BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Clearly you've never seen a Touratech catalog.

Congrats, OP, now ride the shit out of that thing! You should come over and join me & my buds @ the Romney Adventure rally in the spring...not far from you at all, and great riding.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, I texted them back to back and the winner is...
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/canoeguy/6F379B89-174F-4E69-BCFC-F81BB586017A.jpg

Looks like it is time to start covering that thing in stickers.  Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of farkles left off of this beast.

Clearly you've never seen a Touratech catalog.

Congrats, OP, now ride the shit out of that thing! You should come over and join me & my buds @ the Romney Adventure rally in the spring...not far from you at all, and great riding.

He cant see the catalogue, its on back order
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Sooner or later I am going to get a set of Wolfman Rocky Mountain soft bags. But for around town and travel in less secure areas I like hard panniers. I will be adding them quite soon and some barkbusters and some bar risers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote

He can borrow mine, I use it as wheel chock on the 18 wheeler.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, it is good to stick under the rear wheel when getting a loaded GS on the center stand
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice choice. SW-Motech panniers look pretty solid for the money. I would imagine there is an adapter for the racks. I know the factory BMW cases on my buddies are made by Touratech...and YES, you need that catalog
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

and YES, you need that catalog
View Quote

Yup, don't get caught out there without your toilet paper dispenser.

https://shop.touratech.com/t-pack-incl-toilet-paper-yellow-black-by-touratech-waterproof.html
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
V-Strom 1000 too much for a beginner? Might go look this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's a tall, heavy bike...a lot of motorcycle if you're truly inexperienced. Not to say you can't learn on one, but the goal of a new rider should be getting proficient and safe and quickly and painlessly as possible. I'd for damned sure never tell a new rider to go for a 550lb, high COG bike for his first scoot.

Buy a few year old dual sport like a DRZ400, ride the piss out of it, make all your mistakes on a light, agile, cheap to buy/insure bike that's meant to fall over. It'll be fun as hell, you'll learn faster and with more confidence, and those skills will translate upwards much much faster than waddling around on a Vstrom fearing an expensive drop.

You'll probably even find (like I did) that having a DL1k and a lighter dual sport is the perfect combination and you'll never want to get rid of the smaller bike. And, if you do? It'll be worth close to what you bought it for. You will have gained a lot of experience nearly for free.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
SCHWING!
Nice bike.
My last was a 2000 R1100RT. Love the boxers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't think so necessarily. It is always probably best to start on something really small like a 250 but honestly I didn't  and I bet most don't. I think part of it comes down to you as an individual. I took to riding with an understanding that there are skills that can be learned and improved on. I also am the guy who has never done a wheelie and always rides responsibly.

The Vstrom is a well loved bike. It has a respectable amount of power which though it isn't a sport bike it can still get you in trouble. The seat height is not too high for an adv style bike.

Maybe a better first bike would be the wee-strom but a 1000 V-strom is probably a better first bike than say a CBR 600. And of course there is always the possibility you might have some parking lot drops as you learn, though again, I don't think many do. Just my opinions.

ETA: Swingset does make a good point about the high center of gravity. Though like I said 33" seat height could be worse. Many adv bikes are around 35"
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll just echo what swingset and canoeguy said. I had been riding for close to 40 years before I got the V-Strom 1000. I've owned a LOT of bikes over the years, fast bikes, HD's and scads of off-road bikes...
A DRZ 400 would be a great starter bike. I think even the wee-strom would be good too, just make sure you put the crash bars on it

After riding a friends 2016 wee, I can say it's a great bike. I can use every bit of power it makes, riding in the Ozarks...I can't use all the power of the 1000, however, it's handy when passing logging trucks
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:43:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I learned to ride on a 1900 Yamaha Roadliner that a neighbor had.  Then "started" on a 500 Honda and worked up to a couple 650s (KLR & Versys..still one of my favorite bikes).  Next one will likely be the F800GS and/or a Thruxton 900.  I will say, that 500 Honda had all I needed at the time and allowed me to learn to ride out over my feet and really understand motorcycle physics, if you will.  I didn't go that route on purpose but because the 500 was all I had available to me at the time and I'm glad I did it.  I've learned a lot from every bike I've owned, regardless of size.  

