Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 1:30:20 PM EDT
I'm looking to upgrade my in dash nav unit with something a little more current.

Right now I have an Eclipse ANV6620

It's not a bad little unit but it's getting to be quite outdated with the maps and it's not really dimmable at night so it's like driving with someone holding a flashlight in your face.

I've been looking at the Pioneer AVIC line, specifically the AVIC8200NEX.  I do not need any of the fancy phone connection stuff as my phone does not do any of that anyhow.  Steering wheel controls are also not an issue.  Want something does work with MP3 as well.

Just looking for some input from folks who may have these head units and how they like them?  Also is the display actually dimmable other than just a preset when you turn your lights on?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer my Garmin windshield mounted GPS/NAV.

I don't have to look down to see it and updates are easy.

My Cayenne has the factory NAV unit, but I like the Garmin better.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My Cayenne as the factory NAV unit, but I like the Garmin better.
View Quote
Agreed whole heartedly. A window mount GPS blows any in dash solution away. 

If you have a smart phone then skip the window mount GPS out the water. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One thing about the smart phones is that you have to have a cell signal for them to work.

My son-in-law has some family property out in the middle of nowhere and that directions didn't work without a signal.

My Garmin did.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My buddy bought a Joying 8.1" android head unit. I laughed.

Then I saw it, he runs Waze and Google maps. Nice unit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought the wife a Garmin Drive Smart 50, a relatively newer model on the market. Works great. To add the navigation to my present screen would be very expensive compared to what the Garmin cost. Happy wife....happy life!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
This! My truck has nav, but the Garmin unit is so much better and you keep your eyes on the road when looking at it.

I paid about $90 for my nuvi 55lm 2 years ago. Free lifetime map updates. Chevy wants $140- $160 per map update.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:19:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

One thing about the smart phones is that you have to have a cell signal for them to work.

My son-in-law has some family property out in the middle of nowhere and that directions didn't work without a signal.

My Garmin did.  
View Quote
If you have the route set before you lose service it'll be fine.  You're screwed if you go off route or try to route to a new location and you're w/o service though 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
For me anything phone based is not an option as I am still rocking a 13 year old flip phone.

A Garmin is nice but sticking anything else to my windshield is also not anything I want to do.

So that brings me back to updating my head unit with something a little more modern.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#9]
You can buy a good Garvin for $200. or less and an air vent mount for about ten bucks. Window mounts don't work for us either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top