Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/26/2017 12:00:54 PM EDT
Did they ever get the LB7 injector problem squared away? As in, after all these years, did they come up with an injector that wasn't destined to prematurely fail?

We took in a clean, low mileage '03 Duramax, and I can get it for cheap, but I don't wanna throw injectors at it all the time. I can do the work myself, but at ~$250 an injector, I can't afford to have to replace 'em all the time.

I checked the balance rates on the current injectors, and they're all well within GM's -4 to +4 specs. The truck has ~140K on it so I suspect they've been changed once. Maybe.

If's there's a replacement available that lasts, I might jump on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Being a '03 they probably have been changed more than once. The GM injectors seem to last the longest but 100k miles is the best you will ever see out of them. If the the pickup is clean and priced right I wouldn't really worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They never changed the injectors much but what you can do is improve fuel filtration which will stretch the life out as far as possible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a '03 they probably have been changed more than once. The GM injectors seem to last the longest but 100k miles is the best you will ever see out of them. If the the pickup is clean and priced right I wouldn't really worry about it.
View Quote
Yeah..no. 

My truck has almost 300k on it and the first set was changed at 172k under warranty. Still going strong. GM/Bosch reved the design at least twice that I know of. They did fix them, seat erosion was one of the issues and that seems to resolved.  Up until the LP5 Bosch continued supplying injectors of various design for the next 15 years and failure rates are not out if line.  They also supplied injectors for Cummins and I think Ford when they finally went common rail. 

If they have been replaced since 2008 or so they are good injectors and should be fine. Change the filter regularly, I try to keep water out of the system with an additive...ymmv. 

I think the lb7 was the best...no emissions..at all. The VVT is nifty but I like my screaming little IHI 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Can't be permanently fixed due to the design.

Supposedly Merchant Automotive sells some that are pretty close to a one-and-done but overall still expect every 100k replacements
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the info, guys.

I'll probably pick it up this week, and then get to ordering some fuel filters, and possibly a lift pump!!

This truck will my life a lot easier when it comes to pulling my trailer. My old Sequoia with the 4.7 just doesn't have the power to get over any small rise in the road!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:55:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The problem is not so much the injector but more of a system flaw. These were mostly failing due to fuel starvation, dirty fuel filters or a supply restriction. As another poster said fix the supply side and they will last a long time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The problem is not so much the injector but more of a system flaw. These were mostly failing due to fuel starvation, dirty fuel filters or a supply restriction. As another poster said fix the supply side and they will last a long time.
View Quote

That is my plan!! I'm gonna do the CAT fuel fliter upgrade, and will look for a lift pump/filter system in the near future!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Supposedly Merchant Automotive sells some that are pretty close to a one-and-done but overall still expect every 100k replacements
View Quote
I've spent good money with Merchant over the years, been to the shop...I'd be real careful believing the propaganda.  Great place to buy hard to find parts and tools...for when you do the work yourself.  Not sure I'd pay Eric to wrench on my truck again, then again, I don't pay anyone to wrench on my truck..so..
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've spent good money with Merchant over the years, been to the shop...I'd be real careful believing the propaganda.  Great place to buy hard to find parts and tools...for when you do the work yourself.  Not sure I'd pay Eric to wrench on my truck again, then again, I don't pay anyone to wrench on my truck..so..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a mechanic, but not a diesel mechanic. I think I can do most of this stuff myself, including replacing the injectors. If I had to pay someone to do the work on this truck, there's no way I'd buy it!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm a mechanic, but not a diesel mechanic. I think I can do most of this stuff myself, including replacing the injectors. If I had to pay someone to do the work on this truck, there's no way I'd buy it!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, I'm no kind of mechanic...and I've built them from an empty shell. Duramax aren't tough to work on, just need some specific knowledge...which is avaliable. If you get stuck on something feel free to pm me. I can at least point you in the right direction
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey, I'm no kind of mechanic...and I've built them from an empty shell. Duramax aren't tough to work on, just need some specific knowledge...which is avaliable. If you get stuck on something feel free to pm me. I can at least point you in the right direction
View Quote

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
This thread has me eyeing LB7's now.

Goddamn it
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This thread has me eyeing LB7's now.

