Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2016 3:02:49 PM EDT
I like the look of the new Mustangs with the IRS to be used as a daily driver commuter car.

Currently driving a '09 Tahoe, and will keep it as a work/hunting vehicle when 4x4 is needed.

This is going to be a stock daily driver. I have no intention of modding it to lower ET's.

Edited to highlight the above. I'm not wanting a track car. No racing in my future.
WRX's are ugly. No V8's as I have one already that sucks gas. Already have a 2016 Mazda 3 in the garage for my wife. It's okay, but I like the Mustang better.

Either would need to be with an automatic.

My commute is going to get longer than the 70 minute commute one way that it is right now to nearly 2 hours when our company moves early next year.

The distance is mix of residential and highway, with a good portion through construction zones for the next few years. No way around it.

While the EB4 is stronger, the V6 is a smoother engine, and is fast enough as I crawl through construction zones.

Pictures of my commute.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 3:04:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like the eco 4cyl mustangs. They are quite impressive little engines.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Seriously.  Find a more comfortable car.  If you are going to be in it that long,  you are going to hate it.  Get a used Lexus,  Infiniti,  or Acura. Better cars and way more comfort.  
I drove a 16 mustang and the seats absolutely suck. No support at all.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That's very helpful information. I'm a big guy. 6' and 255lbs.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Just get a V6.   Buy used and you can likely get one for dirt cheap given 2015 GT Perf Packs are already in the 33k range.

Cheaper, likely to not have as many issues in 10-15 year's time, and makes enough power to do what you likely want to do while being naturally aspirated.

If you dont care about getting a V8 then just go cheap.

I own a 95 Cobra, 05 GT, and a 2015 GT Premium Perf Pack.

My average with my 2015 GT over 4500 miles has been 13.8mpg which is slightly better than my city driving average of 13.2-13.6.   My freeway mpg is usually around 20-22.

I am 6ft 3in and around 250pounds.   Have no issues fitting in any of my 3 cars.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 5'11" and 345. Just finished a 4 hour drive with no problems.  S550 has plenty of room in them.  I say get the V6.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I like the look of the new Mustangs with the IRS to be used as a daily driver commuter car.

Currently driving a '09 Tahoe, and will keep it as a work/hunting vehicle when 4x4 is needed.

This is going to be a stock daily driver. I have no intention of modding it to lower ET's.

Either would need to be with an automatic.

My commute is going to get longer than the 70 minute commute one way that it is right now to nearly 2 hours when our company moves early next year.

The distance is mix of residential and highway, with a good portion through construction zones for the next few years. No way around it.

While the EB4 is stronger, the V6 is a smoother engine, and is fast enough as I crawl through construction zones.

View Quote

OF those 2 options, I would go for the V6.  

Honestly though, given your commute, I would look into something more comfortable.  Mazda 6, 4 cylinder Camry, 1.5L  malibu.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
With the right tunes ($400) the 2300 turbo stangs are going nearly as fast as 5.0's

Is this even a decision ? FUCK NA
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Turbo 4 for sure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Ecoboost
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#11]
A 4 or 6 cyl in a 3900lbs car........... have fun with that brick.

here's the thing, with mustangs and camaros, you honestly should only buy the car with a V8.  It's really not the same car without its soul power plant and can actually be a "lesser car" without the V8 meaning for a V6, its a shitty car compared to other V6 powered cars.  Get it?  Don't buy the poser version.  

For the same money though, you really should buy a ultra low mileage 2012-2014 GT500.  WAY better car.  but then again I daily drive a newer Corvette on an 80 mile round trip so what do I know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

here's the thing, with mustangs and camaros, you honestly should only buy the car with a V8.  It's really not the same car without its soul power plant and can actually be a "lesser car" without the V8 meaning for a V6, its a shitty car compared to other V6 powered cars.  Get it?  Don't buy the poser version.  

For the same money though, you really should buy a ultra low mileage 2012-2014 GT500.  WAY better car.  but then again I daily drive a newer Corvette on an 80 mile round trip so what do I know.
View Quote

You do realize the v6 and the 4cyl have essentially the same power than an Ls powered 4th gen Camaro and a similar weight right? Nobody calls them slow

Both engines stock will send the car into the 13's slow that is not.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You do realize the v6 and the 4cyl have essentially the same power than an Ls powered 4th gen Camaro and a similar weight right? Nobody calls them slow

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LS1 Camaros weighed 3400 and had around 340hp.  That means the new mustang is as least 400lbs heavier.  What I'm getting at is dont buy this car unless you buy it with the V8 as its pointless.  If the OP wants a good highway car and has to have a non-V8, then get a car that was designed around a V6 and not the other way around.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They are. I had one shoot a rod through the block today when I was driving it in for tear down. She neglected it though and let it run out of oil multiple times.

Costcap everything order new motor and turbo lol. That's an easy teardown right there LOL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are. I had one shoot a rod through the block today when I was driving it in for tear down. She neglected it though and let it run out of oil multiple times.

Costcap everything order new motor and turbo lol. That's an easy teardown right there LOL.

