Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2017 10:22:19 PM EDT
I wear glasses and most full face helmet reviews say that they simply don't work with glasses.

However this model has reviews that are positive in that regards.

Is it a reputable brand/model?

Product in question:
CRG Sports ATV Motocross Motorcycle Scooter Full-Face Fiberglass Helmet DOT Certified ATV-1 Glossy Black Size Medium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PX6490I?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...most full face helmet reviews say that they simply don't work with glasses.
View Quote

That's bullshit.

While glasses with thick temples can be an issue, most reasonable pairs will not be a problem. Have you not yet tried anything on yourself? You absolutely must try on a helmet before purchasing - even if you're going to order, whether for graphics, price, whatever, you MUST try an example of the exact model and size to ensure proper fit, which matters above all else.

Both myself and my father wear glasses and ride. I more typically wear contacts, but sometimes have to resort to glasses, while he always has to wear glasses. We've both worn a variety of helmets - several different HJCs, Scorpions, and Shoeis. Both of us currently wear Shoeis, a Qwest for him an a RF-1100 for me. (I'll probably be upgrading to a 1200 this year, but I want to wait to see the new RF-SR.)

I have also worn sunglasses with no issues regarding fitment (optical issues due to mine being polarized, yes ), and I know plenty of other riders that do the same. Many don't want to carry two shields, so for those without an integrated sun visor, having sunglasses and a clear shield gives them all-day coverage with minimal packing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Look for flip face models
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Glasses work fine with most helmets. 

That helmet you linked to is a heavy pos.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Agree with both the above. And, I prefer 3/4 or flip with glasses.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:53:07 AM EDT
[#5]
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-revolver-evo-helmet-solid
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Before I had LASIK surgery I wore glasses with many full face helmets. They all worked just fine.

A guy I ride with has a nasty scar on his forehead from the sunglasses smashing into him during a pretty mild wreck....something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's bullshit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...most full face helmet reviews say that they simply don't work with glasses.

That's bullshit.
What this guy said. I wear glasses and I've worn nothing but full-face helmets. Currently wear a Shoei RF1200. Every modular/flip up helmet I've tried on has tried to rip my glasses off my face when flipping up the chin bar.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Another BS flag from me.  I ride every day, unless it's icy, which is quite rare in Dallas. I wear glasses of some type everytime I ride. Yellow, clear, or smoke, I'm wearing glasses under my Arai XD4. And did under XD3, Shark Evo, and everything before those.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer visor up riding and have worn sunglasses with every helmet I have owned.

Go try a bunch out and take your glasses
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I prefer visor up riding and have worn sunglasses with every helmet I have owned.
View Quote
I always wear sunglasses or a pair of clear lens Oakleys under my helmets (Arai Corsair X and Schuberth C3).  Like the quoted poster, I like riding visor up any time I am below highway speeds.

I've never worn a helmet that interferes with normal glasses.  Most new helmets have room in the liner at the temple specifically for glasses.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear sunglasses all the time with my helmet and have never had an issue.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't wear glasses or sunglasses with my Shoei GT Air but my wife does with her Shoei RF1100 with no problem.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#13]
So if that one is too heavy, under 150$ what can you recommend?

I'm on a moped.

Keep your price lectures to yourself please, the money simply is not there.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Go try some on and find one that's comfortable for you  Even if you go and try them and then order online, but they all fit differently for different people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:03:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm on a moped.

Keep your price lectures to yourself please, the money simply is not there.

Thanks!
View Quote
Check out HRJ helmets on ebay
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Just go try them on. I have a couple helmets I have found for that money. As stated though you really need to try them on as everyone has a little different shaped head
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, you gotta try 'em on, and for an extended period of time, preferably. For example, HJC and Shoei fit me great, while Icon are like a medieval torture device.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Bell Qualifier.
Damn good cheap helmet and fits glasses just fine.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, you gotta try 'em on, and for an extended period of time, preferably. For example, HJC and Shoei fit me great, while Icon are like a medieval torture device.
View Quote
Even within one brand things can vary a lot. You need to try the specific model and size.

