Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2017 12:04:26 AM EDT
Gonna start looking at parts and specifics for a car I've got. It's a 1966 dynamic 88 olds with a 425 super rocket and th350. Bought by my great grandpa new in 66. My first car technically, the motor was already out of it so I bought a truck to make money for the car 

I don't really know why the motor was pulled, was told it burned or leaked oil real bad or something. Supposed to a good engine other than that. Completely needs rebuilt been on a stand for some years. Seems like it's kinda rare and parts for it are a little expensive. I know a lot of guys into ls swaps so the cars getting a carbed 5.3 with t56. Shouldn't be to hard, there's shit tons of room for everything and I can get parts cheap and easy. Probably going to put a used motor and trans in it, then rebuild that motor, then swap the trans. So it may take awhile but for right now it's gonna be a 5.3 with a manually shifted 4l80. I'm a stick guy to the core and really enjoy doing my own shifting. As much as I'd like 600 or so hp (and it's not that hard with some of this ls stuff) there's no point. Cars big, heavy, wide, and I don't want to put drag slicks on it just to hook up. Gonna build for 450 or so hp while making a lot of power low, and over a very large torque curve. While idling like glass and getting good mileage on cheap fuel. I want it all but I've been in some of these builds and seen the dyno sheets and they don't lie. 

Probably going pretty stock interior other than tint and a good sound system. It's interior is stripped now but I have all the pieces. Car has dealer installed ac, may or may not work. My truck doesn't have it either so no big deal. Good thing is it can be removed with out anything being out of place on the dash. Probably going to go manual steering during the swap. Already looked into setting up a manual mustang box so I can get a "sporty" ratio. Cars body is in great condition. Only bump is on the back bumper in the chrome but you can only see it real low in the perfect light. Needs a back window, grandpas 2nd wife parked it in the ghetto. 

Gonna run stock height tires. Gonna go a little wider than stock up front, and probably 8-9 in inches on the back. Not looking for a drag queen, gonna be daily driven. I also really get a kick out of smoky burn outs so cheaper tires works for me . Probably gonna weld up a 4 link or some way to stabilize the rear axle.

My question is, how's it going to handle? I've never heard this car run much less driven it. I imagine it won't be anything good, so what do I need to do to fix it. I said no drag queen, well I don't want a Porsche fighter either. Safety, good ride quality, and able to handle the power I want predictably and reliably.

Before anybody askes Im a semi skilled fabricator with a lot of toys and I'm pretty good with cars. Good friends with some techs with crazy ls addictions and some really cool builds. I'll be doing the work myself in a garage with their knowledge and ideas. Don't know really anything  about suspension unless it has to with pickups. All my friends cars are either modern, or  drag cars with roll cages and fabbed everything. 

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking find a 455 Olds....
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm thinking find a 455 Olds....
View Quote
You're thinking wrong, the 425 has a steel crank and is a big block also.  I love me some ls goodness, but I would build the 425 in this case.  What heads are on the motor?  Anything but J heads are fine really.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#3]
That car would be the coolest if you took it back to 100% stock with some minor mods to the motor.  It has sentimental value to you but to everyone else it has too many doors and any money trying to make it into a hotrod is money pissed away.  

Go back 100% stock and it will be a very nice show car.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Why in God's name would you go to the trouble of a LSx swap and then replace the EFI with a carb????????? It negates much of the reason the LSx engine is so efficient and powerful in the first place.

The older the host car, the EASIER the wiring is to do.

If you want fun and fairly cheap, hunt down a 6.0 LSx...you can find them all day in GM 2500 / work trucks.  They respond VERY well to common sense mods, they are iron blocks and can be bored without any drama, you can upgrade the heads if you want with several different choices from the LSx engine family.  More cubes = more grunt down low which is what you need / want with a big car like your Olds.  