Goddamn it
View Quote

After doing some research, I can't find a reason not to buy this truck!! 6.0 and 6.4 Ford's have way too many issues, and around here, Dodge prices are way beyond my means!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The only ones I would avoid are the very early build 01's, I haven't been able to confirm this but I've heard the early blocks had some casting issues. When i was younger and dumber...I may have beaten an LB7 to death, and just about ran over the crank in the process.  Cracked the block something impressive...but didn't bend the rods...?   Now, those were the heady days of stacked tuners and other assorted shenanigans...so God himself only knows what kind of timing I had in that poor thing.  No sprays but lots and lots of fuel.  Pistons looked like golf balls when they came out...but they never cracked.

It's tuned correctly now, makes just as much power but the tuning is EFI live and not all 'tarded.  

I think they are great motors, lots of us early adopters still think the LB7 is the master race...simple ( for a diesel) and reliable.  That's not to say that you can't find one that's been all fucked up by someone.  Balance rates are a decent quick check, if they are good things are probably good. If they are bad....well it could be lots of things causing it. Return rates on each bank is a better check on the injectors.   The injector setup is finicky, once it's right it's fine but there are lots of ways to mess up an injector swap on an LB7.  The injector cups are a PITA. 

The LBZ is another good motor. I have LLY's in the family too...they aren't bad, basically an LB7 with improved injector setup. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I had an LLY several years ago but at the time I made very little money and the idea of doing head gaskets scared me into selling it. Miss that truck a bunch.

Now, I'd love to hold out for a clean LBZ but they're like gold.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah a clean lbz is the unicorn. 6 speed, no dpf or scr.  Really everything prior to '10 is pretty good. Once they went to the cp4 pump things got sketchy.  I have a buddy that owns a small car lot and shop, he found a long box, 4 door 4x4 Texas truck at an auction for like 12k. Cp4 was bad, fixed it up and kept it for himself.  I need a deal like that! 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I never bought the voltage argument. Yes they changed it...but they've kept on changing it over the years.  I think the voltage was a heat issue in the ficm. 

Nah, it was a materials issue combined with bad filtration. That basically built a 30k psi water jet and the guts of the injector weren't up to the task. DLC coatings and hard chrome appear to be the solution. 

The other issue is the plumbing of the lb7 head, having the injectors under the valve covers was a bad idea that made simple failures like leaks into bearing spinning disasters.  Hence the LLY and all subsequent designs.  

The lb7 is an enthusiasts engine, lots of benefits but not for the guy that just wants to hit the key and go for 200k without paying attention. 
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#19]
My Pop bought this one new in '03. It now pulls my camper and my car trailer - I love the truck. If memory serves it got a set of injectors within the first 60k miles or so - GM warrantied them. It's now got 146k on it. I keep the filter changed on it religiously (and actually had to rebuild the filter head just a few months ago). Since it was my Dad's truck, I'll likely keep the thing forever and do whatever is necessary to keep it running. By the way, that's an LS engine in the crate in the bed. It's going into my Vette autocross car project. Which will be pulled by the truck, of course!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Chevy dealer replaced my injectors under warranty about 8 or 9 years ago.I haven't had anymore problems.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fuckin ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fuckin ridiculous.
View Quote

Yeah well first generation anything runs into all sorts of problems. For how cheap the LB7 is, the cost isn't too bad, and considering the rest of the engine and truck is solid, I'd take injectors in a LB7 over a 6.0L fiasco any day.   If you can do the work yourself it's not too bad.

But I'll agree, it was good for GM to resolve the problem (which they did with all future generations).
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done several sets. Go GM on the injectors. I recommend using a GM fuel filter also. If I remember correctly the GM filters are 3 micron and most aftermarket ones are 5+ micron.

Just my experience I've been a diesel tech for 10 years....
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fuckin ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin ridiculous.
You haven't done much bitching about this topic lately...I thought maybe you were over it...
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:12:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah well first generation anything runs into all sorts of problems. For how cheap the LB7 is, the cost isn't too bad, and considering the rest of the engine and truck is solid, I'd take injectors in a LB7 over a 6.0L fiasco any day.   If you can do the work yourself it's not too bad.

But I'll agree, it was good for GM to resolve the problem (which they did with all future generations).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuckin ridiculous.

