Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2017 11:18:57 PM EDT
I got bit by the Hemi Bug and I'm getting interested in purchasing a Challenger... And no, I'm not talking about the SXT 6-cylinder model. I got a Honda Accord V6 that covers me in that department.

I'm talking big V-8, HEMI Engined; "I want to hear a roar when I mash on the gas pedal" king of Challenger... Yeah! THat's the one I'm talking about.

I went to the local Dodge dealership in Tucson; Larry H. Miller Dodge, and I browsed the models they had in stock; the first one that caught my eye was the 2016 SRT Hellcat in Plum Crazy... Hoo Boy! That baby had my attention... It was the 6 speed stick-shift model with sunroof and no stripes... It was going to another dealer, damn, she got me good...

Then I read the price tag $64K.

Luckily, i was able to find three 392 Scat Packs on the side and looked at them also, all of them had the 8 speed auto tranny.  It didn't help that when I was heading home, the Phil Collins song "In The Air Tonight" (theme song for their last commercial) just popped in.

(DAT SUPERCHARGER WHINE THO... )

It was a sign...

So... You Challenger owners; show me your cars and your impressions on it. I'm steering towards a Hellcat in Torred or black; or at the least, a 392 R/T Scat Pack in same colors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one, but I do like the Challenger, and if I was going to get one, I'd definitely go with the R/T scat pack. All of the power, none of the extra luxury on the inside.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 11:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up going Corvette but did a shit ton of research on the 392 powered Challengers so here's my take

1. do NOT I repeat do NOT buy a 5.7 powered Challenger as it is SLOW AS FUCK, like 4.6L Mustang slow or 80's 5.0L RS Camaro slow
2. The SRT is throwing money away unless you get a Hellcat
3. instead of a 392 SRT you get the SCAT PACK.  You can get the regular Scat Pack or the Scat Pack shaker (or whateve it's called).  Only main difference is the shaker one of course has the shaker and more standard options
4. You MUST get the performance package
5. Transmission choice is up to you but I'd go with the manual as automatics are boring.  I will say though the auto cars are just as fast if not faster than the manual.  The scat packs run MID 12's!!!! in the 1/4 mile.  So to me the HP rating of 485hp is total bullshit as the car weighs 4100lbs.  As a comparison my Corvette weighs 3200lbs and has 435hp and runs mid 12s also.  With 4000lbs you're gonna need at least 50 more HP to run a time like that which means the 392 is probably a 520ish hp engine.
6. I like red but with a MOPAR you gotta get a wild color like the lime green or purple.  its an extra little "fuck you" to the sea of shit box grey turd wagons on the road.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Scat Pack. The auto may be boring but the A8 that Dodge has is mean and keeps it competitive with the lighter weight Camaro And Mustang (well up until the 6th gen Camaro came out with an A8 and next year's Stang is getting an A10).
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the Scat Pac. Damn thing is fast as hell without the hassle of dealing with the super charger issues that will pop up in a couple of years.
Don't spend a fortune on exhaust. Just do the resonator delete to get the sound you desire.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 9:26:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ended up going Corvette but did a shit ton of research on the 392 powered Challengers so here's my take

1. do NOT I repeat do NOT buy a 5.7 powered Challenger as it is SLOW AS FUCK, like 4.6L Mustang slow or 80's 5.0L RS Camaro slow
2. The SRT is throwing money away unless you get a Hellcat
3. instead of a 392 SRT you get the SCAT PACK.  You can get the regular Scat Pack or the Scat Pack shaker (or whateve it's called).  Only main difference is the shaker one of course has the shaker and more standard options
4. You MUST get the performance package
5. Transmission choice is up to you but I'd go with the manual as automatics are boring.  I will say though the auto cars are just as fast if not faster than the manual.  The scat packs run MID 12's!!!! in the 1/4 mile.  So to me the HP rating of 485hp is total bullshit as the car weighs 4100lbs.  As a comparison my Corvette weighs 3200lbs and has 435hp and runs mid 12s also.  With 4000lbs you're gonna need at least 50 more HP to run a time like that which means the 392 is probably a 520ish hp engine.
6. I like red but with a MOPAR you gotta get a wild color like the lime green or purple.  its an extra little "fuck you" to the sea of shit box grey turd wagons on the road.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/DG016_087CLtg01ev8kkr9se32fehieqe07fr-e1439320425124.jpg
View Quote

