Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 4:26:26 PM EDT
Got this code a few weeks ago. When it was 100 degrees outside while I was pulling into my driveway my car stalled.

A/C was still running. Radio was still playing.

Checked and got this code:

I ordered a new Genuine Nissan Crankshaft Sensor. Installed it yesterday.

First car start after the install was fine. No codes or "Check Engine Light"

Drove car around the block. All was well.

Patted myself on the back for a job well done and $150 savings.

Started the car up an hour later and the car hesitated and the starter was on for 4 seconds before it finally started. "CHECK engine light" kicked on and same code as above pic.

Changed out the ECM relay our with a new genuine ECM relay. Car still will not start and still have the same check engine light/ code pop up.

Went to Oriley's this AM. Tech said, yep your battery is dead. It's been 2 years and I think it was a 2 year battery. I said okay replace it.

Replaced battery with a brand new one. Still will not start without a 4 second constant start up.

While I did get the car running, I disconnected the negative terminal to see if it was the alternator and the car ran fine for a minute. Installed negative battery back.

What's causing my car not to start? I have not had the engine stall yet since a week ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Was the sensor you replaced the annoying one on the back of the head? If not, that may be the one that has quit on you. Common cause of no-start or stalling conditions on these trucks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was the sensor you replaced the annoying one on the back of the head? If not, that may be the one that has quit on you. Common cause of no-start or stalling conditions on these trucks.
View Quote
Back of the head? Don't know what that means. Sorry.

This is what I replaced.

Behind the passenger side front tire.

Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC on these VQ engines a malfunctioning camshaft position sensor can make this code occur... sounds wierd but it fools the computer.  Was told this by a guy that had a similar issue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
IIRC on these VQ engines a malfunctioning camshaft position sensor can make this code occur... sounds wierd but it fools the computer.  Was told this by a guy that had a similar issue.
View Quote
I replaced the Camshaft sensor and still have the same problem.

I read on thenewx.org forums of the white IPDM board going bad.

Ordered a new one on amazon. Most said the new board fixed their starting and other electrical problems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've read about that too.. hope that fixes it
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Took it to a mechanic. My new crankshaft sensor that I just replaced was bad....

He wanted $250 to change out the new sensor.
I kindly told him no thanks that I will replace the $20 part myself. It requires removing a front tire, removing the plastic tire guard, disconnecting a wire plug, removing 1x10mm bolt, replace sensor, screw down 10mm bolt, plug back the wire plug, install tire guard and install tire.

I ordered a radiator and crankshaft sensor my my xterra and both parts were bad (radiator had a hole in it)

0 for 2.

Does anybody make quality car parts anymore?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Just installed the new crankshaft sensor. Car works great.

What a nightmare a new faulty $20 part can cause.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:48:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, I know you have fixed this already but I had the same exact thing pop up, and I had the same issue as you.

It turned out that the sensor I was supposed to replace was between the top of the engine and the firewall right in the middle of the cab.

If this issue pops up again for you, pm me and I will tell you what I learned from my issues, but hopefully you got it fixed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:31:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, I know you have fixed this already but I had the same exact thing pop up, and I had the same issue as you.

It turned out that the sensor I was supposed to replace was between the top of the engine and the firewall right in the middle of the cab.

If this issue pops up again for you, pm me and I will tell you what I learned from my issues, but hopefully you got it fixed.
View Quote
Will do, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Update.

I'm an idiot. The hole in the radiator is infact not a hole but grease! I just scraped it off.

There is a reason why I'm not a pilot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top