Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 11:40:11 PM EDT
Late edition.

When a person thinks of the term muscle car they usually think of brands like Ford, GM, or Mopar. Where does Studebaker's piece fall into the muscle car puzzle? Up until the late 50s Studebaker was just another pedestrian car company. Making cars for the masses. In 1962 all that changed.

In 1962 Studebaker bought out McCulloch. McCulloch was know for superchargers. Superchargers wearing the name Paxton. When Studebaker bought McCulloch they got Andy Granatelli and Sherwood Egbert. Studebaker immediately made use of Andy's talents and made him Vice President of Studebaker as well as Chief Engineer. Sherwood Egbert was plucked from McCulloch Executive  to become Studes President.  If you don't know who the Granatelli's are and you think you're a car guy you have some research to do. Andy Granatelli was a racer. He knew how to make horsepower and market it as well. Sherwood Egbert was all about the muscle as well. If it weren't for these two we wouldn't have the featured car as well as two other performance models.

Attachment Attached File

(1963 Lark R2)

Studebaker was only 3 years from dying. This was essentially a swan song for the ailing manufacturer. The biggest V8 Studebaker had was a 232 cubic incher. It had be developed with abnormally thick castings in hopes of eventually making larger bores and bigger power. In 1957 engineers took advantage of the castings and bored the 232 to 289 cubic inches. The 289 was introduced in the Golden Hawk. In 1958 it gained a McCulloch supercharger making 5-7 psi and 275 horsepower. Not bad considering the same year Corvette made 270 horses.

By 1963 Sherwood Egbert and Andy Granatelli decided that the failing Lark needed some pep. The naturally aspirated 289 was named the R1. The R2 received the Paxton SN-60 centrifugal supercharger. With its 3.5625" bore and 3.625" stroke the once 232 become a wild 289. Throw in 9.1:1 compression and a .425" 260° solid lifter cam, as well as a forged crank and rods. You knew that Studebaker meant business. Breathing was helped with a Carter 600 cfm carb and large chamber truck cylinder heads hiding 1.65" intake and 1.53" exhaust valves. Ordering the R2 also gain an aluminum timing set, larger harmonic balancer, and an extended snout on the crankshaft to drive the Paxton supercharger to between 6 and 8 psi. This combination helped make 300 horsepower at 4800 rpm and 303 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm.

Attachment Attached File

(Paxton supercharger adding atmosphere to the 289)

Andy immediately rook the Lark to the Bonneville Salt Flats and ran a 132 mph in the standing mile. That was good enough to advertise the car. It wasn't good enough for stock class drag racing though. Studebaker refused to publish horsepower numbers until late in the year which kept them out of stock classes. Studebaker claimed 13 flat E.T.s. magazine test for the time got 13.90s @ 99.98 mph and 0-60 times at 7.8 seconds. Not bad for 3,350 pounds.

The power was sent to a T-10 4 speed stirred by a Hurst shifter or an automatic. From there it turned a Dana 44 with "Twin Traction" limited slip. 15x4.5" wheels were standard fare. As well as Firestone 500 tires.

The chassis was a rigid ladder frame sporting 109 inches in wheel base. Stopping power came from 11.2 bendix disc brakes up front and 11x2" finned drums out back. Heavy duty coil springs fought back up front and leaf springs handled the rear. Gabriel shocks were mounted at all four corners. A 7/8" anti roll bar took care of lean in the front and a 5/8" bar handled the rear.

One could get the Lark without all of the disc brakes, anti roll bar and various other options. People who wanted the total package checked "88A". This got you everything. Discs, anti roll bars, H.D. suspension, adjustable shocks, H.D. cooling, 160 mph speedometer and a round badge on the grille expressing the cars performance origins. Only 53 people opted for the "Super Lark" as it would be advertised. 272 buyers got just the R2 supercharged 289. The only outside clue to the power under the hood was a small emblem stating "Avanti Supercharged".

Attachment Attached File

The R2 found its way into the Lark 2 door coupe. With its pedestrian styling and commuter styled interior, it left a lot to be desired.

Attachment Attached File

Studebaker would only last 3 more years after the 1963 performance efforts. The Granatelli Bros would go on to develop a 304.5 cubic version of the 289 named the R3 and R4. Andy went on to head STP and produce Indy cars. A car he designed took first in the 1969 Indy 500. Studebaker went from building horse carriages to performance cars to completely dying off.

2157 Supercharged R2 engines found their way into Larks, Avantis, and Hawks in 1963. Lark R2s are a rare sight to see but it gives a glimpse of a ailing car companies last breath.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks again. Great post and story.

By the way, my Granddad had a Studebaker pickup back in the early 60's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:15:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Cool thread, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Good stuff!

I remember my Dad talking about the Studebaker in the early 80s, and saw a supercharged Golden Hawk at a car show around that time.

My great uncle had a Studebaker but it was a plain model and an ugly brown color.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
As always good work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:54:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Good writing.  To be honest, it looks like styling, not performance killed them.  What a face only a mother could love!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:10:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Many years ago I VERY nearly bought an R1 Avanti......ended up with a '68 Firebird 400 instead.
I always liked the looks of the Golden Hawk too.,.......come to think of it,i know where there's a Hawk sitting in a grove of trees and most likely rusted all to hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Great write up! I remember being a senior in high school in 1981 and someone drove a beautifully restored Studebaker Lark every day.  I was like WTF is that thing??
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would you consider posting links to the previous week in the op?
View Quote
I can do that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Excellent choice!
Rare Yenko Nova vs Supercharged Studebaker Challenger R3 - 1/4 mile Drag Race Video - Road Test TV ®

Ted Harbit's 1963 R3 at the 2010 PSMCDR

My first car was a '59 Silver Hawk.....289 4V  and 3 on the tree with OD......
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent choice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WmF-w6-EkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAGqt2GQBvA

My first car was a '59 Silver Hawk.....289 4V  and 3 on the tree with OD......
View Quote
The Yenko Deuce is one of my favorite muscle cars. The Stude shut him down though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Once again, thanks OP for doing these

I thought I had a better-than-average knowledge of American muscle cars, but I had no idea about these Studes.
Good stuff
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for doing these
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Number 9 is out now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top