Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2016 4:51:53 PM EDT
So if you could measure whatever front steer steering your car has, that'd be great.

If you do can you please include year, manufacturer, model (trim level too), and total travel?

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
whats it for?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 5:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
There is no way I can justify that price if there are OEM racks that will work.  So I ask again for people to measure the travel distance of their racks if they are front steer.

PS this is for a 3rd gen Camaro.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There is no way I can justify that price if there are OEM racks that will work.  So I ask again for people to measure the travel distance of their racks if they are front steer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

why cant you buy the one for the camaro?

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 7:42:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

...third generation F-bodies did not come with a rack and pinion setup.  Further, there are no available off the shelf aftermarket power steering racks for the chassis.  The woodward power racks are over 1500 dollars.  Even if they sold a specific one for the third generation F-Body, 1500 is incredibly steep.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 8:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a little more than a simple lock to lock travel measurement that is necessary to ensur eyou get the right rack and pinion for your application.

Things like gear ratio, steering knuckle arm length and distance between inner tie rod ends and the relationship of that distance to your control arms pivot point distance and mounting style, assuming you are fabbing the mount.

You  may need to take into consideration the mounting height possible with a candidate rack if you're interested in eliminating bump steer.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:28:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Yes, I know.  Flaming River racks dont have the travel and Appleton is still very expensive.  OEM Original Equipment Manufacture.  Not aftermarket.

Quoted:

There is a little more than a simple lock to lock travel measurement
that is necessary to ensur eyou get the right rack and pinion for your
application.

Things like gear ratio, steering knuckle arm length
and distance between inner tie rod ends and the relationship of that
distance to your control arms pivot point distance and mounting style,
assuming you are fabbing the mount.

You  may need to take into
consideration the mounting height possible with a candidate rack if
you're interested in eliminating bump steer.

Yes,
I know all this.  First, I would like to find which racks have the
travel I need. Geometry can be manipulated.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So if you could measure whatever front steer steering your car has, that'd be great.

If you do can you please include year, manufacturer, model (trim level too), and total travel?

View Quote
This please.  OEM, not random aftermarket companies I havent asked about.  Geometry can be manipulated with inner and outter tie rods, spacers on rack, mounting positioning, etc.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried to help. Got shit on. So I'm gonna go measure my car. Check back hourly for eternity.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I tried to help. Got shit on. So I'm gonna go measure my car. Check back hourly for eternity.
View Quote
I have a very specific request.  I'm sorry you feel shit on.  I did not ask for what you provided and I said so the first time.

Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I did some reading on it and it seems like the consensus is a 97 t bird rack has the correct throw.  I don't know the measurement but it is supposed to match the factory throw.

So why the swap to rack and pinion?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I did some reading on it and it seems like the consensus is a 97 t bird rack has the correct throw.  I don't know the measurement but it is supposed to match the factory throw.

View Quote
Room for snails plus some CG improvement.  I have a thread on TGO(http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/736887-all-useful-r-p.html#post6079574) and listed a bunch of possibles.  A CTO (center take off) rack that is possible is the mid 90's Intrepid (6.875").  Supposedly the 90s Taurus rack is 7" and is ETO (end take off).  The biggest issue I'm having though is finding travel distances.  I have threads on pirate 4x4, NASIOC, IWSTI, all trying to get linear travels.  RockAuto is a good source for all the other steering rack specs but travel.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#14]
bump
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#15]
bump
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:19:51 PM EDT
[#16]
bump

Found out that the 2007 STI rack has 5.25" of travel
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Room for snails plus some CG improvement.  I have a thread on TGO(http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/736887-all-useful-r-p.html#post6079574) and listed a bunch of possibles.  A CTO (center take off) rack that is possible is the mid 90's Intrepid (6.875").  Supposedly the 90s Taurus rack is 7" and is ETO (end take off).  The biggest issue I'm having though is finding travel distances.  I have threads on pirate 4x4, NASIOC, IWSTI, all trying to get linear travels.  RockAuto is a good source for all the other steering rack specs but travel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 things why not use the typical Pinto rack ? You should be able to put stops on a rack  or as is usually the case the spindles limit the travel. Also a 90's Taurus rack is a part known for failure .
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
2 things why not use the typical Pinto rack ? You should be able to put stops on a rack  or as is usually the case the spindles limit the travel. Also a 90's Taurus rack is a part known for failure .
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not enough travel.  Pinto rack would be pretty bad in terms of turning circle or anything outside of drag racing.  The 90's FBodies have a spindle with a pretty long steering arm.

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#19]
bump
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you checked Speedway Motors? Their tech guys are not hacks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:31:47 PM EDT
[#21]
But usually it is not the box that is the travel stop . On most American cars it is built into the spindle . You could potentially use a longer travel rack with no issues
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

But usually it is not the box that is the travel stop . On most American cars it is built into the spindle . You could potentially use a longer travel rack with no issues
View Quote
If he has upgraded the brakes, it requires cutting off the stops on the spindles on a third gen f body.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's tough enough finding a rack with 7" of travel

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If he has upgraded the brakes, it requires cutting off the stops on the spindles on a third gen f body.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The stop is a bolt head for the brake bracket at this point, I think. But yea, that was lopped off to make room for the Brembos.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#25]
84-87 Buick Skylark is supposed to be 7. ,  one vintage of cavalier is over 6 inches
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

84-87 Buick Skylark is supposed to be 7. ,  one vintage of cavalier is over 6 inches
View Quote
Do you happen to know if it is front steer or rear steer?

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea . I used to work at a chevy dealer and worked in a GM fleet . I am not a big fan of GM stuff . I was just playing around in parts searches trying to solve your first question . The other problem may be the location of the input on the rack
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I have no idea . I used to work at a chevy dealer and worked in a GM fleet . I am not a big fan of GM stuff . I was just playing around in parts searches trying to solve your first question . The other problem may be the location of the input on the rack
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah.  Because the rack has to be a front steer rack or else itll be reverse steering

Input location could be an issue but can be worked around to a point.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top