Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 6:07:28 AM EDT
... ground?
Never had much problems with a leaky battery before.
Well, at least I think it leaks as the metal bracket that holds it in is rusting.
I've always replaced the batteries when they finally gave out (usually during winter).
So, is it time for a new one?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 7:32:22 AM EDT
[#1]
First off , remove battery , clean it and battery tray , repair and/or paint battery tray.

Sometimes a perfectly fine battery will grow some corrsison on the terminals and then after it gets wet it drains down onto the tray causing rust and so forth.

Cleaning stuff up allows you to watch the area and see if the battery is actually leaking.

Another question is if the battery is under warantee ?

Short answer , sometimes the battery just needs cleaning , if it is actually leaking you want to replace it before it rots a bunch of stuff
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:44:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Have your alternator voltage output checked. Could be over charging.  If ok do as other poster suggested.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#3]
It's important to neutralize the acid with baking soda, rinse, paint, then don't let it happen again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Battery isn't leaking. It's probably just off-gassing.
If you can check fluid levels - do that. Be REALLY careful of that bracket. It's edge will be sharp.
Neutralize the acid. Coat the terminals with petroleum jelly.
If you're worried, take it to AutoZone to test.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:00:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]
The baking soda works great to neutralize any spilled acid. I haven't had any rust after my battery developed a small leak about two years ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top