GM issued a 7 year/200k warranty that covered everything required to replace them all.  I hate that they had the problem but you can't really complain about how they covered it...at least I cant. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:15:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've done several sets. Go GM on the injectors. I recommend using a GM fuel filter also. If I remember correctly the GM filters are 3 micron and most aftermarket ones are 5+ micron.

View Quote
They revised the filter as part of the fix for the injectors. They are now a multistage very tight filter.  ALWAYS go GM on the filter, I usually cut them open when I change them to have a look.  The current GM filter is a good unit. 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You haven't done much bitching about this topic lately...I thought maybe you were over it...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuckin ridiculous.
Hasn't come up. But I have moved on, got a 4Runner now.

That I'm thinking about putting a small diesel in. God help me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:49:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hasn't come up. But I have moved on, got a 4Runner now.

That I'm thinking about putting a small diesel in. God help me.
View Quote
Haha...that'd be cool.  It's a disease...I'll be the first to admit.  Something about oil burners. 

Glad to hear you've "moved on" 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They revised the filter as part of the fix for the injectors. They are now a multistage very tight filter.  ALWAYS go GM on the filter, I usually cut them open when I change them to have a look.  The current GM filter is a good unit. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, GM filter over the CAT filter setup?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both. The lift pumps have their own filters but you retain the stock filter.

So now you have have another filter and pump to change, possibly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Get both. The lift pumps have their own filters but you retain the stock filter.

View Quote

This is why healthy LSes  with Prochargers are the best truck powerplants
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

xd341 is gonna keep busting my balls about it, but I agree.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

C'mon that's how you know I like you!  besides you were like beetlejuice around this place for a while, all I had to do was think your name twice and *poof* there you were.

I'm on board with the healthy LS thing....but prochargers are for nancy boys.  Real men run twins.   well REAL men drive diesels and don't bitch about a few filters....but I digress.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
C'mon that's how you know I like you!  besides you were like beetlejuice around this place for a while, all I had to do was think your name twice and *poof* there you were.

I'm on board with the healthy LS thing....but prochargers are for nancy boys.  Real men run twins.   well REAL men drive diesels and don't bitch about a few filters....but I digress.
View Quote

I'm not sure I want to hook up a 5'er with twins under the hood. Procharger is perfect for a working LS in a truck.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm not sure I want to hook up a 5'er with twins under the hood. Procharger is perfect for a working LS in a truck.
View Quote
If you're hooking up a 5'er with any regularity...a diesel is really the answer.  Even a procharged LS works hard compared to a duramax when actually hauling a serious trailer.  Combine that with the need for an actual heavy duty trans for such tasks...and it's the way to go. 

I've pulled heavy trailers with both and the difference is huge.  I love me some LS goodness, but they are meant for fun not work.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I ran dual cat filters with my lift pump. One in the rear fender well that was a 10 micron? and another that went into the stock duramax filter location. It screwed on with an adapter plate. I believe those were 2 micron.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ran dual cat filters with my lift pump. One in the rear fender well that was a 10 micron? and another that went into the stock duramax filter location. It screwed on with an adapter plate. I believe those were 2 micron.
The CAT filter became a thing when LB7s were eating injectors like Pez.  It was a relatively easy adaptation and readily available and the duramax community was looking for a solution to the injector problem, besides who knows more about diesels than CAT right?  My opinion is more filtering is better, but I think the current GM filter is a solid unit and does a great job. I might add more filter upstream but I wouldn't take the GM filter out of the system.  If you do that you might as well add a lift pump, the duramax fuel system isn't like a gasser, there is no pump in the tank (to die at 90K) the two stage CP3 pulls suction all the way from the tank and then does high pressure delivery to the commons rails.(near 30k PSI)   This is simple and the CP3 (unlike the newer CP4) is a very reliable pump, the downside is that if you add more filtering in the system you add more resistance that the suction side of the CP3 has to overcome.   This *can* lead to fuel starvation to the pressure side of the CP3.  Same thing happens with plugged filters, gelled fuel or an air leak in the fuel lines. Most times the engines doesn't outright die it just gets sluggish, due to less fuel being injected than is commanded.  There is a theory that loss of supply can cause cavitation or something in the fuel system and therefore a lift pump improves injector reliability.  I'm not sure that's true, but I do know that a duramax, especially a tuned duramax is happier with a lift pump.   A lot of the diesel specific lift pumps come with filters integrated on the pump itself so that's a common solution to the filter/lift pump question.  The CAT setup is good, the GM filter is good now, it wasn't as good in the beginning.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm guessing the GM filter is an AC/Delco filter, is that correct?
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Correct. TP3018
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Correct. TP3018
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct. TP3018
Go ahead and order a couple 97779579 and 8 of the 97780144 while you're at it. You'll need them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:41:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Go ahead and order a couple 97779579 and 8 of the 97780144 while you're at it. You'll need them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct. TP3018
  you'd think they'd come all loaded...like a caliper! 

