Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2017 11:08:06 PM EDT
I finally made it back to the US and I'm getting ready to start back on the USMC M1030B1 restoration. The original thread was archived and can be viewed here. Part 1
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the storage locker today and decided the next bike to start will be the one posted below. It only has 837 miles on it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Look forward to seeing this
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I rebuilt the carb today. The plan is to replace the fluids, install a Deka battery and see if I can get the engine to crank. Once that's successful then I'll begin replacing and fixing everything else. I got a awesome 465 rear shock from progressive. Then it's just paint and minor parts like brake pads, chain, sprockets, tires, etc. I spent the last few months in Iraq ordering parts and a few of my buddies were trying to hand me checks for one of the bikes. Once this one is done it's onto another of the LE auction bikes (which seems like it's about to start) and then my buddies.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Subbed

Love bikes but cant own one
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Today I went ahead and traced the electrical from the battery to the ignition switch and cleaned all of the connections and replaced those crappy fuses. I will eventually switch over to the blade type once I get this bike up and running. I finally got the lights and black out lights to come on once the key is turned to the run position.  I filled up the fuel tank and got a minor leak from the fuel petcock. I need a new seal but I’m thinking about switching to the Raptor petcock from Eagle Mike. I did get the bike to crank but it won’t turn over. This could be due to the clutch safety switch. I can’t get the clutch lever to compress. I think the cable is hung up or just bad. I’ll take it off and try another one tomorrow. The bike is in neutral and the neutral light is on. It could also be the carburetor that I just rebuilt as well.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome project
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I got the high beams and turn signals to work. The high beam switch takes some playing with to get the high beams on. It may be the switch or I may just need to clean it up a bit. I am waiting on a Raptor fuel petcock and a carb rebuild kit so I’ll take a few days off this bike. While waiting I finally got the pivot bolt out of my bike. I took it to a local shop and they used a press and heat but only got it to move about 5 inches. I was able to cut the bolt on the left side first and then shift over the bearing sleeve to the left to cut the right side. I have a replacement pivot bolt and lever. This was a tough one to cut with a hacksaw. I'll try to paint the frame with Rapco 686 Tan to test it out.

Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you know where another one of these are for sale?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know where another one of these are for sale?
View Quote
They are hard to find. The fact that I have 8 is super rare. Eventually some show up on Ebay, Steel Soldiers, craigslist, etc. It's important to ensure that they are real M1030B1's. Almost all of the parts are for KLR650 87-07. The USMC specific parts are impossible to find so if you do find one look for the black out lights. blackout switch, handlebar brush guard, engine brush guard, and under the frame there is a steel skid plate (not the plastic one). The gas tanks are sold by IMS but the current version is a bit different and the older one's have different gas caps then the current ones.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I started painting this current bike while waiting for my lift and carb rebuild kit. I had to degrease and wash the parts with purple power, use RAPCO primer, and then RAPCO 383 green.  They turned out pretty good. The original markings on the plastics were just stencils. I ordered what I thought would match after measuring them. Them seem pretty close but the font is off. I think I have found the exact font for the next bike. I’m removing the exhaust and airbox for paint. My buddy is going to cerakote the exhaust with the hightemp they put out a while ago. He will media blast it first so we will see how it holds up.

Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been slacking on updating the threads lately. I was busy painting the rear swing arm, air box, exhaust, etc. I wound up breaking the chain off while waiting for a replacement. With everything on this bike it was a pain in the ass. I also switched the fuel petcock on the IMS tank to the non-vacuum raptor. All you have to do is cap off the vacuum tube on the carb and your good to go. The best news is that I finally got the bike to start. While waiting on a few more parts and still assembling it I have started on two other bikes. I have all of the lights (to include the blackout lights) working. I’m just rebuilding another carburetor, which I will use to test the starting system in both bikes. The bike is looking much better now. I will post updated pictures within the next week.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have pretty much completed the first bike. There is a issue with the clutch not activating so I cant get the bike out of neutral. I’ll have a friend that is a bit more knowledgeable in that then me check it out. Then it’s just covering a seat and it’s done.
I decided to start on bike #2. I went through all of the wiring, cleaned up the connections, installed a new Deka battery, Raptor non-vacuum fuel petcock, replaced the fuses, rebuilt the carb and used the IMS tank set aside for my bike. The other two tanks lying around were really dirty and I didn't want to throw that problem into the mix. Anyone know the best way to clean out fuel tanks?