I like catastrophic failure. A lot less bs to go through
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop pulling numbers out of your ass.  Ecoboost Stang weighs 3500lbs not 3900.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise

Also, I have a v6 from 2007, great engine, no problems and plenty fast for when I need some fun, anymore power and I'd get myself into trouble all the time. If the 2007 is good, I'm sure the 15 is! If you're looking for something bigger go fusion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#18]
We have an Ecoboost Mustang.  It is a great car.  Comfortable on long trips and nimble around town.  Pretty good fuel mileage too.  It is plenty fast too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:10:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The wife has a 2011 5.0.

Last Dec we flew to FtLauderdale and rented a mustang with the eco 4 to drive down to Key West.
I thought it was pretty comfortable. Definitely more comfortable than her 2011. The '15 seemed easier to get in and out of for some reason. I am 6'4" 240.
I was actually surprised at the power as well. Nowhere near the stomp of the 5,0 but that thing ripped along nicely. Never had any issues passing etc. I actually had to pop the hood and take a look to see if it was the 6 or the 4.
As a side note. I am not a fan of convertibles but driving to Key West in a rental it was just the thing to do. I was impressed. It was very quiet inside and the top could be raised or lowered in maybe 20 seconds. Super fast and simple.
The wife wants a newer one since we liked it so much. Oh bonus feature that I love due to my height. Telescoping wheel. If only all cars had them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I used to be a V8 only guy in Muscle cars until the newer engines starting making power and making the cars faster than anything in the 90s and early 2000s had or did.

You guys will remember from back in the day when a car had over 300Hp you were in awe and just amazed that an engine could make that much in a stock car. Now a days 300HP from a turbo 4 is hardly trying for a car company to do these days.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When the '11's first came out in 2010 I watched a two week old automatic V6 brutally pummel two late model GTO's at the local 1/8th mile track.  They couldn't get a word in edgewise, it was hilarious.

300hp+ is nothing to laugh at.

My brother has an '11 GT, we take it up to Sturgis every year for the Mustang Rally up there.  It is about 10hrs and it is comfortable enough to basically sit in for a day straight.

V6 will never eat a turbo and will be cheaper to buy and maintain...

Quoted:
I used to be a V8 only guy in Muscle cars until the newer engines starting making power and making the cars faster than anything in the 90s and early 2000s had or did.

You guys will remember from back in the day when a car had over 300Hp you were in awe and just amazed that an engine could make that much in a stock car. Now a days 300HP from a turbo 4 is hardly trying for a car company to do these days.

When I was in high school and college I had a 1990 Plymouth Laser RS (rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipse)  190hp, that thing was pretty hot even then (early 00's).  Now 4cyls don't even need a turbo to hit 200hp and beyond.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:55:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

When the '11's first came out in 2010 I watched a two week old automatic V6 brutally pummel two late model GTO's at the local 1/8th mile track.  They couldn't get a word in edgewise, it was hilarious.

My brother has an '11 GT, we take it up to Sturgis every year for the Mustang Rally up there.  It is about 10hrs and it is comfortable enough to basically sit in for a day straight.

When I was in high school and college I had a 1990 Plymouth Laser RS (rebadged Mitsubishi Eclipse)  190hp, that thing was pretty hot even then (early 00's).  Now 4cyls don't even need a turbo to hit 200hp and beyond.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

nuts ins't it?

that's why it makes me laugh when old timers start talking about how fast their muscle cars were back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise

Sorry I was quoting for the 5.0 GT it is 3850ish+ which is TOTAL BULL SHIT that the car has to weigh that much.  Same goes for the 3700-3800lbs camaro.  

Here's what I'm getting at and you guys actually helped prove my point, ok so the 4cyl Mustang only weighs 3500lbs  OK, sounds good but what do the REAL 4cyl performance cars weigh?  Ones again, that are built specically for a 4cyl or 6cyl and not using it as a place holder for the rental fleet?

2015 WRX = 3250lbs which is WAY more appropriate for a 4cyl car.

OP, you need a WRX, not a cyl mustang.  I hate japanese cars but I'd buy a WRX turbo (non-STi) for $26,000 new all fucking day before I'd pay that and more for a 4cyl or v6 mustang
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry I was quoting for the 5.0 GT it is 3850ish+ which is TOTAL BULL SHIT that the car has to weigh that much.  Same goes for the 3700-3800lbs camaro.  

Here's what I'm getting at and you guys actually helped prove my point, ok so the 4cyl Mustang only weighs 3500lbs  OK, sounds good but what do the REAL 4cyl performance cars weigh?  Ones again, that are built specically for a 4cyl or 6cyl and not using it as a place holder for the rental fleet?

OP, you need a WRX, not a cyl mustang.  I hate japanese cars but I'd buy a WRX turbo (non-STi) for $26,000 new all fucking day before I'd pay that and more for a 4cyl or v6 mustang
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise

The Mustang platform is actually based on the Fusion.

So rather than putting a I4/V6 in a V8 chassis it could actually be said they put a V8 in a I4/V6 chassis.

200lbs isn't that big of a deal, and without a doubt being built for a 500hp+ V8 it is a stronger car for it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I4 / V6 "sports" car
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:22:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I4 / V6 "sports" car
View Quote

So these aren't sports cars?

