Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/12/2017 2:54:25 PM EDT
Budgets > $4,000
Experience is nothing but 4 stroke dirt bikes when I was a kid.
I don't want a super heavy bike
I don't want a gutless bike (think kick start / 250cc)
I value agility but don't want an uncomfortable bike.
I'm 6'2" 200lb
I don't think I want to be laying on the fuel tank...see comfort
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
no suggestion, other than take the MSF course
no matter you skill level you will learn alot
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out an SV650/1100.....   they look good, but not a fully committed riding position, have enough guts to get a move on without being a rice rocket, and sell cheap if you can tolerate used....
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI. Take the MSF course and try a few different style bikes while you are there. In some states it allows you to bypass the practical test for your M endorsement.

if nothing else it will knock the rust off. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Been riding for a lot of years and ridden and owned bikes of many styles and makes. Highly recommend you just go test ride bikes you think you might like after you have your license. There are great bikes out there that I don't like to ride like the Suzuki DRZ400 (it just doesn't fit me) and little retro bikes that aren't that powerful, but are fun to ride, like the Ducati Scrambler.  The only way you'll know how they fit your body and your likes will be to ride them. Fortunately, the quality of bikes has gone up so much in the last 20 years that I wouldn't hesitate at buying and riding almost any brand's modern bikes.

You didn't mention what kind of riding you're going to be doing (mainly in town, day trips, on/off road) so if you provide that, we can give a little more direction. Here are some general thoughts

For cruisers, you might test out the STAR bikes and Kawasakis as they have a little more room than some. A good 750 or 900/1100 series bike would make a great starter bike for someone your size. Plenty are available used so you're not risking a lot of depreciation as soon as you buy it. Get a comfortable helmet.
For dual sport, KLR if you're riding short distances and bigger like BMW, Honda Africa, etc if you're really using it as a tourer substitute.
Tourer Goldwing and BMW 1200/1600
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Would be riding it in the summer daily to work and back and for pleasure until the temps get to cold or weather is expected to be more than a light rain.

My trip to work is about 30min, speed limit is 55mph the whole way due to driveways dumping into the road, but no one goes that slow, most traffic is 60-65mph lots of tuns and elevation changes, good scenery. Bad thing is there are plenty of deer around here so you got to keep your eyes peeled at at the once it starts to get dark out.

I'm doing some reading on Georgias motorcycle safety course right now to find locations and how everything works. There is a 90 day waiver for the practical tests upon completion so you only have to do the written and pay for the new license. ETA: Cool they also supply the helmet and motorcycle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would be riding it in the summer daily to work and back and for pleasure until the temps get to cold or weather is expected to be more than a light rain.

My trip to work is about 30min, speed limit is 55mph the whole way due to driveways dumping into the road, but no one goes that slow, most traffic is 60-65mph lots of tuns and elevation changes, good scenery. Bad thing is there are plenty of deer around here so you got to keep your eyes peeled at at the once it starts to get dark out.

I'm doing some reading on Georgias motorcycle safety course right now to find locations and how everything works. There is a 90 day waiver for the practical tests upon completion so you only have to do the written and pay for the new license. ETA: Cool they also supply the helmet and motorcycle.
View Quote
Does a motorcycle allow you access to carpool lanes or to share lanes (aka lane splitting) that will reduce your commmute time?  If not, I'd consider a sporty/fun to drive car. Yes, motorcycles get good mileage but when you factor in riding gear, wearable items like tires & chains and the additional registration & insurance (unless you sell your car) the financials may not be there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:22:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Does a motorcycle allow you access to carpool lanes or to share lanes (aka lane splitting) that will reduce your commmute time?
View Quote
Nope, and I already have a fun/sporty car.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 3:59:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Might also look at Kawasaki versys, either 650 or 1000, but the 1000 probably out of your price range.   I have not ridden one,  but have been wanting to give one a try.  Good reviews from what i have seen.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:40:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Busa busa busa.  The answer is always busa.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#10]
BMW rotax f650 or g650 single
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:15:42 AM EDT
[#11]
KLR650.  

Standard upright riding position, big enough frame you won't be cramped and huge aftermarket support.