I was able to get all of the lights and black out lights to work. The bike wouldn't even attempt to start. All I would get is a click at the starter circuit relay. I then bridged the two connections on the starter relay and it tried to crank. After some coaxing I got it to start.

I’ll give it a rough once over before I take it out for a test drive in the dirt. It seemed there was a minor fuel leak at first but tightening down the petcock seemed to solve that. There was some oil coming out of the airbox drain. I assume this is due overfilling.
Bike #1

BIKE#2
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
We took out bike #2 for a test ride. It went well but the engine temperature ran high. I had flushed out the radiator and overflow. It was a bit dirty but easy enough to clean. I assume it's the impeller or the water pump that needs to be replaced. Other then that issue it handled well. We will now begin the paint and clean up process on it. I already had the exhaust sandblasted and painted with high temp paint along with the front fairing and blackout light painted Rapco 383 Green.

I just received the military shock from F1 Engineering. These were the shocks that were placed on the diesel version (M1030M1) of the M1030B1. They developed the new shock around 2003 to replace the Progressive 420 shock. Progressive developed the 420 specifically for the military. We also purchased a Progressive 465 shock with the RAP. Progressive is an awesome company and the shock looks great. I got the F1 shock from Noleen J6 Inc. I wouldn't give them a positive review based on the 4-month wait for the shock. We are going to go with Progressive 465 from now on.

I found another inventory tag on the upper fork covers of Bike #1 (this one is completed and painted). The UIC code indicates that it was last with H&S Company 2nd Battalion 6th Marines 2nd Marine Division.

Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Those are gigantic fuel tanks.  Thanks for posting - it's a fascinating project.  Not many diesel bikes out there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Those are gigantic fuel tanks.  Thanks for posting - it's a fascinating project.  Not many diesel bikes out there.
View Quote
You can buy the same type of fuel tanks from IMS.
They now come with radiator vents.

Those aren't diesel bikes.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:14:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just received the military shock from F1 Engineering. These were the shocks that were placed on the diesel version (M1030M1) of the M1030B1. They developed the new shock around 2003 to replace the Progressive 420 shock. Progressive developed the 420 specifically for the military. We also purchased a Progressive 465 shock with the RAP. Progressive is an awesome company and the shock looks great. I got the F1 shock from Noleen J6 Inc. I wouldn't give them a positive review based on the 4-month wait for the shock. We are going to go with Progressive 465 from now on.
View Quote
Noleen makes the shock for F1.  
At one time Noleen was a big time MX suspension expert.
There was some sort of an "issue", that's why the company is called Noleen J6 these days.

I had Noleen make me a KLR650 shock to my specs back in 2009.
It worked bitchen.

If I had the choice I would go with Noleen over Progressive even with the wait.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:20:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone know the best way to clean out fuel tanks?
View Quote
Remove the petcock and throw it away.
Wash out the tank with warm soapy water.
You can toss a handful of clean washers, nuts and bolts into the tank and then shake up the tank.
Flush it with plenty of clean water.

After that you can use some 100% alcohol to rinse out the gas tank.

Or, if you have a way and means to dispose of "dirty gas" you can use gasoline.

Buy a new petcock and gasket.

On my IMS tank I ended up having to use some MIL-S-8802 B 1/2 to seal up the petcock.
I applied it like you would any other gasket sealant.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 2:40:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There was some oil coming out of the airbox drain. I assume this is due overfilling.
View Quote
That's coming from the crankcase vent tube.
It's routed into the airbox on the clean air side of the airbox.

If you overfill the crankcase it will over pressurize the crankcase and foam the oil and blow it out the vent tube into the airbox.

If your rings are wearing out the blowby can also over pressurize the crankcase.

If you run the bike at or near redline "often" you'll also get blowby.

It's no big deal, you'll have to keep the airbox clean and keep an eye on the oil level.