I love my RF-1100. The 1200 fits great too, being an evolution of that platform. A Qwest fits me alright. But a GT-Air? Can't do it, doesn't fit right at all. Zero chance.

As I said before, I'm waiting for the RF-SR to actually hit shelves and see what it's like before I replace my aging 1100. If it's really good, I'll go with one of those, otherwise it'll be a RF-1200 for me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:40:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
HJC and Bell immediately come to mind as offering quality helmets within that price range. But fitment rules above all else, really.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#21]
You really should try on helmets in person.  Fit is such a personal thing, that the only way to figure it out it to try a helmet on.  Even the fit in the same manufacturers helmet line can be different from helmet to helmet.  A poor fitting helmet is horrible, particularly once you have tried on one that fits. I have been riding for 20 years and have always had a bad experience when buying a helmet that I didn't try on before ordering.  There is nothing worse than getting a headache because the helmet is pushing on your forehead.  It is a quick way to ruin riding or make you ride without a helmet.

Look for a local motorcycle or scooter shop.  They usually stock lower end helmets as well as a few higher end ones.  Then try them on.  The fit test, besides how comfortable it feels is to see how snug it fits you.  Put the helmet on and try turning (side to side) & twisting it (up and down) while keeping your head still.  It shouldn't freely turn.  It should move your skin & scalp as you rotate it.  If it can turn without moving your skin or scalp, it is too loose and can come off in a crash.

Next, once you find one that feels decent, wear it for 5 or 10 minutes.  It is amazing how many helmets feel decent at first, but within a few minutes you start to notice the pressure points.  Many people have stories about how a helmet felt great at the dealership, but after an hour give them a headache.

The good new is that as long as it is DOT or Snell certified, even cheap helmets do a great job of protecting you.  Yes, a $1000 Arai or Shoei will do better in a crash (particularly a high speed one) than a $100 helmet, but not 10x better.  In fact, there is an article about how cheap helmets can actually do better in some low speed crashes compared to the higher end ones.  Most cheaper helmets has a plastic shell, which flexes better at lower speeds and spreads out the impact forces.  Higher end shell are made of various densities of a combination of fibers, so they are better for high speed crashes where penetration issues come up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been able to use glasses with all the helmets I've ever had.  

Since I'm in AZ, I run sunglasses under my mirror visor all the time when the suns out.  

But, I tend to shop for thin profile sun glasses, as I usually wear them shooting and the thinner they are, the better they work with ear pro.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Not in the same ballpark price-wise but....

I wear glasses and have a SHOEI Neotec.  I've owned a bunch of helmets and put up with a bunch of shitty helmets.  I quit screwing around a year ago and decided my head and brain were worth a hell of a lot more than a hundred bucks.

The Neotec works (for me).  No problem with glasses, no problem opening and closing it, no problem with fogging or ventilation and no problem with noise or comfort- WORTH EVERY PENNY IT COST.

Never going back to cheap ill fitting helmets again.

Main piece of advice besides figuring the value of your head is to never order a helmet you haven't tried on.  There are a lot of different head/face shapes and a lot of different helmet shapes. Getting a GOOD one that actually fits your head right makes all the difference in the world.  Even after coughing up the dough for the Neotec I found the cheek pads way too tight and had to buy thinner cheek pads to fit my fat face.  Made all the difference in the world comfort and fit wise.

And after waiting a bit and seeing what you posted I'd suggest checking out HJC.  I had one that fit great and was my second favorite helmet but was not expensive.  It was an older modular helmet.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Maybe this:

HJC Modular Helmet $139.99

Another thing to consider is replacement visors and parts.  If you buy some off brand you can't count on getting replacement parts, shields etc..
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Bell Qualifier.
Damn good cheap helmet and fits glasses just fine.
View Quote
With the caveat that it unbelievably loud, maybe worse than no helmet at all, it's a great helmet for the money.

