Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 12:02:04 PM EDT
Does anyone have one?  I was originally thinking about picking up a used Buell 1125r, but the potential for lack of parts in the aftermarket as a result of their backrutpcy is giving me pause. I've started looking at Triumph Daytona 675s, which I think is the sexiest ~600cc on the road.

Any reliability issues? As much as I love the Brits, they aren't known for their reliability in the car/bike world. Parts availability? Dealer network?

I'd like to get something different from the dime a dozen GXR/Ninja/YZFs that I see on the road, but I also don't want a money pit.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Reliability will be more or less like any other sportbike out there.  That is, it's likely to be pretty good.  It's a "mature" design - it just hasn't changed a whole lot since, what, 2013?  It will be far from a money pit.  The 2-year warranty is nice on a brand new one, too.  

Up-side is great mid-range power relative to the 600 fours.  It's a smooth-running engine, too, not really vibey.  

Down-side is, as a street bike, the ergonomics are fairly uncompromising.  I think only the MV F3 and Yamaha R6 stand to be more "ass-up, hands down" than the Daytona.  The CBR, GSX-R, and ZX-6R are ever-so-slightly less aggressive.  

Deals on 2015 and 2016 models can still be had - $9000 to $9500 for the non-R model is what I'm seeing, so there's no really good reason to spend full-price on a brand new one.  The 2017 model year version only comes in Ohlins/Brembo-equipped R trim... that's $14,000.  Awesome bike and all, but yikes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a Daytona, but do have 2 other Triumphs. Dealers are out there, but scarce, I order all of my parts online. I have a 955i Sprint and a Thruxton, no major issues with either and both are easy to work on. Parts prices aren't to bad, but sometimes you have to wait a while to get them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reliability will be more or less like any other sportbike out there.  That is, it's likely to be pretty good.  It's a "mature" design - it just hasn't changed a whole lot since, what, 2013?  It will be far from a money pit.  The 2-year warranty is nice on a brand new one, too.  

Up-side is great mid-range power relative to the 600 fours.  It's a smooth-running engine, too, not really vibey.  

Down-side is, as a street bike, the ergonomics are fairly uncompromising.  I think only the MV F3 and Yamaha R6 stand to be more "ass-up, hands down" than the Daytona.  The CBR, GSX-R, and ZX-6R are ever-so-slightly less aggressive.  

Deals on 2015 and 2016 models can still be had - $9000 to $9500 for the non-R model is what I'm seeing, so there's no really good reason to spend full-price on a brand new one.  The 2017 model year version only comes in Ohlins/Brembo-equipped R trim... that's $14,000.  Awesome bike and all, but yikes.
View Quote
Thanks for the insights!

I'm actually looking at 2011/2012's which I'm seeing for $6k with <5000 miles. Even when I had a 636 Ninja, I alway lusted over the Daytona. It just always seemed like the Japanese bikes were a safer choice.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks for the insights!

I'm actually looking at 2011/2012's which I'm seeing for $6k with <5000 miles. Even when I had a 636 Ninja, I alway lusted over the Daytona. It just always seemed like the Japanese bikes were a safer choice.
View Quote
Yeah, for the 675, I think you only really need to do some preventative work if you're going to race - a buddy of mine that races has just gotten a 675, and he's done a lot of communicating with other folks that do, as well.  The early models are known for having an oil cooler (built into the radiator, IIRC) that's prone to failure while racing,... that is, sustained very high-rpm operation.  This can cause catastrophic engine failure.  I'm not aware of anyone having real issues with them as street bikes.  And I'm not sure if/when this issue was corrected by the factory, so it's worth checking TriumphRAT.net and Daytona675.net.  Both had pretty colossal threads regarding oil coolers, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has a 2006 graphite grey 675 and loves it. We bought it lightly used almost 10 years ago and have no plans to part with it. The longest ride on it was several days from Seattle to Redding, CA and back. It is also one hell of a fast bike.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I loved the 2 I had. Zero issues with either of them. They do put a lot of weight on the wrist, but that just puts you closer to the sweet sound of that triple cylinder engine. First one, a 2006 that I preordered, had 15,000 miles on it in 6 months before I totaled it lol  
Second one, an 07 had like 24,000 miles on it when I sold it in 2012 or 13.
I rode every 600 from those years and a few 1000cc. That just made me love my 675 even more, the only thing that slowed my riding of it down was when I got a supermoto.  
Did I mention the sound of that triple, pure sex.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Had a 2008 Street Triple, which is basically just a Daytona minus the fairings. Buy it...you will not regret it. Broke my heart to sell it, but it was just sitting since I had a few other toys st the time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Fantastic bike, I've ridden many and I would certainly buy one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have one but if I wanted to buy a sport bike that would be my choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I had an 07 for a little over a year and a half, put 17k miles on it in that time, even tossed it around a few tracks.  fantastic bike as long as you don't plan on riding 2up.  Kind of wish I had held on to that one
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
That R model though. 

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That R model though. 

https://s13.postimg.org/95pzwyq7r/IMG_3371.jpg
View Quote
Next to the EBR1190RS, the 675R is the closest thing I have ever sat on that reminded me of a TZ-250....

I demo'd a 675 Daytona when they came out, was mightily impressed-I was riding a year old GSXR1000 at the time and if I could have found a way to make a trade and give some cash I'd have done it but the dealer didn't take Japanese trades.

I'm still riding that GSXR1000 and an R1M, but the bike I'm lusting after right now is the 765 Street Triple that just came out.... speaking of which, Triumph is hinting at a new Daytona using this new motor, possibly as an 800.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top