Take the lessons to heart and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Next one will likely be the F800GS and/or a Thruxton 900.
View Quote

I just traded a very well sorted Thruxton in on this GS. I wanted a Thruxton for a long time. Then I got it and it sat as I always chose other bikes. Why? Well it is fun for messing around on once in awhile but for everyday riding it just didn't fit the bill. And it was not very comfortable.

I sat on an F800 yesterday and it seems like a very nice bike that is more congruent for someone who rides a lot.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I just traded a very well sorted Thruxton in on this GS. I wanted a Thruxton for a long time. Then I got it and it sat as I always chose other bikes. Why? Well it is fun for messing around on once in awhile but for everyday riding it just didn't fit the bill. And it was not very comfortable.

I sat on an F800 yesterday and it seems like a very nice bike that is more congruent for someone who rides a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Next one will likely be the F800GS and/or a Thruxton 900.

I agree on all points.  There was a year where I only put 100 miles on my car; living in Arizona helps with year-round riding, and the cold and super hot doesn't stop me.  That said, it'd be nice to have a cafe bike for evenings dicking around town and don't want to look like a mountain man rolling up.  I can ride my duals all day and night without so much as a gripe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Well, I tested them back to back and the winner is...
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/canoeguy/6F379B89-174F-4E69-BCFC-F81BB586017A.jpg
View Quote

The dealer sold you worn out tires? They're so smooth

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:04:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sooner or later I am going to get a set of Wolfman Rocky Mountain soft bags. But for around town and travel in less secure areas I like hard panniers. I will be adding them quite soon and some barkbusters and some bar risers.
View Quote

Don't get the BMW panniers, hate mine and you can unlock them with a screw driver
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am a BMW rider.  I get it.  My own bike is a F6590GS, which isn't the monster that the big GS is.  And I know that there is "something" about BMW bikes....

With that said, go take a long hard look at the Suzuki Vstrom 1000.  The newer models are fantastic bikes.  If you are looking at an everyday rider, this bike is really impressive.  Its 97% of the BMW, for half the money...

For what its worth, I love my F650.  But when it dies, I'm replacing it with the WeeStrom.  Again, very nearly all the same performance for half the bucks.

View Quote
Love my Vstrom been riding since 2006 with  over 50 thousand miles on it! its a beast.  My riding buddy has a KTM 950 Adventure bike.  We have made a couple 3k+ trips on them.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know right? What's worse is they still make as much noise as if they were knobbies.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I know right? What's worse is they still make as much noise as if they were knobbies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My GSA is supper sensitive to speed.  Noisy as hell on a road until you get to about 60 then it get's really quite and stays that way up to...highway speed

But who gets one for the road

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
  It's a tall, heavy bike...a lot of motorcycle if you're truly inexperienced. Not to say you can't learn on one, but the goal of a new rider should be getting proficient and safe and quickly and painlessly as possible. I'd for damned sure never tell a new rider to go for a 550lb, high COG bike for his first scoot.
Buy a few year old dual sport like a DRZ400, ride the piss out of it, make all your mistakes on a light, agile, cheap to buy/insure bike that's meant to fall over. It'll be fun as hell, you'll learn faster and with more confidence, and those skills will translate upwards much much faster than waddling around on a Vstrom fearing an expensive drop.
You'll probably even find (like I did) that having a DL1k and a lighter dual sport is the perfect combination and you'll never want to get rid of the smaller bike. And, if you do? It'll be worth close to what you bought it for. You will have gained a lot of experience nearly for free.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Completely agree.  Start on a dual sport.  Buy the big bike you want, and you still have a dual sport too.  Get both.

To the OP - congrats on the GS, it looks great!  Now go pick a continent to ride around.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top