Boxster, Cayman, 911
GT-r
the new Ford GT med engine, rear drive 3,5 EcoBoost
etc etc etc
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Reading comprehension is important.

Not planning on aftermarket tunes to make this any faster.  

Reliability will be key.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Reading comprehension is important.

Not planning on aftermarket tunes to make this any faster.  

Reliability will be key.
View Quote

Since when does your opinion matter?

But seriously why do you want a Mustang?  Always wanted one?  Like the looks?

Personally I really want a 05-09 GT...
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a Ford service tech?  I have something I'd like to run by you.

And OP, I'm not too high on the V6 at the moment, I just had to have the throttle body replaced on my 4-month-old Mustang.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So rather than putting a I4/V6 in a V8 chassis it could actually be said they put a V8 in a I4/V6 chassis.

200lbs isn't that big of a deal, and without a doubt being built for a 500hp+ V8 it is a stronger car for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

3,532 to be precise

Uh, no.  Coming from someone sitting in the plant where Mustangs are and Fusions were made.

Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Seriously!  Someone needs to go read about the chassis development of the S550.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Boxster, Cayman, 911
GT-r
etc etc etc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I4 / V6 "sports" car

Boxster, Cayman, 911
GT-r
etc etc etc

And these things were smokin' V8's 20 years ago...

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 1:00:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Reliability aside, I'd drive both. Both engines have different driving characteristics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#35]
You should drive both, and buy the one you like best.

I know, a sensible answer. Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a Subaru fanboy, and have owned a WRX for nearly 10 years now.

If you want a comfortable car, the WRX is not it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor is it a fuel efficient commuter. A glorified econobox that struggles to get 25mpg

Sign me up NOT
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Nor is it a fuel efficient commuter. A glorified econobox that struggles to get 25mpg

Sign me up NOT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me up NOT

I can get 29 if I drive 65mph on a flat road with the A/C off.

It usually averages 22, mixed driving.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#39]
2016 Prius. With that kind of traffic you'll still get 50+ mpg.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me up NOT

To put that in perspective my 4x4 twin turbo F150 averages 19.3 mpg in a spirited mixed commuting application. AC on but driving similar speeds to you.

For a small car that 22 is outright deplorable
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I would get the Ecoboost for sure.  I know they're far different but I have a Feista ST for a daily driver and it's an incredible little car.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#42]
It should me noted that the Ecoboost is available with premium trim (leather, heated mirrors, etc) and the V6 is not. For a daily driver I would most certainly want the extras offered in the premium package. If those extras don't matter to you then I have not contributed to this thread at all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Im in DFW, so A/C will run 85% of the time.

Leather is not a deal killer.  I'm looking for 25 mpg or better higher.

I will usually be by myself.

Driving both today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#44]
of the two, the Eco boost only because you can get the Performance Pack as an option
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Do you intend to buy it and keep it until the wheels fall off? If so, V6. If you're only going to keep it for like 8-10 years or something then the turbo 4cyl.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

To put that in perspective my 4x4 twin turbo F150 averages 19.3 mpg in a spirited mixed commuting application. AC on but driving similar speeds to you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sign me up NOT

Yep, and its premium gas.

I blame the gearing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm looking for 25 mpg or better higher.
View Quote

Not dogging you OP, but if this is a mandatory part of your criteria buy a normal car like a honda accord.  While MPG is far better than it used to be, you dont buy a sports or performance car with MPG being part of your criteria.  Same goes if you are worried about a "rough ride", that's what a performance car is supposed to do.  If you want a refined ride you buy a refined car (audi, merc, bmw).  if you want MPG you buy an economical car.

I applaud you for wanting a mustang, but buy it with the 5.0, you'll kick yourself later and even much later when you lose your ass on it trying to sell trade it as the 6yl 4cyl mustangs have the worst resale, because... everybody wants the V8.  Also not that you might care, but anyone else with a true performance car, Mustang GT, Camaro SS, Corvette, M3, Challenger R/T / SRT, will not take your serious and some including your own friends will mock you for buying a non-V8 version.  In the Camaro/Mustang world, non-V8 versions from day one are considered parts cars and to some fall into the poser category.  I was just at a car show yesterday and heard some guy with a 2013 Camaro V6 going on and on about how fast it was to another guy.  The other guys asks the owner if he'd done anything to the V8, and the owners like oh no its a V6 and boy is it way faster than my old Accord.  Other guy just turned and just walked away.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Im in DFW, so A/C will run 85% of the time.

Leather is not a deal killer.  I'm looking for 25 mpg or better higher.

I will usually be by myself.

Driving both today.
View Quote

Why bother with a 2 door that gets around 25 mpg when you can get a more comfortable sedan that gets 35-40mpg?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can get an ultra low mile 2012-2014 GT500 for $22-25K?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you honestly think that when he's done picking the must have options that a V6 or 4 will be less than $30,000?  I have yet to see one.  Hell they start stripped down at $26,000 and are all over $30,000 regardless of engine choice .  

30k mile 2012 GT500s are far from $30 grand these days.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top