User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They haven't made a 4cyl 4x4 ranger since the 80's.

Mine with the 3.0 and a 5 speed would get 16 on a GOOD day. My 2300 fox mustang couldn't even get the numbers you claim. A 20mpg 4x4 ranger is a pipe dream
View Quote
Bullshit, they were made at least through 97.

And my 4.0 4x4 5 speed Explorer sport would easily do 20+ highway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's just over 100 miles round trip.  Not horrible.
View Quote
Damn, that's a LONG commute to even consider anything but a high MPG car.

500 miles per week, 48 weeks per year is 24,000 miles.  4 years and you hit 100,000 miles.  

At 15 MPG, that's 1,600 gallons at $2.50/gallon for a total cost of $4,000.
At 20 MPG, that's 1,200 gallons at $2.50/gallon for a total cost of $3,000.
At 35 MPG, that's 685 gallons at $2.50/gallon for a total cost of $1,712.

Getting a 35 MPG commuter car would save you $190/month in operating costs vs. a V8 truck that gets 15 MPG.  Fuelly is showing that Ram 1500 V8's are getting 16-17 on average, while the V6 is getting about 20 MPG.  

Is $200 per month worth the convenience of not having to make a separate trip back to town with a cheap work truck?  That doesn't even factor in the cost difference between the new truck and the commuter car+beater truck.

BTW, my 2011 Tacoma gets 14 MPG in mixed driving.  That's AWFUL for a V6!  33" E-range tires don't help, but even before those tires were put on, I never broke 16 MPG except on long freeway stretches at 60 MPH.  The only saving grace for me is that in the 6.5 years I've owned it, it only has 42,000 miles on it.....
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

500 miles per week, 48 weeks per year is 24,000 miles.  4 years and you hit 100,000 miles.  

Getting a 35 MPG commuter car would save you $190/month in operating costs vs. a V8 truck that gets 15 MPG.  Fuelly is showing that Ram 1500 V8's are getting 16-17 on average, while the V6 is getting about 20 MPG.  

Is $200 per month worth the convenience of not having to make a separate trip back to town with a cheap work truck?  That doesn't even factor in the cost difference between the new truck and the commuter car+beater truck.

BTW, my 2011 Tacoma gets 14 MPG in mixed driving.  That's AWFUL for a V6!  33" E-range tires don't help, but even before those tires were put on, I never broke 16 MPG except on long freeway stretches at 60 MPH.  The only saving grace for me is that in the 6.5 years I've owned it, it only has 42,000 miles on it.....
View Quote
Last year my fuel cost was $6,181.87.  I track data for most things I do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Ram sucks.  Go with the F150 with the 2.7EB.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I recalibrate every fill up.  You prob. have the only Crew hemi getting that mileage after a full tank.  I too can get that mileage going downhill.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a rebel, couple thoughts on getting better mileage:
1) you can actually calibrate the throttle response
2) If you're doing 15mpg on the regular, it means the MDS isn't kicking on (It isn't switching from 8 to 4 cylinders when highway cruising lazily).
3) Are you in aero mode or did you disable it, be honest brother
Are your tires at proper PSI? I know when I got KO2s, they were a little bit sensitive to that. They had a shit ton of traction, and my non-expert theory on that is as you air those badboys down, the traction comes up but so does the rolling resistance and how hard the engine has to work to turn them.
4) Lastly, I shit you not, let off the gas for a brief moment after getting up to speed.
When you get a moment on a highway that's pretty empty, and if you can do so safely of course - Flip over to the screen where it shows you your fuel efficiency.
As you're going up a bit of a hill on the highway you'll probably be getting 15mpg at 70ish
Once you're at the hills top, and you're at speed, let off the gas a moment
When you do that, you signal to the MDS that it's okay to flip to 4 cylinders.
It should spring to about 20-22mpg when it does this, depending on a few things.
If you're doing 85, and passing people constantly, man, I mean

Once it goes from 15ish to that low 20s bracket, you've got it down pat.
Note: and it will do this on 40mpg roads that are nice lazy straightaways, free of stopsigns. If anything I do see higher than 20s.
Jackrabbit starts? The Hemi is thirsty
View Quote
It stays in Aero mode on the highway and tires are 55psi.  In cruise @60mps it shows me at maybe 17mpg.  It is actually better on 30mph roads.  I gave up on worrying about it.  What is a  avg. for you after a fill up?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It stays in Aero mode on the highway and tires are 55psi.  In cruise @60mps it shows me at maybe 17mpg.  It is actually better on 30mph roads.  I gave up on worrying about it.  What is a  avg. for you after a fill up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a rebel, couple thoughts on getting better mileage:
1) you can actually calibrate the throttle response
2) If you're doing 15mpg on the regular, it means the MDS isn't kicking on (It isn't switching from 8 to 4 cylinders when highway cruising lazily).
3) Are you in aero mode or did you disable it, be honest brother
Are your tires at proper PSI? I know when I got KO2s, they were a little bit sensitive to that. They had a shit ton of traction, and my non-expert theory on that is as you air those badboys down, the traction comes up but so does the rolling resistance and how hard the engine has to work to turn them.
4) Lastly, I shit you not, let off the gas for a brief moment after getting up to speed.
When you get a moment on a highway that's pretty empty, and if you can do so safely of course - Flip over to the screen where it shows you your fuel efficiency.
As you're going up a bit of a hill on the highway you'll probably be getting 15mpg at 70ish
Once you're at the hills top, and you're at speed, let off the gas a moment
When you do that, you signal to the MDS that it's okay to flip to 4 cylinders.
It should spring to about 20-22mpg when it does this, depending on a few things.
If you're doing 85, and passing people constantly, man, I mean

Once it goes from 15ish to that low 20s bracket, you've got it down pat.
Note: and it will do this on 40mpg roads that are nice lazy straightaways, free of stopsigns. If anything I do see higher than 20s.
Jackrabbit starts? The Hemi is thirsty
Interesting, and "ah shit", in that order.