There's the Zia I remember! Haha 
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:53:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you're hooking up a 5'er with any regularity...a diesel is really the answer.  Even a procharged LS works hard compared to a duramax when actually hauling a serious trailer.  Combine that with the need for an actual heavy duty trans for such tasks...and it's the way to go. 

I've pulled heavy trailers with both and the difference is huge.  I love me some LS goodness, but they are meant for fun not work.
View Quote

Meh.  A modern 6.2L L92 with a Procharger will throw down close to 600ft-lbs of twist with a overbuilt and mild valvetrain.  That's substantially more than 7.3's of old.  Really, a new 1500 with the 6.2L and towing package (Large rear, 9.76" over 8.5") gets you 14000lbs towing, which is more than what my LLY was rated for. Having towed pretty heavy (10k or so) with LS'es in both my Escalade and my 2500HD, I've never really felt as if I needed more. Sure, some grades were slow, but overall they stay cool and chug along.  The 4L80e, 6L90e and 8L90e transmissions are plenty enough for pretty much anything under 20k.

The new diesels might pull 30k properly configured but I have no idea what you could possibly load up 30k with unless you move heavy equipment regularly.  My in-laws have an old-as-fuck 40' Keystone toybox that's got three tip-outs, a steel-framed garage, etc. and it just barely crosses14k loaded/wet with ATV's in the back.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Correct. TP3018
View Quote

Thanks for the info xd.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, if you look at the pic of my truck posted earlier you'll see I'm carrying a spare engine in the bed. That should do it, eh?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Meh.  A modern 6.2L L92 with a Procharger will throw down close to 600ft-lbs of twist with a overbuilt and mild valvetrain.  That's substantially more than 7.3's of old.  Really, a new 1500 with the 6.2L and towing package (Large rear, 9.76" over 8.5") gets you 14000lbs towing, which is more than what my LLY was rated for. Having towed pretty heavy (10k or so) with LS'es in both my Escalade and my 2500HD, I've never really felt as if I needed more. Sure, some grades were slow, but overall they stay cool and chug along.  The 4L80e, 6L90e and 8L90e transmissions are plenty enough for pretty much anything under 20k.

The new diesels might pull 30k properly configured but I have no idea what you could possibly load up 30k with unless you move heavy equipment regularly.  My in-laws have an old-as-fuck 40' Keystone toybox that's got three tip-outs, a steel-framed garage, etc. and it just barely crosses14k loaded/wet with ATV's in the back.
View Quote
Your Lilly was rated for more than 14k.(gcwr) Your factory hitch was only rated for 12k. A tuned duramax plops out 4 digit torque, @ 2k rpm. It's just a much less dramatic experience to tow with the right setup.  

I agree the gcwr of the newer trucks is nuts. They physics of the truck didn't change much, the tail can wag that dog hard. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:19:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Hell, if you look at the pic of my truck posted earlier you'll see I'm carrying a spare engine in the bed. That should do it, eh?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Putting LLY heads on them halves the replacement time, since they put the injectors on the outside of the heads.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Putting LLY heads on them halves the replacement time, since they put the injectors on the outside of the heads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, LBY .  I know guys have done it, the voltage driving the injector is different but it apparently doesn't cause a problem, I'd have to do some current research. I haven't followed those projects to see if it works long term. Mechanically it works fine. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 10:28:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes a lift pump is needed with the dual cat filter setup or you will starve the cp3.

Big advantage over the OEM filters are cost. The cat filters are 1/3 or 1/4 the price. If you changing them every 10k it will pay for itself fast.
View Quote

No lift pump needed for the single CAT filter??
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top