Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/12/2016 8:54:12 AM EDT
I may have the opportunity to buy a 2003 Chevy Tahoe that was sent to Lingenfelter for their supercharger package. A guy that I work with has it and is over the novelty of it and looking to move on. I saw it and drove it years ago when he first got it, and it's impressive...to say the least.
I know it's supercharged, has headers, suspension work, and a beefier transmission from Lingenfelter. He has the "build sheet" on it with the specs of the work that was done by them.
Again, it's an 03 LT package with 4WD, leather, etc...with 60K miles on it, and I can probably pick it up for around $5K.
He's a pretty responsible guy and takes care of his stuff. I know it's been driven hard upon occasion, but he hasn't beaten on it, he changed the fluids regularly and maintained it pretty well.
It would be a toy/fun second car for me, not a daily driver...any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an 04 Tahoe before I traded up to my avalanche. I really miss my tahoe honestly but I needed a truck bed occasionally. I'd be all over it for 5k. That package cost more than that alone. I'd say that's easily a 10-15k vehicle.

Edit: Just pulled up Lingenfelter's site and just the supercharger package in 10k... Yikes
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#2]
For 5K I'd be all over that.
Sleeper ftw.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
With only 60k miles it's a good deal even without the upgrades. I'd be all over that, i'm surprised he's selling it so cheap.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For 5K I'd be all over that.
Sleeper ftw.
View Quote

Yup, in a ny minute.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I had an 04 Tahoe before I traded up to my avalanche. I really miss my tahoe honestly but I needed a truck bed occasionally. I'd be all over it for 5k. That package cost more than that alone. I'd say that's easily a 10-15k vehicle.

Edit: Just pulled up Lingenfelter's site and just the supercharger package in 10k... Yikes
View Quote

Funny, I had an 03 Tahoe years ago that I traded for an Avalanche.
I have a full-size truck now and a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so this really would just be a toy...and I'd probably sell the Cherokee if I get the Tahoe. It's just me and the two dogs, so I really don't need 3 vehicles.
I looked on their website and saw the cost of the package and what all is included for that price...and I just don't see any down-side to getting it. At it's core, it's still a loaded 03 Tahoe 4WD with 60K miles on it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it and PP
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got an 05 with 198k the only issues I have are rust which has now kiled it from getting an  inspection. I'd say as long as there's light to no rust...fo... I definitely would sht if I had 5k I'd come down and get it if you didn't want it
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With only 60k miles it's a good deal even without the upgrades. I'd be all over that, i'm surprised he's selling it so cheap.
View Quote

That's what I was thinking...He's "been trying to sell it" for years. He hasn't listed it or actively tried, really...he just tells people he's going to sell it, and that's where we are.
I asked him the other day if I showed up at his house with a car dolly and $7K if I could take it home, and he said "You could take it for a hell of a lot less than that." So, I'm guesstimationg about the price, but it would be in that ballpark.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got an 05 with 198k the only issues I have are rust which has now kiled it from getting an  inspection. I'd say as long as there's light to no rust...fo... I definitely would sht if I had 5k I'd come down and get it if you didn't want it
View Quote

It's a NC vehicle, so no salt = no rust, thankfully.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking...He's "been trying to sell it" for years. He hasn't listed it or actively tried, really...he just tells people he's going to sell it, and that's where we are.
I asked him the other day if I showed up at his house with a car dolly and $7K if I could take it home, and he said "You could take it for a hell of a lot less than that." So, I'm guesstimationg about the price, but it would be in that ballpark.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even $7k for a clean, rust free Tahoe with such low miles is good deal in today's market.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd totally rock that.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 11:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
5k?

If you don't buy it, I am sure I could swing one ...

Boosted LS is the definition of fun on wheels.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:49:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I see that the general consensus is to "fo", and I most likely will.
My only concern about it, is that I'm not a gear-head, for lack of better word.
I know how to maintain a vehicle, but if something breaks on it...I'm sure it wouldn't be an easy or cheap fix.
The good news is that it was done at Lingenfelter, not some guys garage down the street...so I know it was done right. But, God forbid, something does break, I don't know that anyone in eastern nc would be able to fix it.
I'll most likely do it...I'm supposed to go check it out this weekend or next. If I get it, I'll definitely come back and post pics.
Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Dude.......Fo!  And bring it by for me to see!  

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:33:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dude.......Fo!  And bring it by for me to see!  

View Quote

I definitely will if I get it...I need to call you man
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd buy that in a heartbeat
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 6:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
If you don't buy it I will. 5K and I will be on my way. Nice ride and I would buy it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Have any pics of it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Shit, I have an 04 LS Tahoe 5.3 without FWD. I'm the original owner, people are always asking me if I want to sell it. I'd also be all over that deal !
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Would FO
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have any pics of it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Have any pics of it?

I don't, unfortunately.

Quoted:
If you don't buy it I will. 5K and I will be on my way. Nice ride and I would buy it.

Shipping back to Africa would be a little high, no?
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:42:57 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, the 00-06 body Tahoe, is the last Tahoe that a regular person with average machanical knowledge can fix.

