a 2010 chevy equinox w/79k miles on it. Its been a good little car. It had the HPFP replaced a while back by the dealership. No other big issues. It does use a little oil here and there but Its maybe a qt in 7k. Nothing huge.

Wife drove it to CO for a spartan race and said she checked the oil when she got there(I told her too on trips). When she got home she said it sounded funny but still ran ok. On the way to work yesterday it was running rough. She said it about stalled out on her. I told her it was probably bad gas and to add some iso heat to the tank which she did. She calls me after work and now there is a CEL and a "reduced power" warning in the dash. She ended up leaving it at work.

This morning after I get off shift I go look at it. Start it up and its running rough, whining and knocking. I shut it off and check the oil. Nothing. I ended up adding 2 1/2 qts (holds 5) and it came up to half on the dip stick. I started it again and it sounded better but was still rough. No leaks found. Just a small weep on the bottom of the motor/trans.

So off to the parents to grab the car hauler. Got it loaded and ran it home. I called my buddy who works at a dealership in missoula and he talked to a tech. Said there is a oil consumption issue with that motor and I need to take it into the local dealership. I dropped it off and they called me a couple days ago. They covered everything under the oil consumption TSB and the timing chain TSB. New pistons, rings, timing chains and a bunch of other parts.

We just picked it up today and its crazy how much quieter it is. I noticed it was louder but never realized how loud it was. So now we have to figure out if we are going to keep it or sell it...

Its crazy how just a short bit ago I had asked about issues and then all the sudden they hit. Im Just glad we didn't have to eat this one..
View Quote

I told you was covered under a special policy, there are guys at dealerships that bang out 5-6 piston/timing chains on the 2.4 a week.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I figured it would have to be a documented consumption. I also didn't read into it because we were not experiencing the issues. Now I know...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I told you was covered under a special policy, there are guys at dealerships that bang out 5-6 piston/timing chains on the 2.4 a week.
I figured it would have to be a documented consumption. I also didn't read into it because we were not experiencing the issues. Now I know...
Normal warranty oil consumption requires a consumption records for approval. The 2.4 has such issues that there is a Special Policy for Pistons and timing chains. Special Policies go past the normal 5/100K Powertrain warranty. The Special Policies are one flat rate at a pretty discounted rate with no additions times. There is a Special Policy on the 6T70 transmission for broken wave plates, you don't get a full rebuild just the parts to fix the wave plate on the 35R clutch.

There were also Special Policies on the LB7 for injectors and on the 6.5 for injector pumps. Some days I would replace 3 6.5 injector pumps.

Special Policies are also a one time repair, once it is done you can't do it again so if a part fails it is under the 12/12K parts warranty.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Copy. My main concern was other internal damage caused by the low oil. The service rep said the tech didn't find any other damage..

Again I hope this car lasts another year and a half till my truck is paid off...
View Quote
It should be OK, just check the oil and CHANGE it every 5,000 miles fuck the OLM that has the oil changed every 10K. Use a good brand of oil and filter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:49:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:42:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ok.

We were changing it every 5k with either penzoil platinum or napa full synthetic oil. And a napa platinum filter.
View Quote
Op, not wanting to turn this into an oil thread but get Mobil1 and an AC Delco filter.  Use nothing else.  Pennzoil platinum is overrated, expensive and does NOT out perform Mobil1.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:35:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
We are starting to see 1.5 engine piston jobs. Been waiting on piston set for a week now. 8500 miles on the engine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Is that why my 2016 sounds like a diesel sometimes?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We are starting to see 1.5 engine piston jobs. Been waiting on piston set for a week now. 8500 miles on the engine.
View Quote
The 1.5 is a real POS, pistons getting burnt up, turbos going bad. GM did a bad bad job on the software in ECM plus not using a full synthetic oil in a turbocharged engine and trying to go for 10,000 mile oil changes.

Funny part is Ford seems to have done a better job on their Eco-Boosts, I've replaced a whole bunch of GM's turbos on vehicles in the 7,000-14,000 mile range. I think the difference is Ford had a lot riding on their Eco-Boost engines and required the supplier to build a better quality turbo.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 9:26:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#20]
We had the same issues on our 2010...wife looked the car/thing, but being in the shop ever other week sucked. We got to the point it was a "what's next " feeling every time you turned the key.

Best thing we did was trade it in and end the bullshit..

Ours had the hpfp done, the pistons,timing belt, wheel bearings , 2 exhaust manifolds and a catalytic converter.

The cat was at the same time as the pistons. GM said the oil blowing past the pistons does not effect the cat or O2 sensors. Ended up paying $200 installed for a new GM cat, not a Napa one.
And the cat was 1300 miles out of fact warentee.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't have any valuable input other than suggesting to dump that as soon as you can and either go with a fullsize (if you need the capacity) or a 4Runner if you want to stay mid-size. Sorry you bought a GM that wasn't a sports car or truck-based product

Quoted:

And get the 4.8 or 6.2 that don't have the AFM bull shit or get a plug in and deactivate that shit. Then you might have something

ETA - I see they quit making the 4.8
View Quote
It was the lowest % of production, so...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top