Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2016 7:54:03 PM EDT
I am about a hair away from pulling the trigger on a GSA. It is the most I have ever paid for a bike and I am all over the place.

Which I really silly as I ride a bike everyday and all year.

But feel free to talk me out of it, though I am sure most of you will do the opposite. I can live with that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I came really close to buying one this past month, and had to have a come-to-Jesus with myself about the reality of it.  Frankly it came down to the fact that there is very little reason to buy a new bike, unless you just want a new bike and it is very financially feasible to do so.  You're going to be upside down on it for a little bit, especially if you're racking up mad miles as a daily rider.  

Are you doing the BMW financing option?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
They are amazingly capable bikes, with a price to match.  I'd get a used one for half.

Or, the F800gs or a Tiger 800
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I came really close to buying one this past month, and had to have a come-to-Jesus with myself about the reality of it.  Frankly it came down to the fact that there is very little reason to buy a new bike, unless you just want a new bike and it is very financially feasible to do so.  You're going to be upside down on it for a little bit, especially if you're racking up mad miles as a daily rider.  

Are you doing the BMW financing option?
View Quote

No. I am going to take the markdowns they have.$1200 off plus the rest of the deals I have been talking to them about
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They are amazingly capable bikes, with a price to match.  I'd get a used one for half.

Or, the F800gs or a Tiger 800
View Quote

I am on the fence for a Tiger 800XCA. I had a 2012 Tiger I loved and if I still had it I wouldn't be bike shopping.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I can't really talk you out of it.  They'll run forever, are remarkably capable, and look great, too.  I say go headfirst and get dirty.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:25:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I have wanted one since watching the Long Way series.  But I would give the Honda CrossTourer a very close look to see if ticks all of the check boxes that the GS meets.

http://powersports.honda.com/2016/vfr1200x.aspx
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy once, cry once.

Have you looked at the KTM Adventure bikes?

I say go for it.  ;-)
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I am a BMW rider.  I get it.  My own bike is a F6590GS, which isn't the monster that the big GS is.  And I know that there is "something" about BMW bikes....

With that said, go take a long hard look at the Suzuki Vstrom 1000.  The newer models are fantastic bikes.  If you are looking at an everyday rider, this bike is really impressive.  Its 97% of the BMW, for half the money...

For what its worth, I love my F650.  But when it dies, I'm replacing it with the WeeStrom.  Again, very nearly all the same performance for half the bucks.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Also look at the Honda Africa Twin.
https://powersports.honda.com/africatwin.aspx

very nice and 5000 less than the GS.

TYCOM

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
They're good bikes, but I wouldn't buy a GS unless multi-state adventure riding was my thing, and I did it often.

It's an excellent bike for that, but there are better choices otherwise. Heavy as fuck, expensive, expensive aftermarket. Did I mention heavy as fuck? 600lbs is a load, even tho it's graceful for an elephant, it's still a load of a bike.

I'd look at the MultiStrada if you've got GS money, or the KTM 1190, especially if you're not looking to hump a bunch of gear 2,000 miles.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Fantastic bikes. They created the class and lead the class for a reason.

I'd have no hesitations about buying one if you have the money to do so.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They're good bikes, but I wouldn't buy a GS unless multi-state adventure riding was my thing, and I did it often.

It's an excellent bike for that, but there are better choices otherwise. Heavy as fuck, expensive, expensive aftermarket. Did I mention heavy as fuck? 600lbs is a load, even tho it's graceful for an elephant, it's still a load of a bike.

I'd look at the MultiStrada if you've got GS money, or the KTM 1190, especially if you're not looking to hump a bunch of gear 2,000 miles.

View Quote

Multi-state, multi-country, everyday riding all year. But if it is going to be too rough like the TAT I am hoping to ride next year it is going to be one of your favorite bikes, my well farkled and resprung KLR.

I think it is going to be the GS or the Tiger XCA. Those are the ones that do it for me. I will be heading to Salem on Tuesday to deal. A 3.5 hour drive but that's life in the sticks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Multi-state, multi-country, everyday riding all year. But if it is going to be too rough like the TAT I am hoping to ride next year it is going to be one of your favorite bikes, my well farkled and resprung KLR.

