Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 9:07:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a 1200 if you get a Sportster. You'll get tired of an 883 real quick.

My old 1200:

A bike I'll never get rid of: 1983 XL 1000

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:21:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, Your out of your mind.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The 883 is the way to go, you get the 10% shorter gearing in the primary and 3.5% at the front drive pulley. You can swap for a 1200 drive pulley to make it more friendly at highway speeds. If you regularly do 80+ for extended periods, I'd get a 1200 for the primary gearing alone and run an 883 drive pulley. You can also get 883's for next to nothing, which helps justify tossing the 883 jugs and order a Hammer Performance 1250 kit and cams of your choice and have about 100 HP vs. the 40 of the stock 883. The stock top end is heavy and cylinders are twisted / warped. All 07+ are EFI and all 05+ are rubber mounted. 07-08 has EFI under the seat which limits solo seat options. 09+ moved it to behing the rear jug. Plan on a $350-450 Dynojet PowerVision...also from Hammer. Also plan on replacing the fork springs and rear shocks. A superbrace really helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The answer is it depends...

Stock 883 you'll quickly get bored with how little power it has

Stock 1200 you'll eventually get bored but you can probably ride it for a good long whiel

883 that you do a 1250 conversion (I prefer hammer performance as well) at the SMASH level or higher you'll probably enjoy the fuck out of that bike.

I'm a big sportster fan, own a 93 that's been hopped up by hammer performance, but I wouldn't buy one made after 2003.  If you don't want to get one that old then look at the Dyna's instead.  They ride better and handle better than the current sportsters.  Hard to believe but it's true.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Wrong move,
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#7]
The 07 883 had 7 point injectors starting in 08 they swapped to 25 point injectors, and switched to a different full pump on all sportsters.  

Personally would go a 10 or newer on a sportster.  I owned an 08 883 til earlier this year.  The relay/fuse box got redesigned for a reason after the 07-09 models.  I carried a spare system relay after getting stranded twice.  Water and road grime would get behind the system relay from those years and short it out.  Sealed relay isn't something you can fix on the side of the road unless you have a spare.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

why?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Stock 1200 you'll eventually get bored but you can probably ride it for a good long whiel
883 that you do a 1250 conversion (I prefer hammer performance as well) at the SMASH level or higher you'll probably enjoy the fuck out of that bike.
I'm a big sportster fan, own a 93 that's been hopped up by hammer performance, but I wouldn't buy one made after 2003.  If you don't want to get one that old then look at the Dyna's instead.  They ride better and handle better than the current sportsters.  Hard to believe but it's true.  

why?  

In a nutshell...

• Redesign in 04 changed frame geometry which decreased lean angles significantly, and was made worse in 2007 and later when EFI came into the lineup

• They porked the weight of the bike up greatly with the redesign which makes the bike feel even more top heavy

• The rubber mounted engine really doesn't isolate the vibrations all that much.  I've ridden both back to back, and while there is a difference it isn't all that huge.

• The Yamaha bolt is a better bike in this class/type of bike, and it costs less from the start (or did...it's been a while since I looked)

• Harley went full retard going back to single pot brakes up front vs keeping the 4 pot calipers on some of the Rigid Evo bikes (2000-2003 IIRC).

To me the only advantage that 04+ bikes have is the aftermarket support for parts is stupid (as in lots and lots of parts).  With the Rigid Mount era bikes your options are pretty limited and the aftermarket guys really don't care to make stuff for them now since they're now at the youngest 13 years old and at the oldest 27 years old.  So if you're a parts swapper then 04+ is what you want to look at.  If you like to do more custom stuff then the older bikes are fine.

I could go further into detail about it but that hits the main points really.  I think the Dyna is the better buy for not too much more (can't recall which model but it's the cheaper ones) compared to the new sportsters.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Find an XR1200.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:29:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 883 is the way to go, you get the 10% shorter gearing in the primary and 3.5% at the front drive pulley. You can swap for a 1200 drive pulley to make it more friendly at highway speeds. If you regularly do 80+ for extended periods, I'd get a 1200 for the primary gearing alone and run an 883 drive pulley. You can also get 883's for next to nothing, which helps justify tossing the 883 jugs and order a Hammer Performance 1250 kit and cams of your choice and have about 100 HP vs. the 40 of the stock 883. The stock top end is heavy and cylinders are twisted / warped. All 07+ are EFI and all 05+ are rubber mounted. 07-08 has EFI under the seat which limits solo seat options. 09+ moved it to behing the rear jug. Plan on a $350-450 Dynojet PowerVision...also from Hammer. Also plan on replacing the fork springs and rear shocks. A superbrace really helps.
View Quote

