Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 11:57:53 AM EDT
I recently bought a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Four door with the 3.4L. It has 159,000 miles on it and runs great without any mechanical issues. I am from the south but I am currently living in an area that experiences regular snow in the winter. Being from Texas, I've never had a need for 4wd outside of going fishing at the beach or certain deep spots on a deer lease. In both cases a friend and a chain and common sense avoidance usually saved me.

This winter in this truck was an experience. I held up okay, but I wasn't expecting our 2012 Camry to be a better option in the snow on pavement, cobblestone, or dirt roads. It makes sense due to weight distribution.

Anyhow, I have no need for 4wd and was hoping that I could get a locking differential. My only experience and understanding of this concept is with older cars 60s-70s era, i.e. Limited slip, sure-grips, positrac. My understanding since I never actually owned one, was just a differential swap or in some cases a rearend swap.

I see there are auto lockers, manual electric or pneumatic types. What is the best, simplest and problem free. Can I do this over the weekend in my driveway?

What are my options with a truck of this type and generation. I can survive without, but I really like this truck and when I get back home, I expect to take it hunting, fishing and camping. It would be nice to have a little added assurance.

Ideally, I would have a locking differential and a winch on the front at most.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
ARB makes a pneumatic locker.  The other option is a Harrop electric locker.  Under no circumstance would I opt for an automatic locker.  Both the ARB and Harrop are select-able.  The ARB requires an on board air compressor which is an extra expense.  Between the two I would go with the Harrop.  

Adding some weight in the bet and having proper winter tires with some chains would probably work better and cost less.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I recently bought a 2002 Tacoma Prerunner Four door with the 3.4L. It has 159,000 miles on it and runs great without any mechanical issues. I am from the south but I am currently living in an area that experiences regular snow in the winter. Being from Texas, I've never had a need for 4wd outside of going fishing at the beach or certain deep spots on a deer lease. In both cases a friend and a chain and common sense avoidance usually saved me.

This winter in this truck was an experience. I held up okay, but I wasn't expecting our 2012 Camry to be a better option in the snow on pavement, cobblestone, or dirt roads. It makes sense due to weight distribution.

Anyhow, I have no need for 4wd and was hoping that I could get a locking differential. My only experience and understanding of this concept is with older cars 60s-70s era, i.e. Limited slip, sure-grips, positrac. My understanding since I never actually owned one, was just a differential swap or in some cases a rearend swap.

I see there are auto lockers, manual electric or pneumatic types. What is the best, simplest and problem free. Can I do this over the weekend in my driveway?

What are my options with a truck of this type and generation. I can survive without, but I really like this truck and when I get back home, I expect to take it hunting, fishing and camping. It would be nice to have a little added assurance.

Ideally, I would have a locking differential and a winch on the front at most.
View Quote

You will not be able to install a selectable locker yourself.
It requires the removal of the ring gear to install the components.

And for snow/ice, lockers are terrible on the road.
When they grab, it will pull your vehicle from side to side.

Best bet is quality tires rated for snow and severe weather....lots of siping on the tire.
And some weight in the bed to gain some traction.

Do some reading...

google results for lockers in snow and ice

Link Posted: 2/26/2017 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The TRD models came with an electric locker from the factory so it may be possible to source the parts from a yard and retrofit it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Cheaper to buy an extra set of wheels and dedicated snow tires. Then in the winter put some weight in the back.

I have a 2wd s10 and had luck just with swapping only the rear wheels out so cheaper yet. Then add some weight.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Toss 8-10 40lb bags of softener salt in your bed over the axle.

When winter is over, use the salt in your water softener.

I did this for 13 years with my Sonoma, never got stuck once.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Detroit trutrac.  All gear limited slip.  They don't wear out.
Anand a set of "all Weather" tires with the Mountain snowflake.  Some bff alterrains have the Mountain snowflake, just watch the speed rating if you are going to use them all year.

If you are set on a locker, the auburn etced has a limited slip and electronic locker in one.  The limited slip is clutch driven and non-rebuildable which sucks.

Seriously on the trutrac though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top