I think it is going to be the GS or the Tiger XCA. Those are the ones that do it for me. I will be heading to Salem on Tuesday to deal. A 3.5 hour drive but that's life in the sticks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The GS is more than capable for the eastern portion of the TAT, but some of the rockies sections are more than I could do on it, and I'm a decent big-bike rider. Even a KLR is a handful on some of the sections.

I've ridden quite a few GS's and GSA's (my best friend has one right now), I do think very highly of them....they're so smooth and super capable for what they are. For touring, I don't know of a better bike. They're easy to work on for your regular maintenance, make good power, handle like a dream and are comfy as hell.

Just depends on your ride, like all things.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am about a hair away from pulling the trigger on a GSA. It is the most I have ever paid for a bike and I am all over the place.

Which I really silly as I ride a bike everyday and all year.

But feel free to talk me out of it, though I am sure most of you will do the opposite. I can live with that.
View Quote

Are there more than one BMW dealer in your area?
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
No dealers anywhere around at all. I am going to Frontline Eurosports in Salem, VA. I was up looking last weekend but Tuesday I will be riding the GS and XCA back to back. We shall see. I mean, I am no fool I have been bitten by the new bike bug as I just totaled one of my other bikes, but I am trying not to jump the gun.

The GSA is ridiculously packed with amazing tech and features. But the XCA isn't too far behind with traction control, heated grips and seats, and ride modes. The GSA is massive compared to the Tiger but everyone says it rides like a much smaller bike and handles amazingly well.

I have briefly considered all of the others you guys have named. But they just don't do it for me. Except maybe the KTMs. They are Damn sexy. But I am again nowhere near a dealer and there aren't as many. I do my own maintenance but still bikes have warranties for a reason. Plus I read many big trip reports and it seems like the KTMs fare a little worse. However, a 690 with a rally raid kit is pure sex.

I have said it before and I will say it again, there are just too many great choices for bikes out there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#17]
They are good bikes, but that's a lot of $ for a bike.  You may want to consider used.

As swingset had mentioned above, they are heavy, especially in the dirt or trail.

A few years ago, I would say yeah, go ahead. I love BMW machinery.  

But after spending time lately on my V-Strom 650.  I have to re-evaulate the BMW machinery.  Don't get me wrong, I still love them, I have 2 BMWs bikes in the garage, One Airhead and one oil head.  

but for the money,  I'm not quite so sure anymore.

It really depends on what you want to do with the bike.  For more Touring oriented and less dirt.  the BMW or the Yamaha Tenere are good bets.  the Tenere is going to be more reliable and less maintenance You can actually buy a new 2015 Yam Tenere left over between 10k and 11k.

For more Dirt oriented and little less touring, Take a look at the Honda Africa Twin or the KTMs.

the Suz V-Strom 1000 are more road and touring oriented and less dirt and they also priced very well for a left over 2015.  I hear people buying them between 8 and 9k.

Another thing to consider is dealer network. If you are touring and you are middle of no where and your bike breaks down.  which dealer will likely be closest?  I would bet money it will likely be the Japanese bikes vs. the German bikes.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#18]
You dun f'd up.

NEVER go to the BMW motorcycle store.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I inherited my pops GS1200. Freaking love it, and while I appreciate that it's very capable, (it is.  Really)  it's still not a dirt bike.

She's a big, interstate consuming bitch, and she can get you a lot of places a lot of bikes can't, but there are limitations when dealing with 500 lbs...
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are there more than one BMW dealer in your area?
View Quote

If you have time this weekend, check out Morton's BMW of Fredericksbury.  In fact they are having their Octoberfest festival this saturday between 9am to 4pm and some special pricing.  You definetly want to stop by if you have time.  You can get free demo rides on BMWs.

It's a little bit far from you about 3.5 hours but certain doable especially when they have Octoberfest on Sat and free food if you get their early.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I am in Pennington gap, Virginia. Way down where Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee all meet. Quite a ways from Fredricksburg I am afraid.

Some of you guys are really pissing on my BMW parade. Like I said though, no money has changed hands yet. I am absolutely test riding first.

Any opinions on the telelever vs conventional suspension?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:58:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been thinking of selling my Victory and replacing it with a GS If I am going to have a land barge it might as well be more capable. I really do wish I could go ride all of them. GS, Vstrom, Tenere, KTM. Since I have never really had anything like them it is hard to know how they would be.