There's a crankcase PVC mod (Google it up), I finally got tired of it and I routed a hose from the crankcase breather up under and behind the license plate, put a small air filter on the end of the hose and zip-tied it up.
That way the crankcase blowby went out the back of the bike.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I found another inventory tag on the upper fork covers of Bike #1 (this one is completed and painted). The UIC code indicates that it was last with H&S Company 2nd Battalion 6th Marines 2nd Marine Division.
View Quote
Thats my old unit....was Weapons Co though.

Bet that bike was on float with us in 2002
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:13:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You can buy the same type of fuel tanks from IMS.
They now come with radiator vents.

http://www.vaq34.com/junk/orange_and_green_003.jpg

Those aren't diesel bikes.  
View Quote
The new IMS tanks seem to increase air flow but the issue with this restoration is that the tanks without the cut outs aren't made any more. I'm keeping this as original as possible. Plus the new IMS tank gas caps won't fit the old non cut out IMS tanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#22]
It seems bike #1 and #2 are almost complete at this point. The seats need to be recovered, the front forks seals replaced and forks painted, new tires and paint the wheels, and get some new turn signals. I am having a bike mechanic look them over one more time to ensure nothing was missed. On bike #2 there was only one upper sub frame bolt.  It’s on to bike #3 to see if we can get it started and running then onto the tedious restoration process. We even got a company to copy reproduce the front goggle bag since the originals were so trashed. I also have the DD Form 1348-1A Issue Release document from Hayes Diversified to the Marine’s that shows the price of $6,518.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:42:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to know what sorta mileage you get out of those.  I'd get 60 mpg out of my Suzuki GS500F @ 65 mph - I bet you're closer to a hundred outta yours.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd love to know what sorta mileage you get out of those.  I'd get 60 mpg out of my Suzuki GS500F @ 65 mph - I bet you're closer to a hundred outta yours.
View Quote
It's listed to get 55 mpg and the diesel version is supposed to get 96 mpg. I haven't ridden one enough to know for sure. With a 6 gallon tank I don't have to worry about it too much.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#25]
So what value do you put on a restored bike?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So what value do you put on a restored bike?
View Quote
It really depends on how much work was put into it. I've seen them unrestored but running sell for $3,500 and a full restoration go for $5,500. I think $4,000 is reasonable. Finding a GEN 1 KLR 650 with under 1,000 miles is pretty tough. They are usually around 10,000 miles and go for about $2,500-$3,000. Getting a USMC one that is basically new and with USMC specific parts that are impossible to find should be worth a extra grand. I have a lot of hours into fixing these bikes and most people would have to pay a shop for that work. We will let the market dictate the price and see where it goes. I enjoyed working on these bikes and I want people to enjoy owning them. I always wanted one ever since I saw them in the Marines. We might sell off one or two as project bikes for cost and let someone finish it themselves.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Are any of the diesel bikes available on the market?  That would make a helluva commuter bike.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are any of the diesel bikes available on the market?  That would make a helluva commuter bike.
View Quote
Not yet. They have some demil deal where they destroy them. There's one in England and on police department that has some. Rumor is that they are starting to filter down to the police now so we may see them in a few years.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not yet. They have some demil deal where they destroy them. There's one in England and on police department that has some. Rumor is that they are starting to filter down to the police now so we may see them in a few years.
View Quote
Someone posted pics,  either here in GD or over and ADV, of a diesel bike that their friend bought .  He was looking for help with the motor.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Someone posted pics,  either here in GD or over and ADV, of a diesel bike that their friend bought .  He was looking for help with the motor.
View Quote
That's cool. Is it a recent thread? If so try and post the link to the thread I'd would be cool to follow it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:22:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's cool. Is it a recent thread? If so try and post the link to the thread I'd would be cool to follow it.
View Quote
Here you go
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Here you go
View Quote
I was hoping it was a government auction but it was just auctioned off from the sheriffs office. $6K isn't a bad price for that as long as it runs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:28:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
The engines are sent back to HDT and they rebuild them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Here's a 2002 M1030B1 for anyone that wants to buy one without a title M1030B1 Auction
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top