My dad has a Nightster, if it is anything indicative of riding sportsters on the freeway then they universally ALL suck on the freeway. Yeah, you can do it, but they are really out of their element at freeway speeds. Across town or to the corner store, sure. Droning on the freeway? Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My dad has a Nightster, if it is anything indicative of riding sportsters on the freeway then they universally ALL suck on the freeway. Yeah, you can do it, but they are really out of their element at freeway speeds. Across town or to the corner store, sure. Droning on the freeway? Fuck that noise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah they ain't great dedicated highway/freeway bikes that's for sure.  Short jaunts (for me up to an hour) are fine but long trips can be pretty brutal if still stock.  I always look for the mythical 6th gear if I'm on the highway with mine .  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:20:24 AM EDT
[#13]
They are fun bikes but I'd keep the gsxr.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I think you're nuts.

There are about a billion bikes in between. A billion.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
why?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

why?  

Seems like it wasn't till 2004 that the Sportsters got the much beefier crank pin and upgraded tranny. I run Drag Specialties motor mounts & Mil-Spec hardware in the rear.

Also worth mentioning, upgraded valve seals around 07, upgraded oil pump around 06, drastically improved heads from 04+.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The 07 883 had 7 point injectors starting in 08 they swapped to 25 point injectors, and switched to a different full pump on all sportsters.  

Personally would go a 10 or newer on a sportster.  I owned an 08 883 til earlier this year.  The relay/fuse box got redesigned for a reason after the 07-09 models.  I carried a spare system relay after getting stranded twice.  Water and road grime would get behind the system relay from those years and short it out.  Sealed relay isn't something you can fix on the side of the road unless you have a spare.
View Quote

Good point, it's best to pull all the fuses and relays and pack the fuse block with dielectric.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my though exactly one the way home with it for the first time, all highway. This is also why I immediately started upgrading the suspension and added the Superbrace. I knew going into it that these were things everyone said had to be done so I wasn't terribly surprised other than just how bad it was. My 1250 Nightster absolutely loves love at 90 mph with custom 11" Road King shocks, Progressive springs with 3" spacers, and 3" extended forward controls. I am 6'2" 215 lb.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah they ain't great dedicated highway/freeway bikes that's for sure.  Short jaunts (for me up to an hour) are fine but long trips can be pretty brutal if still stock.  I always look for the mythical 6th gear if I'm on the highway with mine .  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've ridden almost 9 hours straight, all highway, on the stock seat. Wasn't the best time after the 6th. hour, but very doable. The day started out at 28 deg. and ended at 46 and I just had jeans on. I'm also running an 883 drive pulley with a 160 rear tire and I don't shift into 5th until at least 65 mph or else the engine is lugging. There is absolutely NO NEED for a 6th gear on a Sportster unless you want to top 130 mph.

Evo engines are much happier at 3k RPM than the 1,500 these old fatties around here lug em around at. If you have grip / peg vibration, check the front motor mount bolt, they like to loosen up. Hit it with red loctite and mark the bolt/nut so you can get a quick visual. The stock motor mounts wear out every 10k. Get the harder Drag Specialties ones, they're half price too IIRC. Also good to check the lower mount / link and the upper, front mount bolts as they like to work loose, especially when these other things have already worked loose.

The rear motor mount bolts (x3, hex head, zinc plated, non drive side) like to shear the heads off if you are a super fatty that rides aggressively, or aggressive 2-up. My wife and I broke one in just 5k mi. of dragging the pipes and pegs. Mil-Spec bolts and antisieze is the way to go. It's a whole new bike when all these things are dialed in properly. There's no way in hell I would ever be happy with a stock bike though. If you aren't into tuning and wrenching, you should prob. look at a performance bike from the start.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#19]

06 1250R, bare steel, Line-X'd seat, 1200R heads, Bassani pipes, HSR carb, Twin-Tec ignition

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By JackalAR

Seems like it wasn't till 2004 that the Sportsters got the much beefier crank pin and upgraded tranny. I run Drag Specialties motor mounts & Mil-Spec hardware in the rear.

View Quote

You are correct. If I ever need crank work done on my bike I'm sending the right case half to hammer and having them convert it to the 2004+ setup. Doubtful I will ever need to though since I'm not racing the bike.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Go buy a Triumph Street Twin if that is what you want.  Same idea but a much better bike all the way around.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a Nightster 1200. I really enjoyed the bike after riding sportbikes for years.
But after a few years, it began to develop issues (electrical) and I traded it in on a Buell XB12Scg. I enjoyed the Buell more, just a better handling bike.