Yup he gets it.
Stay away from the shaker hood though if you want to do handling upgrades. The shaker takes your ability to install cross strut braces. They do look amazing though.
Def get plum crazy
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Another one that's new this year is the T/A 392.  I don't know the specifics but it comes standard with the Super Track Pack, the Hellcat's hood and headlight air induction and FUCKING HOOD PINS AWESOME!!!! and appears to be the same price as the Scat Pack.  So may want to add it to your list.

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Another one that's new this year is the T/A 392.  I don't know the specifics but it comes standard with the Super Track Pack, the Hellcat's hood and headlight air induction and FUCKING HOOD PINS AWESOME!!!! and appears to be the same price as the Scat Pack.  So may want to add it to your list.

https://www.netcarshow.com/Dodge-Challenger_TA-2017-ig.jpg
View Quote

Nice; I was doing the math and i find the 392 more affordable and viable for me than the Hellcat. if i do the Scat Pack, I might just go Sublime Lime and done. We'll see once my tax refund comes in and I will decide.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Much more familiar with this hemi

Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the car you want if you plan on driving on the street.

If you want a bracket racer, buy a car that will run in your preferred bracket. And a truck and a trailer to pull all the crap that you need to be a serious racer.

For a street car, who really cares if there is a faster car out there somewhere. There always is.

These days, its very easy to buy way more motor than you will ever be able to match traction with street tires.

A race car isn't really a race car until it wears race rubber. And then its not a street car.

If you are Jay Leno, get both.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I kinda like them, but they are a ticket to the show anyone can buy.  They are everywhere, sometimes on each corner of the intersection.

I will continue to build unique vehicles and at the same time, save them from the crusher. 

Good luck.  Those cars are good parts-cars for building real hot rods.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Get the Scat Pack.  If you get bored with nearly 500hp, add a procharger.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get the Scat Pack.  If you get bored with nearly 500hp, add a procharger.
View Quote

I like how the general consensus is the SP. And normally i'd say get a twin screw or roots but as mentioned earlier, the A8 keeps the big car moving so a procharger wouldn't be all that bad of a choice for all around power.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Although it was a 440 and not the Hemi, my biggest car regret was getting rid of my 70 Charger. Was my first car back in 1984
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:19:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ukXoDIE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6IeUiSL.jpg
View Quote

Yea, that will get you back and fourth to work every day.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/ukXoDIE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6IeUiSL.jpg
View Quote
Don't be alarmed ben, but I think someone mounted a mailbox on that hood.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:44:01 PM EDT
[#16]
If you don't mind leasing, and can get something done by the end of the month (assuming the residuals and MF might change for the worse), there are some crazy deals available on Challenger Hellcats. On 2016's the residuals are 64% for 3yr/30k miles, and 63% for 3yr/36k miles. The money factor is .00002, which is about as close as you can get to 0% without actually being 0%. On top of that, most dealers are taking $4-5k off MSRP, however a bunch of dealers have $8,000+ off, with a few over $10,000 off. 

I picked up a 2016 Challenger Hellcat this weekend with an MSRP of $71,xxx for 0 down and $515 a month for 3yr/36k miles. Only extra fee is a $395 turn-in fee at the end assuming I don't buy it, and I doubt I will purchase it due to the high residual I got upfront. You can already find low mileage 2015 models under 50k, there's one on cars.com right now with only 4,300 miles on it for $48,000. And the ad claims it's CPO. So given what I'm seeing in the used car market for these, I think the 63% residual I got is way higher than what it will be in reality, so I'll most likely just give it back after 3 years.