I'm starting my '65 C10 "resto" early, because I need a truck.  I'm just going to dump in a decent running 6.0 / Auto combo, wire it up and drive it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:46:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Well it's gonna float and lean like crazy between being 50 years old and being a soft B body. Time for a call to the guys at Hotchkis.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
425 is a big block and it does have a steel crank. My truck gets 7 mpg and has all the cool original motor goodness everybody talks so highly of. This isn't a show car. Originality went out the window when the brick went through it. Carpet, seat covers, and headliner need replaced due to water damage. Also won't have original paint, after I get done painting it. I can get a 5.3 and rebuild it for cheaper than rebuilding the 425. 5.3 will be lighter, more efficient, and I already know my way around it. 

Carb vs standalone efi unit. I've seen guys make way more power than I want with pretty good effeciency with a carb. Maybe efi is better? I don't know, I can get what I want done with a carb. Combat accuracy. 

I I thought there would be a lot of body roll. How should I fix that? Sway bars and shocks? Remember, I don't need a nascar rated suspension. I just don't want it rolling and bouncing all over the place like well... a boat from the 60's. Think just some good shocks and a strong sway bar will fix this?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
The 5.3 is a great engine.  I would keep the factory fuel injection, it's way easier than you think to fit it.  A 255 pump and a Corvette fuel filter takes care of the fuel side and a reworked truck harness and a ECM flash takes care of the electrical.  It can be done for less money than going carbureted honestly.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well it's gonna float and lean like crazy between being 50 years old and being a soft B body. Time for a call to the guys at Hotchkis.
View Quote
 If it's anything like my Dads 68 455, this is it. Remember, they were catering to the people who couldn't afford a Caddy, and those were the days when you got out on the highway and set the cruise at 100 for hours on end. Even the 442's rode very nice. I put the 68 into a curve a little fast and thought it was going to roll over it leaned so much. But it will be a cool road boat when done.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

If it's anything like my Dads 68 455, this is it. Remember, they were catering to the people who couldn't afford a Caddy, and those were the days when you got out on the highway and set the cruise at 100 for hours on end. Even the 442's rode very nice. I put the 68 into a curve a little fast and thought it was going to roll over it leaned so much. But it will be a cool road boat when done.
View Quote
This is the info I'm looking for. I've been in pickups, semis, and jeeps all my life. I want this to be planted, steady, and safe for fun/ general tomfoolery. Trying to get an idea of what that's going to take. Prospective name is "the oldsmobuilt". Since its affactionately named "the olds" now 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're thinking wrong, the 425 has a steel crank and is a big block also.  I love me some ls goodness, but I would build the 425 in this case.  What heads are on the motor?  Anything but J heads are fine really.
View Quote
True, but it may be easier to find a 455 I would think. Just find one out of an old boat.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:11:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
425 is a big block and it does have a steel crank. My truck gets 7 mpg and has all the cool original motor goodness everybody talks so highly of. This isn't a show car. Originality went out the window when the brick went through it. Carpet, seat covers, and headliner need replaced due to water damage. Also won't have original paint, after I get done painting it. I can get a 5.3 and rebuild it for cheaper than rebuilding the 425. 5.3 will be lighter, more efficient, and I already know my way around it. 

Carb vs standalone efi unit. I've seen guys make way more power than I want with pretty good effeciency with a carb. Maybe efi is better? I don't know, I can get what I want done with a carb. Combat accuracy. 

I I thought there would be a lot of body roll. How should I fix that? Sway bars and shocks? Remember, I don't need a nascar rated suspension. I just don't want it rolling and bouncing all over the place like well... a boat from the 60's. Think just some good shocks and a strong sway bar will fix this?
View Quote
Find a big block wagon of the same year maybe. I did that on a 71 Impala I had. 2 dr small block car. found a big block wagon sway bar. It did keep it more level in turns. But I bet finding a Big GM wagon of that era now is pretty low.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Well thanks guy. Guess I'll be fabbing up some beefy sway bars when the time comes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top