Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2017 8:07:15 PM EDT
I picked up a 2008 AWD chevy express a few weeks ago for $8000. I plan on using it for dirtbike trips as well as camping, fishing, hunting and all around god fearing, meat eating, gun loving red blooded American fun.
Day i picked it up.

the passenger side quarter panel was blown up, so i replaced that. here's a pic of what i have to start with and the original quarter panels.

used reflectix to insulate the interior.

and some mastic seal on the floor to cover all the screw holes from the diamond plate floor cover.

I installed some shelving i picked up on craigslist (for $75) and the bed rug i got from JEGS ($165 i believe)

Ill continue to post progress pics as i go. I'm planning on putting a 2" lift in and some Good year duratracks on the rims soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
reserved for future.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
@ludder093
Clued me into a build your own solar setup.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/144067-Solar-Generator-(DIY-Goal-Zero-Yeti)

I'll be looking into that for sure! Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Spray "Free Candy" on the side
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Uhm..  the wife says no way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Uhm..  the wife says no way.
View Quote
Cost of the candy play a factor?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cost of the candy play a factor?
View Quote
Yeah, 10-15yrs is pretty steep.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good man. Looking forward to this thread and your solar build as well. 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Tagging for more updates...
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I am looking forward to updates on this one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been thinking of replacing my excursion with a truck or van. If I go van it would be a similar direction. I would love a Sprinter with a tall roof but they get spendy. I am wondering if any of these newer small vans like a transit connect or chevy express would fit a bike. It would be tight but make for a cool little package.

Interested to see what you end up with
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:00:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool project OP. There's a member from here in Arizona who has a lifted full size van and it's pretty cool. I think he puts his motorcycles in the back. Don't let the bastards get you down with their stale chomo-van jokes, just do your thing and dont forget the space viking mural.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a check in. Works been crazy so I haven't gotten a lot done the last 2 weekends. (On call)
I did order the lift kit today, should arrive next week. I think I'm gonna hit the rocker panels and front of the hood with bed-liner this weekend (to prevent the token chevy express paint peel.) I'll post pics of what I get done.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool project.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:29:41 PM EDT
[#14]
1st coat of Bedliner on now. Waiting for it to dry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1st coat of Bedliner on now. Waiting for it to dry.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361774/IMG-0850-203571.jpg
View Quote
Just go ahead and line the whole thing 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just go ahead and line the whole thing 
View Quote
That'd make camping in the sun pretty damn hot!
I would like to do the roof too, but it'd probably make it hot as hell.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That'd make camping in the sun pretty damn hot!
I would like to do the roof too, but it'd probably make it hot as hell.
View Quote
They make any color you want. 

http://www.durabakcompany.com/colorchart.htm
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#18]
hopefully the lift kit shows up this week so I can get that installed.
Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
How well does the Reflectix work?  all the reading I've done seemed to indicate it'll reflect the heat/cold in the vehicle so long as it's not directly on the metal.  I know in HVAC it needs to be 1" off the duct to work as advertised.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
How well does the Reflectix work?  all the reading I've done seemed to indicate it'll reflect the heat/cold in the vehicle so long as it's not directly on the metal.  I know in HVAC it needs to be 1" off the duct to work as advertised.  
View Quote
Not great to be honest. It allows for a good amount of heat transfer. I (obviously) haven't tried it in the cold, but I am guessing it will not be sufficient. I'll probably switch it out for pink foam when I get around to finishing the inside. I can see it being very good for covering windows though. It only has an R-Value of 1.5, so it would be good as the last layer of insulation, but not right up against the sheet metal. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Not great to be honest. It allows for a good amount of heat transfer. I (obviously) haven't tried it in the cold, but I am guessing it will not be sufficient. I'll probably switch it out for pink foam when I get around to finishing the inside. I can see it being very good for covering windows though. It only has an R-Value of 1.5, so it would be good as the last layer of insulation, but not right up against the sheet metal. YMMV.
View Quote
Thanks for the input.  I've been looking into sound deadening for my car and that stuff came up as an option.  Apparently it does alright cutting down on some noise though.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a project where I am considering this for insulation and sound deadening.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Touch-n-Foam-200-Board-Foot-Polyurethane-2-Component-Spray-Foam-Kit-4006022200/204962748
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a project where I am considering this for insulation and sound deadening.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Touch-n-Foam-200-Board-Foot-Polyurethane-2-Component-Spray-Foam-Kit-4006022200/204962748
View Quote

Is it an automotive project?

You may want to look closely at the properties of that foam.  Will it hold moisture?  If yes, it could turn into body rot real fast.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.  I've been looking into sound deadening for my car and that stuff came up as an option.  Apparently it does alright cutting down on some noise though.  
View Quote
It does ok on sound deadening. When I first put it up I noticed the ride noise go down a little. When I put in the bed rug it dramatically lowered.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Doing some tinkering tonight, and found 2 manifold bolts sheared off at the head on the drivers side.

All systems stop on this project. FUUUUCK!?

I'll be kicking it down the road.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Doing some tinkering tonight, and found 2 manifold bolts sheared off at the head on the drivers side.

All systems stop on this project. FUUUUCK!?

I'll be kicking it down the road.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:50:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much how I felt. I knew I had an exhaust leak somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it... I know a lot of guys would just let it go, but I probably wouldn't pass emissions in CO. Ugh. I don't have the time or desire to pull the heads and drill them out. It's not an easy task in a van. Luckily I'm not to deep into it.

Good grief. Not what I needed today.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pretty much how I felt. I knew I had an exhaust leak somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it... I know a lot of guys would just let it go, but I probably wouldn't pass emissions in CO. Ugh. I don't have the time or desire to pull the heads and drill them out. It's not an easy task in a van. Luckily I'm not to deep into it.

Good grief. Not what I needed today.
View Quote
If they broke off flush do you Know anyone with a welder?  Weld a nut to the end and turn em off just like a normal bolt. The heat will help loosen them from the metal. 
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:22:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If they broke off flush do you Know anyone with a welder?  Weld a nut to the end and turn em off just like a normal bolt. The heat will help loosen them from the metal. 
View Quote
He still needs to get at them. How hard is it to get the dog house off that van?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was going to say this! Had a friend in high school with a '79 Chevy short panel van, it had a "Have you hugged your kid today?" plate on the front when he bought it! 

Interested to see what you end up with OP!

ETA, bummer about the exhaust manifold bolts, you might price having it done. I had a friend recently get both manifolds replaced and most (if not all) of the bolts broke off and had to drilled out on his 09 dodge pickup and it was a little over $1000. Didn't think that was too bad for all that work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Is it an automotive project?

You may want to look closely at the properties of that foam.  Will it hold moisture?  If yes, it could turn into body rot real fast.
View Quote
Yes, for an RV.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I had not considered moisture.  

In my application the walls are stainless steel but I am planning on building a form fit, insulated, removable panel.   The side facing the body will have some type of poly film.  

I want to be able to add or subtract panels depending on seasonal heating and cooling needs.  I'll velcro or use some type of aviation quick release trim panel fastener.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#32]
its a pain in the ass to repair. gonna have to put it on hold for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what we did. A friend of mine with a welder had them out in about 40 minutes. Saved me a TON of money.

Camper van back on!
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This is what we did. A friend of mine with a welder had them out in about 40 minutes. Saved me a TON of money.

Camper van back on!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 1:12:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Camper van back on!
View Quote
Is his name Geico?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top