A Hellcat wasn't even on my radar due to the high price, especially with ADM's the dealers were adding for quite some time, even though I could have "afforded" it. My plan was to buy a CPO 2016 Mustang GT this spring, as my 2014 Focus is slowly killing my will to live and I needed to get something in the garage that was a bit more fun to drive. Once I saw people were getting into the $500's with no money down for Hellcats, I looked into it and found a dealer with a big discount a little under 3 hours from home. 

At this point, I've only got about 200 miles on it, and I haven't used more than 1/2 throttle while breaking it in and getting used to it, and it's fun as all hell. I'm very frugal normally, and I went from lightly browsing at Mustang GTs to bringing this home in less than a week. I think anytime I might start to regret the purchase, like I do with almost anything big, all I need to do is take it around the block, and everything will be better. December-February will suck a bit, but the other months should make up for it.

The other nice part about a lease is that the last time I had a "fun" car, which was an older Mustang GT, I bought it with low miles, and then never wanted to drive it because I wanted to keep it pristine. With this thing being a lease, I don't care about every little scratch, or driving it in less than perfect weather (other than in regards to traction), and I certainly want to use every single one of the 36,000 miles I have available, so I know I'll get my money's worth. Also, my S/O thinks it's obnoxiously loud, which means it's just right for me 
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy a car in Phoenix. Start with Tempe Dodge and then check Scottsdale.

In tucson, you will pay through the ass for tint, pin stripes, bed liner, running boards, paint treatment, and any other bullshit the dealer can use to run you up.  Those Tucson fucks know they will never sell me a vehicle.

YOu can check all the PHX inventory on line, and even have negotiated price emailed to you. Last 4 trucks I bought from Tempe.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]
After flying to Indiana and making the run back to NY after a buddy bought a Hellcat  and comparing it to a Scatpack car get the cat. If you can wait it out a bit you will probably find a deal on a trade in after the Demon comes out. 

Somewhere in OhioAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy a car in Phoenix. Start with Tempe Dodge and then check Scottsdale.

In tucson, you will pay through the ass for tint, pin stripes, bed liner, running boards, paint treatment, and any other bullshit the dealer can use to run you up.  Those Tucson fucks know they will never sell me a vehicle.

YOu can check all the PHX inventory on line, and even have negotiated price emailed to you. Last 4 trucks I bought from Tempe.
View Quote

I drove to Phoenix to buy my current car ('13 Accord EX-L), bought it from Earnhardt Honda. And I will do the same when I do decide to get the Challenger. I'm definoitely steering towards the T/A 392.

I don't think I can afford the 'cat straight out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 2:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a '15 Scat Pack 6-speed manual. It's a freakin' blast to drive. Handles well for a fattie, believe it or not but it requires swapping the crap stock 245 series tires for stickier 275/40/20s.

I think it looks better than my buddies '15 5.0 Mustang, subjective of course. We're both manual trans cars and whoever wins is down to reaction time. They're pretty evenly matched. The Challenger is a bit more comfortable but the Mustang gets a little better mileage.

Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:25:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Guess who is a new Dodge Challenger owner?

2017 Challenger T/A 392 owner to be exact.

Totally blacked out - She's beautiful beyond mere words. Every time I walk into the garage (my '13 Accord is now relegated to the outside), I just smile and go "Daaaamn!"
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:18:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17103430_10158214293880167_3958409886020136647_n.jpg?oh=326a061b3de2555c2fa00de1afddc074&oe=596F91D9

Totally blacked out - She's beautiful beyond mere words. Every time I walk into the garage (my '13 Accord is now relegated to the outside), I just smile and go "Daaaamn!"
View Quote

OP you win the badass of the day award and the "OP surely delivered"award. Nice job. As I have yet to see the TA in person was it the same price as a Scat Pack car and is the main difference s the ones I listed above or is there more to this package?  And where's your hood pins?!!!! ;)
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don't be alarmed ben, but I think someone mounted a mailbox on that hood.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP you win the badass of the day award and the "OP surely delivered"award. Nice job. As I have yet to see the TA in person was it the same price as a Scat Pack car and is the main difference s the ones I listed above or is there more to this package?  And where's your hood pins?!!!! ;)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh; you mean?

