Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 8:23:11 PM EDT
I was playing around with the company's new FLIR cam with my dune buggy after idling for 10min or so and I immediately noticed something interesting. About a 100 degree temperature gradient between the front and rear cylinders on the exhaust for both sides!

It will be interesting to see if the dual carb setup I have coming has an affect on this. If not I'll do some more digging but it's interesting nonetheless.

Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
going to need hotter or colder plugs for the front or rear.  which ever way you want to take it
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#2]
That is most likely due to the single 2-barrel carb and the firing order, happens with dual 1-barrel carbs like the 34 Weber I have on my DD.  The firing order is 1-4-3-2, so the even number cylinders(rear/hot) are fired before the odd number(front/cold).  What happens is the even number cylinder starts to pull air through the carb but not enough for a full charge of fuel so it fires lean if at all.  The next cylinder to fire is the odd number on the same side, and it gets a full charge of fuel from the airflow off the pressure cylinders, fires properly and the process then starts over on the other side of the engine.  Again this is common for VW's and any form of sharing 1 carb barrel between 2 cylinders be it a single 2-barrel and dual 1-barrel carbs but it happens only at idle, as soon as the throttle is cracked the engine runs normally on all 4 cylinders.  Assuming the car is tuned properly, if you go drive it around all the pipes will be at about the same temps.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
going to need hotter or colder plugs for the front or rear.  which ever way you want to take it
View Quote

Spark plug heat range has nothing to do with this issue. This is due to the one cylinder running leaner (hotter) than the other.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top