Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:52:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice job OP.

Wish my father hadn't sold his GTX... I was just old enough to remember it. Sat in the back yard for years, didnt know enough at that young age to care.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cholla:
Transmissions are the "mysterious lady parts' of the automotive world. I have almost NO idea how everything works down there.
View Quote

This made me laugh out loud....quote worthy and true!
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Cholla:
I am so impressed with the transmission rebuild. Transmissions are the "mysterious lady parts' of the automotive world. I have almost NO idea how everything works down there.
View Quote

Figuring how and why they work is someone elses job. As long as you don't go off the reservation drilling, modifying or cutting parts willy nilly, they are pretty simple. Even the valve body is simple as long as you put it back together the same way it came out....except for the shift kit mods. But the directions are very good so not hard to get lost.

The main guts are held in by snap rings and need to have a cetain end play to work. Measure, take out old, put in new, measure. If off, use a different washer. I think they are more fun to work on than engines!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally had time to get the valve body back together.  Shift kit requires opening up some holes, change of springs, partitions removed. Not a whole lot to it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By myfakename:
Finally had time to get the valve body back together.  Shift kit requires opening up some holes, change of springs, partitions removed. Not a whole lot to it.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20170303-091212-157937.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/20170303-091246-157938.JPG
View Quote

It looks like you have the proper screwdriver!
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

It looks like you have the proper screwdriver!
View Quote

If it doesn't start with a W, you have the wrong screwdriver
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a chore to get time to work on this but I was finally able to tear the entire case down. Everything looks to be in good shape. A couple small heat marks on a few front friction steels. The rubber seals were all hard and stiff.

As this is a truck transmission, a few bonus goodies included were the 4 pinion planetaries. 4 friction front pack and a 3.8 lever.

I have the front and rear drum assemblies finished, new red altos with kolene steels, new seals. Clearance on each is on the tight end of specs so I am happy.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like it is ready for the road! Very nice, better late than never. Please post up a video when you get her on the street

Is that an original Formuls S 383 car? I sure hope the mice stayed away from your Legendary Interior!!!! They make great seat covers and are well worth the $$$.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice build OP.
I don't know if this has been asked or not but what blast media did you use?
I'm coming to the point where I need to blast my 47 Willys.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:03:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 2T2_Crash:
Nice build OP.
I don't know if this has been asked or not but what blast media did you use?
I'm coming to the point where I need to blast my 47 Willys.
View Quote

My blaster used coal slag media, like the Black Diamond stuff you find in Tractor Supply. As long as they know what they are doing and keep the gun moving it works fine.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 7:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Servos and band actuator levers re-installed .  These are billet pieces that can withstand greater fluid pressures. My pressure is going to be a bit higher because of the shift kit.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Overrun clutch (sprag) pieces re-installed as well
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Output shaft, planetaries, and fricton housings all in place. I am still waiting on my solid kickdown band and 5800rpm governor so I cannot do much more. Most of the bushings were in good shape but I did add a few thicker select washers to tighten the end play.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Haha Transmissions are magical lol.

Nice work!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Transmission is finished. Air tested the servos and clutch packs, everything good! End play is close to minimum spec at .042"

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 12:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#18]
Got my cam degreed in. I used a Summit double roller billet timing set with 2* adjustments.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Rebuilt the oil pump with a Melling rebuild kit, got the timing cover on, oil pump and the new aluminum water pump is bolted up (no gaskets yet as i was determining if I needed longer bolts anywhere).
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Love that you're doing so much of it yourself. Great job.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NorthBridge:
Love that you're doing so much of it yourself. Great job.
View Quote
Thanks. Most of the stuff is easy but tedious. If I do it myself, I know who to blame if something goes wrong. And I learn how everything is suppose to work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Ordered the heads today, 440Source Stealth heads. I'll have my machine shop check the surface and valve seats as well as set up the open and closed spring pressures with the correct springs. I will port match the intake and that will be about it for now.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Ordered the heads today, 440Source Stealth heads. I'll have my machine shop check the surface and valve seats as well as set up the open and closed spring pressures with the correct springs. I will port match the intake and that will be about it for now.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/2001055a-171677.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/stealth2-171679.JPG

Link
View Quote
Same ones I have.

