User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a die hard Ford guy, if you want handling get a Vette.

We had a road course track day in my Mustang club. 50 something Mustangs, everything from "built" foxes to Terminators to GT500s and Coyotes and everything in between. Many cars there were built with handling in mind.

The 1 and only C5 Vetted was like 2 seconds quicker around the course than the quickest Mustang.

If you absolutely MUST have a back seat, look for a first gen CTSV and put a couple bucks into it to fix the weak links.

Or a GTO

Edit: OR you can shove my jealousy meter off the charts if you spend a little more and get a Pontiac G8 with a V8.
View Quote
I'd LOVE a G8, but only the GXP has the 3rd pedal. Those things are still easily above 30k. I can get a brand new SS for 10k more. Crazy how it gets out of hand quick.

Sounds like I need to go take a CTS V for a spin. Still paranoid about the rear end. But if it's fixable I guess why not? Curious to see how well they'll handle as big as they are
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#2]

still up on blocks huh.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

still up on blocks huh.

View Quote
Lmao! Now you know better than that Rosie! 
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd be all over a C5 Z06. Yes its double my budget but it would be my forever toy. Performance bargain of the century right there. But unfortunately I need a back seat for my kid to ride around in.
View Quote
I can personally vouch that you can get a full grown passed out drunk blond in the hatch of a Corvette and she won't even block the rear window.

My GF and I had to pick up her crazy alcoholic daughter one night.  In case you were wondering or thinking dead hooker...
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd LOVE a G8, but only the GXP has the 3rd pedal. Those things are still easily above 30k. I can get a brand new SS for 10k more. Crazy how it gets out of hand quick.

Sounds like I need to go take a CTS V for a spin. Still paranoid about the rear end. But if it's fixable I guess why not? Curious to see how well they'll handle as big as they are
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a die hard Ford guy, if you want handling get a Vette.

We had a road course track day in my Mustang club. 50 something Mustangs, everything from "built" foxes to Terminators to GT500s and Coyotes and everything in between. Many cars there were built with handling in mind.

The 1 and only C5 Vetted was like 2 seconds quicker around the course than the quickest Mustang.

If you absolutely MUST have a back seat, look for a first gen CTSV and put a couple bucks into it to fix the weak links.

Or a GTO

Edit: OR you can shove my jealousy meter off the charts if you spend a little more and get a Pontiac G8 with a V8.

the trick for buying a 1st gen CTS-V is to get 06-07, avoid 04-05 for the sole reason that the 06-07 got the LS2 (larger bore, shares everything with the 4.0~ bore LSes that dominated the perf scene for Gen4), better ECM, better alternator setup [read: cheaper], they all came with an updated rear over the 04-05, and some other minor things

Buy one that someone has already gone thru and done the radiator and bushings to
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you're putting your family in it, I'd look at a 5-lug swap for the Fox and some SN95 brakes for good 4-wheel disc.  The stock brakes suck ass.  I still need to 5-lug swap mine
View Quote
That's strange. I used to stop a 10 flat mustang easily with stock brakes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 11:22:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Long story going to try to share some of my experience.

Back ground:  I've had 9 mustangs. 5 Foxes from factory to two 8sec cars(1 turbo and 1 No2, 01 cobra, 07 Gt mostly stock, 07 Gt500 605hp 620tq. 01 Camaro z/28, 01 WS6 trans am.

I've made 420hp on stock drive train in a fox.  I built the motor, using a stock block, HCI, Stroker kit, left the trans alone and put gears in the rear end.  That was it and it was my favorite car.

Built a 91 fox lx with 363ci Dart motor with 88mm turbo, cage, suspension, 9" rear end, swapped a 3 speed auto trans. Ran 8.80s and sold it because of the trans I couldn't drive it on the street.

Built a 90 fox lx coupe 408ci nitrous car, striped, mini tub, auto, and ran 8.90s but couldn't drive on the street because it didn't turn worth a damn.    

Built or bought a few others in between.  For the street.

I nuked one AOD trans in a fox while running about 375hp high mile car and I knew it would give up at some point. I had it rebuilt and it worked great until I sold it.

01 Cobra was mild but the IRS in that car had weak bushings and the car had a lot of wheel hop.  Bought it with 12k miles in 06 sold it in 09 with 60k

Gt500 was bought with 44k miles pulley kit.  Started having grinding issues shifting into 2nd and had a ton of wheel hop sold it before it had 48k miles.

My two GM cars the trans am (auto) and Camaro (6speed): I nuked the trans and rear end in the trans am after a HCI package. I didn't believe everyone when they told me it wouldn't hold up because I made good power in some foxes before this.  I didn't put the trans am on the dyno but we guessed the motor made over 400hp. the week after I got all this done I broke the rear at the track.  After fixing that I was driving my buddy around and lost the trans.  I went out and bought the z/28 after this did the same HCI package on it.  Thinking that the 6speed would be better I lost the rear 2months after getting it running and gave up.

What does it all mean?  A fox in good shape will take a good amount of mods and abuse. It's cheap, fun, 400-450hp limit on the stock block, but a little dated.  6speed F-bodies are good cars if you upgrade the supporting drive train before the motor.  It is difficult to beat a vette in the corners.  

PS. I'm about to buy my 10th mustang and It's a fox. It's going to be a long build from ground up and hopefully will win the 10.0 class in true street.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top