I religiously wear foam ear plugs anyway, because any riding over 30mph will aggravate my tinnitus if I don't.

Also, the visor can pop open if you're doing headchecks at... probably not legal speeds

Looking going to replace mine at the end of summer with one of those new Shoei RF-SRs, but for the money I spent I really can't complain.

And glasses will fit into almost any helmet in my experience, but I'd definitely get straight-temple "aviator" style ones because hooked earpieces are an absolute PITA to get on and off.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#27]
You get what you pay for with helmets.  Better fit, finish, comfort and light weight all come with a price.

The difference between a $100 lid and a $500 lid is night and day.  But sometimes you just gotta dig a little deeper...

This is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn.  Feels almost (but not quite) as good sliding this on as sliding into a woman.  Well, maybe I'm exaggerating...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#28]
"Good" motorcycle helmets have "cutouts" for eyeglasses and sunglasses.

The Speed and Strength dual sport helmet I use when I ride my KTM 500 on the street does not have the cutouts  for eyeglasses.
It's a pain in the ass to find the sweet spot for the glasses.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:03:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Schuberth c3 or c4 is what you need
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Love my Shuberth C3 - I didn't go for the latest version but instead got one at a great discount.  Glasses are no problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#31]
look at motorcyclecloseouts.com if budget is an issue, but a helmet is a bad place to try and save money.  While I normally wear Shoei or Arai, I went a little different recently and picked up an LS2 based off of researching them online and seeing that many of their models have passed certifications for use in GP.  I didn't go with their budget choice, but I am happy with the fit/finish/ventilation of the one I did choose and it compares well to my Arai RX7 corsair.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Before I had LASIK surgery I wore glasses with many full face helmets. They all worked just fine.

A guy I ride with has a nasty scar on his forehead from the sunglasses smashing into him during a pretty mild wreck....something to keep in mind.
View Quote
I've got a pretty good gouge on the bridge of my nose from trying to remove my helmet before removing my glasses...............
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've got a pretty good gouge on the bridge of my nose from trying to remove my helmet before removing my glasses...............
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'll teach ya
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#34]
you get what you pay for with helmets. invest in a decent one. I'm not saying you NEED to fork for $400+ for an shoei or an arai but don't buy some no name off brand helmet off amazon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I only get Arai helmets. I don't see a problem with glasses as I have many friends who wear glasses and sunglasses while riding.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:35:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those are great for so many reasons!  I've worn glasses with all types of full face.  It can be a PITA but it works.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Also flip down sunshades are pretty sweet to have as well!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#39]
As others have said - you REALLY need to go to a local bike store and try on different models / sizes / brand to find one that fits.

If you get the wrong shell shape / size for your skull, it can hurt like a SUMBITCH after 10-20min of riding - and that would be your $150 wasted.
Anyone that is not telling you this, is not giving you good advice.

When you find one in the bike shop that fits, take a pic or note the brand / model / size and go home to look for it on ebay / amazon / closeout ads and get it MUCH cheaper than what the store is trying to sell it for.

Bell, HJC, Scorpion, AGV make good quality helmets on the lower end of the price scale.

All the ones on the link below are likely much better than the POS you linked to on Amazon.
https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/motorcycle-helmets-closeouts/?search_query=&page=1&limit=48&sort=priceasc&Product=Full%20Face%20Helmet&Product=Modular%20Helmet&category=55208&is_category_page=1
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
This, but before I got one, I wore a couple Arai full face helmets with glasses for the better part of 20 years.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:30:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Had no problem wearing glasses with Shoei or Fulmer full-face helmets back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Also look at helmets with a Snell M rating . it will have Snell M-15 or something close . The DOT sticker is as close to no value as possible and means nothing in relation to protection .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top