Another one that's new this year is the T/A 392. I don't know the specifics but it comes standard with the Super Track Pack, the Hellcat's hood and headlight air induction and FUCKING HOOD PINS AWESOME!!!! and appears to be the same price as the Scat Pack. So may want to add it to your list.

Yeah! I literally took this one off the dealer floor. All the Scat Packs they had were either automatics or in a color i was not interested in. Did the math and decided that the T/A was the best bang for the buck choice; plus i really loved the blacked out look.

Okay; the T/A is about slightly less than the Scat Pack; mine came with the Technology Package and the Alpine Sound system. It comes with the Super Track Pack package from the factory (still trying to figure how to set it all up) and many of the embellishments of the Scat Pack, like the blacked out gas cap, gloss black grille and matte black rear deck spoiler. I chose the one with the fabric seats, mainly because this is Arizona and I don;t want to peel the seats off my back when i sit inside on a hot 100+ degree summer day (already do that with the Accord ); mine also came with the splash mats (anyone want a cheap set of factory rugs, never installed?).

Oh, the pins will come soon enough; I'm making a list of all the Mopar parts i want to add, like the sway bars, hood pins, etc...
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okay; that's Awesomesauce right there, hoss.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://scontent-dft4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17103430_10158214293880167_3958409886020136647_n.jpg?oh=326a061b3de2555c2fa00de1afddc074&oe=596F91D9

View Quote

Awesome! I saw a green T/A on the highway the other day. I saw the prototype at the Iowa State Fair.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Awesome! I saw a green T/A on the highway the other day. I saw the prototype at the Iowa State Fair.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416672/20160816-181659-160434.JPG
View Quote

Yeah; mine is almost exactly like that, except mine is black, it has the 6.4L 392 Hemi V8 and no moonroof (and pins... For now).

The T/A is practically a Scat Pack withouth the Scat Pack badges and embellishments.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get the Scat Pac. Damn thing is fast as hell without the hassle of dealing with the super charger issues that will pop up in a couple of years.
Don't spend a fortune on exhaust. Just do the resonator delete to get the sound you desire.
View Quote

I agree, get the Scat Pack, just don't delete the resonators. What you want to delete are the mid mufflers (and replace them with the aftermarket mufflers of your choice, I have Dynomax Racebullets and love them), the resonators on the Challenger controls the interior drone.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I agree, get the Scat Pack, just don't delete the resonators. What you want to delete are the mid mufflers (and replace them with the aftermarket mufflers of your choice, I have Dynomax Racebullets and love them), the resonators on the Challenger controls the interior drone.
View Quote

Well? The T/A is pretty much like a Scat Pac, minus all the Bee embellishments.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Awesome! My dad got the Scat Pack mid last year and loves it! If I didn't have to have a truck for work I'd be all over the T/A as they have all the right looks. I really prefer the road racer look with the AAR 'cuda style hood. Excellent choice!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice car! Finally one of these threads where the OP comes through big time.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Nice car! Finally one of these threads where the OP comes through big time.
View Quote

I refused to be the "OP Failed To Deliver" guy.

I am actually happy that I got the T/A; definitely was beyond my expectations. I wanted to keep the "Stealthy" look going and added a nice (and expensive) 2-layer US Flag decal, it's made from the same 3M material that police departments use on their stealth units...

The flag appears blacked out, but when light hits it, the reflective black base decal lights up, showing a subdued US flag; I personally thought it was perfect.

Linky.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top