I sold my Harley sportster last year to go to a dual sport Honda CRF250L. Better visibility around suvs and to suvs with enough suspension travel for a comfortable ride without the weight of a touring rig.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Check out an SV650/1100.....   they look good, but not a fully committed riding position, have enough guts to get a move on without being a rice rocket, and sell cheap if you can tolerate used....
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:19:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Supermoto, most fun you can have on two wheels on the street...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does a motorcycle allow you access to carpool lanes?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does a motorcycle allow you access to carpool lanes?
Here in MA motorcycles are permitted in car pool lanes. Helps heading into Boston.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]
If youre OK buying used I would look at a Honda Interceptor. Butter smooth motor, comfortable seat and bars position and sporty enough to keep a smile on your face. If buying new only that will severely limit your options.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If youre OK buying used I would look at a Honda Interceptor. Butter smooth motor, comfortable seat and bars position and sporty enough to keep a smile on your face. If buying new only that will severely limit your options.
View Quote
If the man's budget is >$4000 then the options are wide open.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ewwww....   If you are sure you are going to buy a motorcycle, just go ahead and find the right helmet now. MSF courses are a hot, sweaty affair and I sure as hell wouldn't want to put on a "common" helmet others have been leaking in.

Also, figure on taking both of them. The advanced course (once you have a season of riding in under your belt) is a really good one, and if you take it every 5 years, you're insurance will likely be significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:57:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If the man's budget is >$4000 then the options are wide open.
View Quote
Whoops, let me correct myself meant to post <  (less than) sorry just caught that. I'm fine with used.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I've ridden a lot in the past and wouldn't even consider commuting on a 55 mph, non access-limited road where everyone zips along at ten over and there are lots of deer.  Know what those blind driveway owners are looking for when they back out?  Cars, and just barely that...

Weekend rides in good weather?  Still dangerous as hell but you'd have a chance...
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ewwww....   If you are sure you are going to buy a motorcycle, just go ahead and find the right helmet now. MSF courses are a hot, sweaty affair and I sure as hell wouldn't want to put on a "common" helmet others have been leaking in.

Also, figure on taking both of them. The advanced course (once you have a season of riding in under your belt) is a really good one, and if you take it every 5 years, you're insurance will likely be significantly cheaper.
View Quote
I have done worse. I'll buy a helmet after the course.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've ridden a lot in the past and wouldn't even consider commuting on a 55 mph, non access-limited road where everyone zips along at ten over and there are lots of deer.  Know what those blind driveway owners are looking for when they back out?  Cars, and just barely that...

Weekend rides in good weather?  Still dangerous as hell but you'd have a chance...
View Quote
I understand what you're saying, and you're not wrong. But I have always heard "ride like your invisible and they're all trying to kill you" So long as that's kept in mind and I don't get complacent (that's the big issue in my mind) Seems pretty true regardless of where you're riding and it just something I want to do. A guy at work that used to work on bike swears by BMW's... but I just... I hate them for some reason that I can't quantify.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#22]
MSF BRC, then decide if you really want to ride on the street, then decide what direction you want to go (sport/dual/cruiser), then figure out what bike. All in that order. Anything else is foolish.

Quoted:
A guy at work that used to work on bike swears by BMW's... but I just... I hate them for some reason that I can't quantify.
View Quote
The only thing I hate in the least about BMWs is the price.

I would love to test ride a R1200RS, but nobody ever seems to have that model available for demo. It very well could get me to sell the Ducs, but without riding one, I won't know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#23]
My first (street) bike was a Suzuki S50/VS800. You can probably find a few in great condition for your price range, or similar bikes. They look like cruisers but ride more like a standard bike. Very comfortable upright position, not too heavy, and easy to throw around on the road like a dirtbike.

S50:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#24]
After the MSF course, I would look at something like the naked bikes that have come out in the last few years. A slightly used Yamaha FX07 or similar from other metric mfg should be within your price range.  Another suggestion would be a Yamaha FZ6R (again or something similar from other metric mfg). These bikes have more than enough power for beginner bikes, have comfortable upright riding positions, but are sporty enough to have some fun in the twisties. Go sit on them at a dealer and figure out which ones fit you and watch for demo days.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#25]
98 VFR
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 11:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]
SV650 is a fantastic starter bike. 
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Ride what you want, the bike is for you.  There are not too many bad bikes.  The more exotic, one could say a bit less robust, but other than that, get what makes your heart pitter patter.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:25:08 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want a comfortable bike, check out a 2012+ Suzuki DL650.  They have plenty of power and they are pretty nimble.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:05:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:24:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Agreed
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed
I prefer a reasonable amount of wind protection for the type of commute the OP has described.

I've ridden plated dirt bikes on highways at those speeds for that amount of time and frankly it sucked.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Kawi KLR650 or BMW G650GS for first bike.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Might also look at Kawasaki versys, either 650 or 1000, but the 1000 probably out of your price range.   I have not ridden one,  but have been wanting to give one a try.  Good reviews from what i have seen.
View Quote
Versys are great bikes. I prefer the liter version. For the OP a used FJR/Concourse or sport touring bike will be comfortable and able to play if you want. Or find a Blackbird if that is more your style.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Im now confused - is your budget $4000 max? or over $4000?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Im now confused - is your budget $4000 max? or over $4000?
View Quote
4k max
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I had a 2005 FZ6 as my first bike, it has an (almost) R6 engine so it sounds and runs great, but the seating position is more upright and comfortable.  It's kinda like an SV650 but without the dumb 4 wheeler sound and faster.