Make sure you use the longer plugs (see the FAQ).
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice job OP.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Andrapos:
Nice!  what will you be running for an intake/fuel, or did I miss it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/2001055a-171677.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/96423/stealth2-171679.JPG

Link
Nice!  what will you be running for an intake/fuel, or did I miss it?
I believe I am going to run a Holley Street Dominator intake (Edelbrock RPM just sits too tall) and I am leaning toward an 850cfm carburetor. I haven't decided which one yet, mechanical or vacuum. Been looking around at Holley 850 DP carbs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Nice work

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:00:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Very nice 68!!!  I was so close to painting my GTX Sunfire Yellow because I love using single stage paint.
Here is my 68 from when I was in high school, non R/T but I added the stripe.  Paid a cool $1000 for her, 383 H code, 3.91 8 3/4 sure grip...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Received my heads today, they look great.  Deck looks flat compared with a straight edge.  I will clean up a couple of the bowl transitions as there are a few sharp turns and will gasket match.  I may polish out the exhaust ports as well.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm no RB head expert but the casting flash and texture is very minimal. Chambers look nice, seats may be a bit proud but I plan to have a valve job done on them. Sticking my fingers in the exhaust ports I felt a few sharp edges where the plunge cut for the valve was made and should be easy to clean up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:29:57 AM EDT
[#31]
That's pure sex!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:48:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#32]
Scrolled through and left a couple pics out. Tail panel and light housings. These are one year only parts and nos is like gold. Repops aren't far behind. I'm rocking these as is with pits for the time beign until I win the lottery.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Fender mounted turn signals and side view mirror put in as well as quarter emblems...
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:51:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Aluminum water pump housing with Summit high flow pump.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Coming along great.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Looking good . You are getting close
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Holley Street Dominator intake arrived along with my valve spring compressor tool. So I will start removing valves to get access to the ports, and once they are cleaned up the heads go to the machine shop for valve job. I'll have the machine shop install the valves with outer spring only for break-in. I should have my new springs and locks in tomorrow. There is a lot of work that goes into the top end!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:26:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#39]
Got the heads apart and measured the installed height for my springs (1.880")
Attachment Attached File

Port work and carbide cutters
View Quote
Here ya go.  Blending the bowl to the seat.  A lot of mismatched areas and sharp transitions.  All I am doing is blending the port into the seat for a smooth transition.  I will clean up with sandpaper rolls but will keep some texture in the intake ports.

Before:
Attachment Attached File

After:
Attachment Attached File

Before:
Attachment Attached File

After:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Epic restoration! Thanks for sharing OP.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:37:26 PM EDT
[#41]
A few shots of the cleanup. I sanded the short turn with some sticky backed sandpaper on my finger as I didn't want to alter the shape, only smooth it. Exhaust ports are pretty well cleaned up. The valve guide bosses are pretty good, much better than stock so I will probably not mess with them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Cleaned up the heads, adjusted some of the valve spring heights and installed the break in springs.  I also test fit the rocker arms so I can measure for push rods.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Sweet thread. Very inspirational to say the least. Thanks for taking the time to keep it updated. 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#44]
You do fantastic work!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the kind words. The journey to the finish line is the fun part....until I get to drive it!

Valvetrain geometry... rocker needs to be centered on the valve tip, adjuster set correctly, then pushrods can be ordered.....then check valve / piston clearance, check pushrod clearance....then you can bolt it down after checking everything again lol.

Here is the valve swipe. I'm waiting on my $172 Cometic head gaskets. Reason for the sporty gaskets is because they are the only game in town that makes a .030" thick HG. That puts me at 10.3cr and a .039" quench. Notice I have single springs on the head. These are for break-in only. This cam requires 155# on the seat and 430# at .550" and there is a possibility of wiping a lobe if full pressure spring is used during break-in.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:10:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1969GTX] [#46]
Headgaskets are in, valve heights are done. I ended up buying thinner spring seats to get the installed heights dialed in. Going to order pushrods tomorrow after double checking measurements. BTW, did you know a beer can is .005" thick?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#48]
This might seem like a stupid question, but are the valve reliefs in your pistons the same size for intake/exhaust?  

I've seen what happens when a shop accidentally installs 2 pistons in the wrong holes and the intake valve doesn't fit in the exhaust relief on top of the piston
View Quote
They are symmetrical, same cut on all of them. As long as they are on the correct bank and not turned 180 degrees out they will be good. Thanks for mentioning it though because you never know...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Happy Easter! Pushrods are ordered and should be here this week which is what the holdup is. In the meantime I got my oil pan and pickup. 6 quart job, and I modified the pickup for better volume. As measured, the stock holes offered 1.07" of area so I opened them up and more than doubled the area. I am also installing a windage tray so I am waiting on the other oil pan gasket.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:45:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I got the pushrods so I pulled the heads and applied clay to the valve reliefs to check valve relief. Got everything buttoned back up and tomorrow I will spin it over to set lash and check the relief before putting it together for good. Pushrods were made to spec by Smith Brothers and they are pretty damn good.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top