Quoted:
They are good bikes, but that's a lot of $ for a bike.  You may want to consider used.

As swingset had mentioned above, they are heavy, especially in the dirt or trail.

But after spending time lately on my V-Strom 650.  I have to re-evaulate the BMW machinery.  Don't get me wrong, I still love them, I have 2 BMWs bikes in the garage, One Airhead and one oil head.  

It really depends on what you want to do with the bike.  For more Touring oriented and less dirt.  the BMW or the Yamaha Tenere are good bets.  the Tenere is going to be more reliable and less maintenance You can actually buy a new 2015 Yam Tenere left over between 10k and 11k.

For more Dirt oriented and little less touring, Take a look at the Honda Africa Twin or the KTMs.

the Suz V-Strom 1000 are more road and touring oriented and less dirt and they also priced very well for a left over 2015.  I hear people buying them between 8 and 9k.

Another thing to consider is dealer network. If you are touring and you are middle of no where and your bike breaks down.  which dealer will likely be closest?  I would bet money it will likely be the Japanese bikes vs. the German bikes.
View Quote

That seems like a steal. I really like the looks of their Adventure model and they have a new XT so it will be interesting to see what it is.

Glad to see the adventure market growing. As I have said before I really wish the Japanese would attack the the 650 class adventurer/dual sports. Something to give the KTM690 a run for its money.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I was on the fence and looked at a few different bikes.  Ended up with a used 1200 and I've never looked back.

All the negatives have been covered....initial cost, weight of the pig, ongoing BMW costs, etc.

All the positives as well...rides like a dream, easy to do routine maintenance, quality build and extras, rides like dream, :)

I'd replace mine with another without hesitation.  

After I bought mine, I took it to the local garage that works specifically on BMWs and paid him to tear the bike down and we put it back together.  One of the best investments of time and money I could make in the bike. I was so impressed with the precision and care of the bike's design after that.

Hope this helps!
Rhino
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#24]
You know what to do.
<---------
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have been thinking of selling my Victory and replacing it with a GS If I am going to have a land barge it might as well be more capable. I really do wish I could go ride all of them. GS, Vstrom, Tenere, KTM. Since I have never really had anything like them it is hard to know how they would be.

That seems like a steal. I really like the looks of their Adventure model and they have a new XT so it will be interesting to see what it is.

Glad to see the adventure market growing. As I have said before I really wish the Japanese would attack the the 650 class adventurer/dual sports. Something to give the KTM690 a run for its money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks like Yamaha is working on a Tenere based on the FZ700 engine.  That may be exactly what you were asking for.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It looks like Yamaha is working on a Tenere based on the FZ700 engine.  That may be exactly what you were asking for.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They already had a 660 but for some reason wouldn't bring it to the states. I would have bought one in a millisecond.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Wow, that 660 looks good. Of course we didn't get it here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#28]
No sooner do we discuss it here than my BMW dealer wakes me up with a phone call about an F800GS they just took on trade.  I've been kicking around between that and the 1200GS, and frankly believe the 800 will fit my riding much better.  I've bought and sold all kinds of bikes, and enjoyed damn near every one I've had.  That said, when I get another dual, it'll be a BMW or Tiger Explorer.  If you have the bread to put on one, I say go for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I was so close to buying a R1200GSA last year as my DD and weekend warrior bike for trips but decided against it. For me, I absolutely love the bike and everything about it but it would be more of a pain than enjoyment for my commute. Im 5'9" 175 and it would have just been to much of a pain for traffic and the daily commute that I do. I looked at the Tiger 800s and it felt way to much like a taller and heavier KLR650 for me to consider it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#30]
If it were me I would take a look at the Honda Africa Twin or the KTM 1090/1190/1290. You could buy the Honda AT and have enough money left over to by a real dirt bike.

I haven't heard anything real positive about the Triumph. Head on over to adrider.com and read up on the bike you are interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWGJO3MD2U

Currently I'm on a KTM 990A.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If it were me I would take a look at the Honda Africa Twin or the KTM 1090/1190/1290. You could buy the Honda AT and have enough money left over to by a real dirt bike.

