BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:41:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want a comfortable bike, check out a 2012+ Suzuki DL650.  They have plenty of power and they are pretty nimble.
View Quote
Huge+1 to this, plus they're super versatile, reliable, cheap to own and maintain, and a lot of fun to ride.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Has the Vstrom been thrown out yet. If you are older you'll appreciate the upright ergos.

Had a vfr, great bike but after 700 or 800 miles I was toast. Still wish I had my yellow 2000.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Big issue is what support do you have in the area?
Around here it's mostly HD. Any other brand and it's a trip for parts/service.
Sportsters are pretty cheap on CL and come in all styles. If you don't like it you can pretty much get what you paid for it later.
And you will be able to get parts for the next 100 years.
Ditto on the class, though. Start there.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
FYI, no lack of dealers for all the other brands around here, but I still wouldn't count on them for parts at all. Nobody really stocks much of anything unless it's universal or really, really common (like oil filters). It's always been cheaper and faster for me to just order it myself.

ETA - If you aren't going to service it yourself, I would say that you need to find somebody you would trust first, and see if that limits what brands you consider. I personally don't trust any of the dealers here to do anything. I am still agonizing over having to take in one of mine for a recall on a sidestand bolt. I'm hoping I can get it set up to that I can just pull it in, they swap the bolt (literally all there is to the recall) and then I can be on my way. I have a bad feeling it won't quite go down that way.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sportsters are pretty cheap on CL and come in all styles. If you don't like it you can pretty much get what you paid for it later.
View Quote
With the internet...this is really a non-issue.

Parts can be had easily and cheaply online and a couple YouTube video's will give him everything he needs to know.  Bikes are super simple(the ones in his price range are anyway).  Basic hand tools can pretty much handle anything short of an engine rebuild.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/RIPTuqY.jpg
View Quote
I haven't been to a dealer in 25 years for anything. Amazon stocks more parts for my bike than the dealer does.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't forget the gear, quality gear,  wear all of it every time you ride.. everyone goes down, only a matter of time..
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#8]
That's about what I bought my Triumph Thruxton for. Its been a fantastic bike.

I'm also about 6'2" and 200 lbs, my bike came with a handlebar kit, so no clip ons. A Bonneville might be more your style.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
KLR650.  

Standard upright riding position, big enough frame you won't be cramped and huge aftermarket support.

I sold my Harley sportster last year to go to a dual sport Honda CRF250L. Better visibility around suvs and to suvs with enough suspension travel for a comfortable ride without the weight of a touring rig.
View Quote
A KLR is a one hour bike before you HAVE to get off for a while.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Supermoto, most fun you can have on two wheels on the street...
View Quote
....just not much fun on the freeway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't know how I missed this thread but...

Motorcycles can use HOV Lane in all states that accept federal dollars for roads.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
SV650/VStrom 650.

I bought an 06 SV650 about 4 years ago (previously rode dirt bikes as a kid like the OP).  Super reliable, low maintenance, plus enough power without being outrageous.

The only thing I'd suggest is stiffer fork springs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only thing I'd suggest is stiffer fork springs.
View Quote
http://sonicsprings.com

You're welcome.

I personally don't recommend the SV to total noobs, but it would be just fine for those with dirt experience.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 11:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
98 VFR
View Quote
I like your style  I lusted after one of these for a long time...never found one for sale that didn't have > +100k miles or in decent shape or it was outrageously expensive for a lower mileage one.

I bought a lightly used Suzuki GS500 from a Camp Pendleton Marine that was about to deploy.  It sat unused in his storage and it wouldn't start when I got there (I suspected the carb needed a rebuild - it did) so I got it for a song.  I rebuilt the carb, did a tune up and bought a new battery...fired right up!  That was a great bike with enough power to get in trouble, but I secretly wished I had bought a SV650 instead for when I was wanting more power.

I found some used GSXR 600 USD forks from a wrecked bike at a junk yard and swapped them onto my GS500, added a K&N filter, full exhaust, re-jetted the carb and added a wider rear tire to go along with the new front end and the bike was transformed.  I still wanted more power, but that bike was very fun in the mountains, reliable as hell and got ~50mpg...maintenance was ultra simple as well.

As others have said, take the MSF courses and buy some quality gear...because it's not a matter of "if" but "when"
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 11:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Might also look at Kawasaki versys, either 650 or 1000, but the 1000 probably out of your price range.   I have not ridden one,  but have been wanting to give one a try.  Good reviews from what i have seen.
View Quote
Had a 2014 650 Versys and put 5000 miles on it. Great bike. Test drove a 2016 and bought it...metric shit-ton of torque throughout the RPM's. I really like the ergonomics of the Versys,...Its been used as an "adventure bike" but not really made for off-roading...17" front tire. I've done gravel, works fine but better suited for pavement.

I also have a 2006 KLR650 and always will. Planning on a Gen II 2017 later this year.

The Versys 650 and KLR are both in your budget (used). Albeit, different bikes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top