That said, I'd still ride a Sporty. I prefer the 48. Check out the new cafe racer-styled Roadster 1200.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get a 1200 if you get a Sportster. You'll get tired of an 883 real quick.

My old 1200:

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae237/Redscale/20140309_161608_zpseinkmnid.jpg

A bike I'll never get rid of: 1983 XL 1000

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae237/Redscale/Harley_zpsldocd8ys.jpg

View Quote

I sold my nightster in March, just didn't ride it much.  I get the itch every now and then not going to lie
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I would ride one first but if it is what you want just do it. Life is too short to ride bikes you don't like.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
RIF  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would ride one first but if it is what you want just do it. Life is too short to ride bikes you don't like.
RIF  

So buy one, my point stands.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#27]
My sportster was a 2000 model with a hard mount engine. Mirrors were useless on it at pretty much all speeds. It was an 883. Put a 1200 kit on it with Andrews cams. That bike would run. It was a lot of fun but I wanted to do more interstate riding so I traded it off for an Electra Glide. I still miss it for city riding.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't do it. I've had every type of bike. Went from a CBR600 to a Yamaha bolt and it was lame. The bolt is an 883 but better. I've had an 883 too. So you'll hate the switch even more than I did.

Get a more comfortable sport bike. Fz09 or something.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#29]
If you like the personality of the Sportster engine and still want performance/handling, consider a Buell.  The XB-12 can be had for pretty cheap these days.  Parts are getting harder to find, but you can still find them with some hunting.  They are pretty reliable for the most part, with a few quirks like any other bike.  If you get a XB-12S Lightning, the seating is very upright and comfortable.  I find my XB-12S more comfortable than the Sportster I have test ridden.  

The XB line of bikes are Sportster engines with many performance mods already done (higher compression, bigger air box, etc.) and put in sports bike frame.  They handle extremely well, as well a GSXR.  It has decent power, although nothing near a true sports bike and will get killed by a 750 or 1000 GSXR over 80mph.  But on the road, not the track, it has enough power to keep things interesting. The torque is down low where you want it for street riding.  It isn't a bike you get for track days.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:07:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
If you like the personality of the Sportster engine and still want performance/handling, consider a Buell.  The XB-12 can be had for pretty cheap these days.  Parts are getting harder to find, but you can still find them with some hunting.  They are pretty reliable for the most part, with a few quirks like any other bike.  If you get a XB-12S Lightning, the seating is very upright and comfortable.  I find my XB-12S more comfortable than the Sportster I have test ridden.  

The XB line of bikes are Sportster engines with many performance mods already done (higher compression, bigger air box, etc.) and put in sports bike frame.  They handle extremely well, as well a GSXR.  It has decent power, although nothing near a true sports bike and will get killed by a 750 or 1000 GSXR over 80mph.  But on the road, not the track, it has enough power to keep things interesting. The torque is down low where you want it for street riding.  It isn't a bike you get for track days.
View Quote

All of this.  The XB series are just a fucking blast to ride, all the time.  

I'd test-ridden a friend's husband's XR1200X.  I really, really wanted to like it.  But, it handled like a fucking dump truck, and wasn't particularly quick to boot.  It wasn't incredibly comfortable (too upright for higher speeds, and that stupid airbox/tank cover thing got in the way of your knees), but it was nice-looking and extremely attractively finished.

Another friend (Jakezor here) has an XB9SX which I've ridden.  Better than the XR1200X in every conceivable way.  More powerband, better suspension by a long shot, better steering feel, slightly better brakes, far better vibration isolation, more comfortable seating position, looks better (though that's just a personal preference), and was 125 lbs. lighter, to boot.  Buell did everything H-D could have possibly ever done with a Sportster mill and packed it into a chassis that was really very good by any standards.  

I still somehow haven't gotten hold of an XB, but I will before they're all pounded into dust and impossible to find spares for...
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:45:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I am confused by that paperwork. Is it a Harley or somehing that was built?

The mileage is certainly possible. I just bought a 06 Speed Triple with 3,000 miles on it. Not ever being used has its own set of issues. My fork seals started leaking while it was sitting in the garage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:11:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am confused by that paperwork. Is it a Harley or somehing that was built?

The mileage is certainly possible. I just bought a 06 Speed Triple with 3,000 miles on it. Not ever being used has its own set of issues. My fork seals started leaking while it was sitting in the garage.
View Quote

thats  a homebuilt. I am not sure about the frame manufacturer. Personally I would pass on that one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top