I haven't heard anything real positive about the Triumph. Head on over to adrider.com and read up on the bike you are interested in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRWGJO3MD2U

Currently I'm on a KTM 990A.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mleaky/media/DSC03926_zpsfbd2b7d6.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/mleaky/DSC03926_zpsfbd2b7d6.jpg</a>
View Quote

I am very active on advrider. I have never read a negative review on the Tiger personally. In fact it seems really well liked even more now that they have an updated electronics package.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#32]
They are awesome bikes........want one myself.

Although if I do end up on a bike, it's likely going to be a Vstrom 1000 or the Yahama SuperT due to $.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They already had a 660 but for some reason wouldn't bring it to the states. I would have bought one in a millisecond.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20C/Yamaha%20XT660%20Tenere%2008%20%203.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20C/Yamaha%20XT660%20Tenere%2008%20%203.jpg

Me too. I'm worried that most of the bikes are more in the Vstrom type category as opposed to 690/klr/dr etc
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Me too. I'm worried that most of the bikes are more in the Vstrom type category as opposed to 690/klr/dr etc
View Quote

I was going to comment that it reminds me of a modernized KLR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I spent yesterday all over the place riding with a buddy and his 2009 GSA. There really isn't much comparison in the bikes, in my opinion. The BMW feels more solid and the telelever front suspension is awesome. It's also like the Exxon Valdez when it comes to fuel capacity...

Is either one "good" off-road? Hell no, they're both 500+ lb. bikes. Are they both capable? With the right mods, anything will work, to a point...It's all rider after the 500 lb mark.
In the twisties, the V-Strom seems to turn in a little better, that may just be me, I'm not going to push my buddy's bike as hard as I'll push mine.

They're both plenty quick for what they are. Torque is great on both, it's just different...The BMW doesn't need as much farkling as a V-Strom, for sure, but the shit you can get for the BMW is endless.

I've logged several miles on his, as well as about 5k my 14 V-Strom so far. I like the V-Strom, no buyers remorse at all...Will I likely get a GS Adventure one day? Probably, it did set the standard for adventure touring, after all

ETA-I think where I was going with that was, all the bikes, Tenere', V-Strom, GS, Tiger, KTM....They're all GREAT bikes. Just different.

From yesterday...

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, the truth is, they're all great bikes in this class...it's just personal preference. I'm on my third Vstrom and except for ground clearance, I can't fault these machines in any way....just perfect for the riding I love doing. 650, 1000, V8 Supercharger, it makes no diff....I love them all.

Some pics of this weekend's adventure...(all three gens of Vstrom):

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:30:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Today is the day. Getting ready to head out. This afternoon I will likely have a svelte Tiger 800 or huge GS.. wish me luck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:42:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Today is the day. Getting ready to head out. This afternoon I will likely have a svelte Tiger 800 or huge GS.. wish me luck.
View Quote

Well, where are the pictures?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the morning. Just got home.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:56:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Tomorrow? HOW DARE YOU!!!!!

Which one did you get?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:04:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Well, I tested them back to back and the winner is...
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, I texted them back to back and the winner is...
http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/canoeguy/6F379B89-174F-4E69-BCFC-F81BB586017A.jpg
View Quote

Looks like it is time to start covering that thing in stickers.  Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of farkles left off of this beast.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Well it is fully loaded with the Premium Package but the BMW panniers were ridiculously priced. That and better hand guards will likely fulfill my needs for now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Looks like it is time to start covering that thing in stickers.  Doesn't look like there is a whole lot of farkles left off of this beast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I texted them back to back and the winner is...

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae91/canoeguy/6F379B89-174F-4E69-BCFC-F81BB586017A.jpg

Clearly you've never seen a Touratech catalog.

Congrats, OP, now ride the shit out of that thing! You should come over and join me & my buds @ the Romney Adventure rally in the spring...not far from you at all, and great riding.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Well it is fully loaded with the Premium Package but the BMW panniers were ridiculously priced. That and better hand guards will likely fulfill my needs for now.
View Quote

Motomachines.com has some cheaper panniers.  But you will probably need to change out your mounts.  You could save some money by going with soft luggage if you are not planning on doing a bunch of long distance touring for a while.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Sick!  Gotta have the panns though.  Nice buy
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Motomachines.com has some cheaper panniers.  But you will probably need to change out your mounts.  You could save some money by going with soft luggage if you are not planning on doing a bunch of long distance touring for a while.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quite a few pannier options for the factory racks, all price ranges. Soft luggage has its advantages, for sure.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice bike! Congrats...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top