Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2016 1:10:36 PM EDT
I've been watching Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube the past few days, going back through older episodes and finding some pretty cool stuff.  One show was on a guy who restored a Model T, it kinda peaked my interest.  I've been doing a bit of reading about them and would love to hear from some folks who might have one of these old cars or other cars of that era.  I was amazed to see that you can still get decent examples of these for relative cheap prices in comparison to other "collector" vehicles.

I'm not much of a car guy, but if anyone has some good reading they might suggest to learn more about these old cars that would be appreciated as well, it's never to late to learn
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#1]
My old car only goes back to September 1942 (Ford GPW) so not sure if that's old enough for you.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My old car only goes back to September 1942 (Ford GPW) so not sure if that's old enough for you.
View Quote

Sure, got a pic and some info?

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 3:33:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Model Ts are small.  Model As are a bit bigger, but still kinda small.

I have a Model A.

Restorations suck.  Hot rods rule!

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember as a kid riding in a Model T or and A, not sure.  I know it had a fold out rumble seat in the back where I sat with my buddy, we were probably about 8-9 years old.  I thought it was cool because everyone would wave at you as we rode around town

I think the Street Rod thing is neat but the restorations to original (or as close as possible) are what I enjoy.  I'm not enough of a car guy to know what the majority of the hopped up shit is on these street rods but I sure appreciate the work folks do with them.  I'd love to learn.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Model Ts are small.  Model As are a bit bigger, but still kinda small.

I have a Model A.

Restorations suck.  Hot rods rule!

http://i63.tinypic.com/1252yoj.jpg
View Quote

Bah!  Pssh hodrods.....

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've been watching Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube the past few days, going back through older episodes and finding some pretty cool stuff.  One show was on a guy who restored a Model T, it kinda peaked my interest.  I've been doing a bit of reading about them and would love to hear from some folks who might have one of these old cars or other cars of that era.  I was amazed to see that you can still get decent examples of these for relative cheap prices in comparison to other "collector" vehicles.

I'm not much of a car guy, but if anyone has some good reading they might suggest to learn more about these old cars that would be appreciated as well, it's never to late to learn
View Quote

They are as simple as you can get.  If you can maintain a lawn mower you can do most of the maintenance on a Model A.

There are oddities,  Babbit bearings and wax string seals in the water pumps.  

Pic of a 4wd model T from the A doodle bug racer.  

Visitor to the fly in.  

Doodle bug

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife's grandmother has like 13 classic cars from 1918 to 1957 including a model T. Honestly when they are that old they are a neat curiosity piece but a real pain in the ass.

1918 Chevy truck
Model T
Model A
57 Chevy, Tbird, and Studebaker
A couple of 1927 Franklin's
A few more.

I am not a car guy but have driven and broken down in most if them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#8]
A guy did a full resto on a model T on another board I'm on.  I had no idea how much wood was in those cars, it's pretty nuts.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/body-wood
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
4WD T taken from the doodle bug

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
My Father always said "Ford reached the height of perfection with the model A. They've been going down hill ever since!"
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A guy did a full resto on a model T on another board I'm on.  I had no idea how much wood was in those cars, it's pretty nuts.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/body-wood
View Quote

That is interesting, I had no idea either.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bah!  Pssh hodrods.....

View Quote

That truck looks awesome  

Having kids first thought was Tow Mater from Cars
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#13]
My family and I have about 7 or 8 Model T's and Brass T's.  I also have a 26 Chevy

All the photos I have on my phone.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That truck looks awesome  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That truck looks awesome  

My buddys little boy always asks "wheres mater?" when he visits.  LOL
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Prices have been falling on the really old cars (pre-50s) for the last few years. Ts and deuces are finally becoming affordable again. I've heard that is because the generation that was so enamored with them is passing on. It makes sense, most people buy old cars that remind them of their youth. The folks that remember model Ts on the road are getting few and far between.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm looking at that little 2wd air force truck thinking how cool that would be to have!  

Then I remember all the boredom I suffered behind the wheel of the modern 2005 blue silverado flightline truck.  

Will people think theyre cool too in 60+ years?
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Prices have been falling on the really old cars (pre-50s) for the last few years. Ts and deuces are finally becoming affordable again. I've heard that is because the generation that was so enamored with them is passing on. It makes sense, most people buy old cars that remind them of their youth. The folks that remember model Ts on the road are getting few and far between.
View Quote

That would make sense I suppose.  I can't tell you the last Model T or A that I've seen on the road or at the local shows in a long time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My family and I have about 7 or 8 Model T's and Brass T's.  I also have a 26 Chevy
View Quote

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
I have some misc parts and books for them from stuff my dad had
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top