I always tell people to buy a good "first bike" not a "beginner bike".  Buy something you are afraid to drop, and that will last you a few years at least.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

4k max
View Quote
Used Suzuki sv650s The fairings will make it much more enjoyable on the highway. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:31:29 PM EDT
[#37]
SV650 seems to be what I'm hearing the most. I'll go check one out and see how it suits me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
SV650 seems to be what I'm hearing the most. I'll go check one out and see how it suits me.
View Quote
Bring cash   You'll want to ride it home. Remember the S model has some fairings for wind protection. That little bit of fairing and windscreen is a god send on the highway. 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#39]
After you take the Rider Class.....

Commuting you want something comfortable with wind protection.

Look at Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom, Honda NC700, Versys 650.

Example:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/mcy/6129069131.html

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/mcy/6133474075.html

and I recommend ABS for your bike.

TYCOM
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Example:

TYCOM
View Quote
But...I hate ABS, on my cars.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Busa busa busa.  The answer is always busa.
View Quote
I no shit bought a Busa as a first bike because the insurance was cheap!
It was considered a sport tourer.
Had the bike for 7years then sold it and went to harleys.]
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example:

TYCOM
Explain logically why you hate ABS...
With data to back your claims.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Takes up room under the hood (looks ugly as hell too), adds weight, and on dry clean pavement I can outperform it...most of the time. And by not having it I don't have to worry about it breaking and having an annoying dash light on.

Now in my daily it's fine and I'm not against it. But on my project car / toy...no. And the motorcycle while I'll daily it in the summer I'm betting, it's kinda a toy. Since I have a sedan for daily and my wife a fairly new suv for her and the kids.

Which wheels get the ABS break? Rear? Front? Both?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Takes up room under the hood (looks ugly as hell too), adds weight, and on dry clean pavement I can outperform it...most of the time. And by not having it I don't have to worry about it breaking and having an annoying dash light on.

Now in my daily it's fine and I'm not against it. But on my project car / toy...no. And the motorcycle while I'll daily it in the summer I'm betting, it's kinda a toy. Since I have a sedan for daily and my wife a fairly new suv for her and the kids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIRC, CHP requires ABS on their motorcycles. They might actually have a pretty good idea of what works on the street.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:52:22 PM EDT
[#45]
We are defending CA's intelligence in this thread.  Dear lord.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 2:52:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We are defending CA's intelligence in this thread.  Dear lord.
View Quote
Says the guy from NM?

Even blind squirrel finds a nut
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea, on dry clean pavement in perfect conditions an expert rider can beat it when he knows he is about to brake. So basically not at all what riding on the street is like. Riding a bike with ABS is no different than one without. You wont even know you have it unless you actually need it. As in that car that wasn't on the test track where people beat the ABS, pulls out from a blind corner that also want on the test track.

However, you will find a raging debate on this everywhere you look and it will come down to two sides those who have facts and logic and those who like to swing their dicks. As you peruse this topic on the various forums you will notice the majority of high mileage daily riders like ABS because again, you wont even know you have it. For the record we have 4 bikes without it and one with it. If it is an option I get it.

Also ABS is on both wheels.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Well, it was said sort of tongue in cheek....  my reasons for disliking it have minimal impact on performance, beyond that it's only potentially a aesthetic issue. And yeah the real world obviously isn't a well maintained track.

I was going to WOW motorcycles but won't have time before vacation so I'll have something to do when I get back I suppose. They have a huge assortment of bikes to try and find out if the SV650 or something else feels best. Most likely from my research will be a "standard" style bike though. I can't see myself on a sports bike,  especially with my damaged right wrist and lower back issues.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Sorry my meter is off today.

Do give the Versys a look as well. It is an excellent bike that can do a whole lot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#50]
SV650S 2003+ are my preferred models...

I put 40k miles on one and really wish I still had it.  They're cheap...engines are bullet proof, tires are cheaper than super sports, have plenty of torque at normal operating RPM's to get going...brakes are solid...although some line and a new master are a welcome addition.

Definitely take the MSF course...it's well worth the time/energy.

IMO, skip the cruisers all together...I've ridden quite a few of them and they're not fun at all.  They're extremely heavy....the vast majority are woefully under powered for their weight and they turn like a dump truck.  I'm not sure there is a less fun vehicle on the market right now.  I've been in Mini-van's that are faster than most of the cruisers I rode...lol

BMW K-1200's are a ton of fun too and a more upright riding position with lots of rider comforts.  I still think the SV is a better beginner bike though...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top