You need to fo hard on this as even with out the LPE package a 60kmile 03 4wd tahoe alone is worth $14,000 all day long.

Just do all the required maintainance.
1. engine oil
2. transmission fluid
3. front dif, rear diff, transfercase fluids
4. radiator fluid
5. change air filter (or oil the K&N) and change the PCV (I think 03 still had a PCV)
6. change fuel filter (if its not the intank version)
7. grease all fittings
8. call lingenfelter and ask them if there's any regular maintaance that needs to be done to the super charger itself.  Not sure if they used a Vortec or a Procharger, vortec may need to have it's oil changed
9. enjoy and if anything breaks it will be stuipid shit like the following: window motors, AC vent actuator or blower fan resistor, some of the lights on the steering wheel controls, etc.  All easy fixes.  Big stuff would be the transmission going out, but......... I doubt that transmission is stock if it had a full LPE package done, but if say is it stock and LPE didn't touch it, those transmissions at most cost $1700 installed for a brand new one or $450 for a used one and you install it which can be done in an afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, the 00-06 body Tahoe, is the last Tahoe that a regular person with average machanical knowledge can fix.

You need to fo hard on this as even with out the LPE package a 60kmile 03 4wd tahoe alone is worth $14,000 all day long.

1. engine oil
2. transmission fluid
4. radiator fluid
5. change air filter (or oil the K&N) and change the PCV (I think 03 still had a PCV)
7. grease all fittings
8. call lingenfelter and ask them if there's any regular maintaance that needs to be done to the super charger itself.  Not sure if they used a Vortec or a Procharger, vortec may need to have it's oil changed
9. enjoy and if anything breaks it will be stuipid shit like the following: window motors, AC vent actuator or blower fan resistor, some of the lights on the steering wheel controls, etc.  All easy fixes.  Big stuff would be the transmission going out, but......... I doubt that transmission is stock if it had a full LPE package done, but if say is it stock and LPE didn't touch it, those transmissions at most cost $1700 installed for a brand new one or $450 for a used one and you install it which can be done in an afternoon.
View Quote

Says who? My 2011 Avalanche still uses the "same" 5.3 motor. Granted they upgraded to a 6l80 trans and ditched the old 4 speed. They haven't changed THAT much.

Maintenance is stupid easy on these though. Heck I changed an alternator in 15 minutes taking my time. Worst I ever had to do was change a fuel pump on an 01 that the check valve was sticking it letting fuel drain back into the tank causing an occasional hesitant start. I love these GM trucks. Well I will say I hate the damn cheap ass plastic dash that cracks in every one of these NNBS models.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit, if you don't, I'll be in Robbinsville this weekend and I'll come buy it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:24:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Says who? My 2011 Avalanche still uses the "same" 5.3 motor. Granted they upgraded to a 6l80 trans and ditched the old 4 speed. They haven't changed THAT much.

Maintenance is stupid easy on these though. Heck I changed an alternator in 15 minutes taking my time. Worst I ever had to do was change a fuel pump on an 01 that the check valve was sticking it letting fuel drain back into the tank causing an occasional hesitant start. I love these GM trucks. Well I will say I hate the damn cheap ass plastic dash that cracks in every one of these NNBS models.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. engine oil
2. transmission fluid
4. radiator fluid
7. grease all fittings

Didn't say it couldn't be done but the NNBS has even more electronics, modules etc than the NBS.  Every body style they get more complicated with the support systems which can be tricky to diagnose.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't have a problem working on my T9 Escalade.  More modules yes, but the diagnostics almost all run through obd, minus the tech2 needed for bcm and TCM diagnosis
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

Careful. Buddy crashed bike up there last weekend. He was just behind me.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 11:33:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll be on four wheels, but I certainly appreciate it.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

1. engine oil
2. transmission fluid
4. radiator fluid
7. grease all fittings
View Quote

This is the kind of shit I need to hear...Thank you!
As I said earlier, I'm not a gear-head and all the high performance stuff on it scares me a little. If some of that high performance stuff takes a dump, I'm not sure there's a reputable hot-rod shop in eastern nc that could properly diagnose/repair it.
But from what I've read, and experienced (owned an 03 Tahoe and an 04 Avalanche), the trucks themselves are pretty reliable and easy to repair.
Also, Like I said earlier, at it's core it's an 03 4WD Tahoe with 60K miles on it...so, for five grand or so, I think I can only go but so wrong with it.
If I get it, It'll be a couple weeks before I actually do...but I'll let him know there's plenty of folks willing to swoop down and snatch it up should I change my mind.
Thanks again, everyone, for your input.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
why are you still here?
View Quote

Word

I know Nevada is a long way away but that would almost be worth the trip
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#32]
definitely fo

so did u tell him you'd get it?
any local hotrod shop should be able to diagnose issues, easy enough

Link Posted: 10/17/2016 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#33]
We need updates damn it
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:51:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Waiting on pictures.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry guys...nothing to update yet.
It'll still be a couple weeks til I "get my money right" (redneck speak for "come up with the cash" ).

I still haven't gone to check it out/drive it. But, again, I know the guy fairly well and he's pretty trustworthy. I trust what he says about the condition, etc. Worst case scenario, If I check it out and it's a POS...I don't buy it.

