Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2017 8:43:37 AM EDT
My son bought a very clean FL 2004 think it was a Snowbird car

Question any Cons switching to synthetic?
No leaks or usage at this time
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#1]
None that I can think of other than cost but why mess with success?  Is he wanting to do longer oil change intervals?  If not then I'd say just stick with a quality dino oil and simply keep up with regular oil & filter changes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:08:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None that I can think of other than cost but why mess with success?  Is he wanting to do longer oil change intervals?  If not then I'd say just stick with a quality dino oil and simply keep up with regular oil & filter changes.
View Quote
My Taco has 216K with no issues
Seen noting but Mobil 1
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
mileage wise it will be fine to switch over.  The only issue is time / age.  sometimes synthetics can find weak seals / gaskets on older cars but honestly if that happens you should be changing that seal anyways.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
mileage wise it will be fine to switch over.  The only issue is time / age.  sometimes synthetics can find weak seals / gaskets on older cars but honestly if that happens you should be changing that seal anyways.
View Quote
That happened on the '02 Pathfinder with 190k miles that I bought my daughter.  It had a couple of minor oil leaks when I bought it which became pretty big leaks after I changed the oil and used synthetic high mileage stuff.  I fixed all the leaks and would have eventually anyway but I think I could've waited longer if I had not switched to synthetic.  Oh well, it's nice and leak free now.

OP - this is the issue I was thinking of with my reply.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
OK
In my mind also

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

My Taco has 216K with no issues
Seen noting but Mobil 1
View Quote
My dad has a taco with 265k on nothing but Dino...no issues.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#7]
From my reading at 40k your fine.

BTW, does that model year Rav4 have the canister filter? I'd like to kick that engineer in the balls for that design. We have a 2012 and it requires you to undo a cap, insert a plastic plug to drain the canister, then remove the canister, replace two O-rings, install filter, replace cap, replace canister.

Fuck you Toyota.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From my reading at 40k your fine.

BTW, does that model year Rav4 have the canister filter? I'd like to kick that engineer in the balls for that design. We have a 2012 and it requires you to undo a cap, insert a plastic plug to drain the canister, then remove the canister, replace two O-rings, install filter, replace cap, replace canister.

Fuck you Toyota.
View Quote
No it does not
Nor does my truck
But wifes 2014 does

I feel the same and will not dick with it
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
What did he pay if you dont mind me asking?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top