As of this moment I can tell you the comp says 14.7, almost entirely non-highway.
Don't hold me to it but I believe once when it was newer I did the fuel math deal and came up within margin of computer.

Very interesting she's staying at 17 and not bumping to the 20 bracket.
Hmm

Late ETA: You've likely got this too - but the Front tires are 55psi, the rears should be 45, pull open the door look at the sticker yada yada
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a 2014 Ram quad cab with the 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine and 8 speed auto transmission.  It had this "ECO" light that showed when you were getting the best mileage, I tried to keep it in that sweet spot.  I drive like an old man (I am one) and got 18-20mpg in town, 22-23mpg combined hwy/town and 25-26mpg highway using cruise control.   Some won't believe it but it is how you drive the vehicle.  

As far as power it seemed OK for how I used it.  Loved the Ram but I just didn't use it much and wanted a smaller size vehicle so I traded it in for a Jeep.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a car....and a small trailer...and put a hitch on it.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and I average 19 on the 55 MPH limit roads I normally run however if I'm unloaded on the freeway I get 21. 

Loaded however I normally drop to 16 on the freeway. 

Get it and don't look back. You wont regret it at all.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab and I average 19 on the 55 MPH limit roads I normally run however if I'm unloaded on the freeway I get 21. 

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do you have the V6 or V8?

Loved the Ram but I just didn't use it much and wanted a smaller size vehicle so I traded it in for a Jeep.
I'm trading my Jeep.   Hate to see it go.

Quoted:
Get a car....and a small trailer...and put a hitch on it.  Problem solved.
See above.   Problem wasn't solved.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#12]
2017 Ram Quad Cab Express 4x4 package with 20inch wheels and V6.....I have had it for a month now.  I drive 6 miles round trip to work 25-35 mph zones.  I am averaging 15 MPG and I am running E85 ethanol fuel.  On first tank of fuel regular unleaded I got 19 MPG.  I enjoy the V6 as I don't have a trailer all the time to haul things.  When we researched the crew cab vs quad cab leg room in the quad vs crew cab, crew cab had more I don't remember exact measurements but you could see the difference we parked them next to each other at dealership.  I went with Quad cab as the rebates were better on them at the time.  We liked the crew cab with larger rear seat leg room and such since we have a 2 month old in a rear facing child seat but it works well in the quad cab as well. I am 6'03" and can sit comfortably in the rear seat with front seat all the way back.  It is a great truck over all, we have 3 of them in my entire family, Dad has a V6 and my brother got the Hemi, all 3 are quad cabs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, you don't need a homestead farm, you need a homestead oil well and refinery!!!

Given that kind of fuel expense, looking at a diesel is probably going to pay off quite a bit faster.  Even a 3/4T diesel is likely to work better in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is that for on-road vehicles only or does that include farm implements, well pumps, fuel oil for heating, etc?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is that for on-road vehicles only or does that include farm implements, well pumps, fuel oil for heating, etc?
View Quote
That was me looking at the wrong page in my software.

The real number is $3253.32.  It's for my daily driver only.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2.7 ecoboost and thank me later.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#17]
trucks

get a mid 2000s truck, pay cash have no payment and spend the next 10 years giving zero fucks about gas miliage.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
My ram gets 13 mpg city. 17 highway. I still love her though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:58:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They haven't made a 4cyl 4x4 ranger since the 80's.
View Quote
How odd then this would be for sale.
http://www.topguncustomz.com/i-25498476-sjs-2-90-97-ford-ranger-4x4-skyjacker-lift-kit-4-cylinder.html
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I looked at the Colorado yesterday.  It would do everything I need but it was just a little too small.   For example, a sheet of plywood won't fit between the wheel wells.
View Quote
Great for what they are, but yeah you'd have issues with larger things like plywood. Toss the larger stuff in a trailer?

I have a 2016 Z71 Colorado and they get 20+ mpg fairly easy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#21]
You find a second gen 4cyl 4wd ranger.

While they technically did make a few I'd say production was easily less that 5% of 2nd gen 4x4 rangers sold.

None of which changes the fact it will be a <20mpg roadgoing turd.

I've owned enough rangers and 2300 powered fords. I know the score your bullshit nostalgia about how awesome these little crap cans were has no affect on me
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You find a second gen 4cyl 4wd ranger.

While they technically did make a few I'd say production was easily less that 5% of 2nd gen 4x4 rangers sold.

None of which changes the fact it will be a <20mpg roadgoing turd.

I've owned enough rangers and 2300 powered fords. I know the score your bullshit nostalgia about how awesome these little crap cans were has no affect on me
View Quote
I have no desire to own one nor do I have nostalgia for them, but they aren't sub 20mpg highway trucks unless you're doing something wrong. End of discussion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:58:08 PM EDT
[#23]
My old 98 K1500 gets around 15MPG, my commute is about 60 miles.  Thankfully, I take my car @ 31MPG most of the time, unless I'm hauling something or it's a bad winter weather day...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top