But I feel pretty confident it'll happen...just a matter of time.

I know this is the shittiest "What's in the safe" thread ever, but this will be the first place I come when I get it, and I'll bring pics...and maybe the testimony of Scott (2xsl_1998) after I take him for a ride in it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
definitely fo

View Quote

I told him I'll likely get it, providing there's no surprises with it.
That's one of my biggest concerns...I'm not aware of any reputable shops down here. We'll see.
Once I get it, I'll call Lingenfelter with the VIN and find out exactly what was done to it...what I need to look out for or pay attention to, etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:48:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Those run really well. I have similar setup, with a TSP 212/218@ .050" cam, Magnuson TVS 1900 Blower, and it runs STRONG.
VERY fun accelerator pedal, you will have a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#38]
tag for outcome and pictures
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Minor Update - The owner texted these pics to me tonight.
Looks like he's the second owner and that it had Lingenfelter's 6 liter engine put in it...not just a super charger put on the stock 5.3 liter engine. Also had their H/D (heavy duty, I assume) transmission and heads.
All in all, not a cheap package.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:08:56 AM EDT
[#40]
then yes fuck yes is that worth it. Hell that truck if all cleaned up is a magazine worthy car for something like GM Hightech or Super Chevy as-is.  

a 200k mile 6.0L pull out engine is worth $1600 all by itself.  Now factor in a warmed over LPE 6.0 and $3000 super charger and you get what I mean.  At the very worst if you ever got tired of the tahoe, you buy a 4th gen Camaro SS with the LS1 and trade the engines over and STILL make money on the tahoe and put a free super charged 6.0 in a 3300lb camaro.

That transmission is either a 4L65 (beefed up 4L60) or the HD 4L80 (which is a huge heavy transmission).  

You need to buy this thing as it has low/mid level collector car written all over it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#41]
I would convert the trans to synthetic and extend the  intervals . Looks like a hell of a find
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:34:41 AM EDT
[#42]
So did you buy it yet

Seems to me the drivetrain is worth the asking price. I love the idea of a sleeper tahoe.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 1:58:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That's one of my biggest concerns...I'm not aware of any reputable shops down here. We'll see.
Once I get it, I'll call Lingenfelter with the VIN and find out exactly what was done to it...what I need to look out for or pay attention to, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
definitely fo

NC?

Tick Performance.

ETA: To reiterate, that's a screaming deal and you should buy it immediately. (still)
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 3:36:45 AM EDT
[#44]
If he sold it for $5k, he's a re-tard.  It could go for a lot more....

I can't believe you're hesitating on it.  Just give me his number and tell him I'll pay him a lot more
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

NC?

Tick Performance.

ETA: To reiterate, that's a screaming deal and you should buy it immediately. (still)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
definitely fo

NC?

Tick Performance.

I used to race with Jonathan? from Tick back when I had my Cobra.  His car was just a bit faster than my Cobra back in 04.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why are you still here?

Quoted:

It'll still be a couple weeks til I "get my money right" (redneck speak for "come up with the cash").

Soon
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Seriously don't let that get away. That's not just a slapped on supercharger deal.  It's  the swapped to the HD (5.3 to 6.0 and 4l60e to 4l80e) built drivetrain.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
then yes fuck yes is that worth it. Hell that truck if all cleaned up is a magazine worthy car for something like GM Hightech or Super Chevy as-is.  

a 200k mile 6.0L pull out engine is worth $1600 all by itself.  Now factor in a warmed over LPE 6.0 and $3000 super charger and you get what I mean.  At the very worst if you ever got tired of the tahoe, you buy a 4th gen Camaro SS with the LS1 and trade the engines over and STILL make money on the tahoe and put a free super charged 6.0 in a 3300lb camaro.

That transmission is either a 4L65 (beefed up 4L60) or the HD 4L80 (which is a huge heavy transmission).  

You need to buy this thing as it has low/mid level collector car written all over it.
View Quote

Basically I echo what this guy says.

BUY IT NOW.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Like basically everyone else has said, if that is what it is buy it RIGHT NOW. Hell, if it's a bone stock tahoe optioned like that with that many miles buy it right now.

But I don't really get it...so he buys a lingenfelter modded vehicle.  He has to be a car enthusiast.  I mean I guess someone could "accidentally" buy one but would they over pay that much, talk about it being modded by them, and then have the supporting paperwork or even know why it was valuable enough to keep/send to OP?  So, assuming he is a car enthusiast, he probably knows/hangs out with other car enthusiasts.  If he's been talking about selling, why haven't they snatched it up?  Or casually browsed car forums and seen what it is worth?

And when is the last time anyone selling a vehicle told you that they'd sell it for less than what you offered to come to their house with a dolly and pick it up?

For sure, there may be more to the story to explain this. I just say this to say, if anyone can provide OP with a little more info on what to physically look for to make sure it's an actual lingenfelter conversion it might be beneficial to OP.

But then again, if he lied and its a bone stock Tahoe like that for 5k it's still a deal. .

I personally hope it's legit, OP gets a screaming deal, and then posts some pics.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top