Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2016 1:23:12 PM EDT
I love my bike.  It's an 86 VS700 Intruder.  I've had it for 5 years now.  It's not the fastest but it's always got me where I needed to go. It usually needs one part each year but other than that it runs like a top without issue.  Between parts and fluids if I spend $75 a year (which includes $25 for the inspection) that's a lot.  

Today at the local bike shop they had 3 Sportsters for sale.  1 was $2k from 89 and came with an R Title due to an accident.  However 2 were priced at $3k.  One was 1200 from 94 and a 883 from 04.  I asked why they were so cheap and the owner said "Bikes just aren't selling.  The market's really slow right now."  

Then he looked at my bike and said "That's a good bike!  Hold on to it!  And when you sell it, you'll have no problem getting what you paid for it!"  He's consistently told me the same thing every time he's inspected it.  He's a good guy.  Usually drinks beer and has cook outs with his buddies at the shop.  Only takes cash.

Anyway, compared to my bike that just keeps going.... is it worth it to switch to a Harley or are they attention/repair whores?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Fatboy so take that into consideration for my reply. If you like your bike, then keep it. Your local guy knows the market there, and he knows bikes, as well is a good guy by your standards. If you trust him, then listen to him because he is not trying to make a quick buck of you. My .02, and ride safe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want it as a daily rider get the 04.  Its a carbed bike but it was the first year of the rubber mounted engine.

The 94 is a hard mount engine.  Great for custom frame work bad if you like riding and keeping your fillings.

Maintenance on them isn't bad if you do your own.  Shop rates are higher than imports in most areas.

You do need to check and adjust the primary chain but they have hydrolic valves so don't need to check valve clearance.  Evens out labor wise.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no way you are going to get by on $75 a year for a Sportster.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no way you are going to get by on $75 a year for a Sportster.
View Quote

Why the Hell not? Solid engines with no issues. Oil changes and that is all.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The only one of those 3 sportsters worth buying would be the 94 1200 model.  The other 2 wouldn't be worth trading what you currently have for them.  

Sportsters are fucking tanks of a bike.  There's very little with them to go wrong and it's still using the same basic engine for ~30 years now.  You really need to ride one though to tell if you'll like it or not.  Sportsters carry their weight really high up and feel top heavy.  Some people can't stand that.

I don't know what the one poster is smoking but with a sportster you'll be operating at a pretty low cost as well.  Nothing you can't do yourself really.

the 89 and 94 are "rigid mount" bikes where the motor is mounted directly to the frame.  They have the best lean angles of all the sportsters and are some of the lightest bikes.  The downside being that the aftermarket support for the rigid mount bikes isn't nearly as numerous as the later generations.

The 04 is a "rubber mount" bike but is the first of only 3 years to have a carburetor.  It'll be heavier, have rubber motor mounts which need to be replaced as a wear item, but is somewhat smoother.  I say somewhat because it's not really all that much smoother to be honest.  Sportsters are "buzzy" bikes in the sense that they just vibrate.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only one of those 3 sportsters worth buying would be the 94 1200 model.  The other 2 wouldn't be worth trading what you currently have for them.  

Sportsters are fucking tanks of a bike.  There's very little with them to go wrong and it's still using the same basic engine for ~30 years now.  You really need to ride one though to tell if you'll like it or not.  Sportsters carry their weight really high up and feel top heavy.  Some people can't stand that.

I don't know what the one poster is smoking but with a sportster you'll be operating at a pretty low cost as well.  Nothing you can't do yourself really.

the 89 and 94 are "rigid mount" bikes where the motor is mounted directly to the frame.  They have the best lean angles of all the sportsters and are some of the lightest bikes.  The downside being that the aftermarket support for the rigid mount bikes isn't nearly as numerous as the later generations.

The 04 is a "rubber mount" bike but is the first of only 3 years to have a carburetor.  It'll be heavier, have rubber motor mounts which need to be replaced as a wear item, but is somewhat smoother.  I say somewhat because it's not really all that much smoother to be honest.  Sportsters are "buzzy" bikes in the sense that they just vibrate.  
View Quote

I actually had to drive my dad's anniversary sportster home from the dealer.  It had buckhorns on it which I hated.  However, the torque blew my Intruder out of the water.  I didn't think the ride was nearly as comfortable and I felt higher up than on my bike as well.  

My dad also has a springer which is more to my liking.  But I'm guessing those aren't going for $3k.  

All this talk of bikes....I'm heading out for a night ride.  

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I actually had to drive my dad's anniversary sportster home from the dealer.  It had buckhorns on it which I hated.  However, the torque blew my Intruder out of the water.  I didn't think the ride was nearly as comfortable and I felt higher up than on my bike as well.  

My dad also has a springer which is more to my liking.  But I'm guessing those aren't going for $3k.  

All this talk of bikes....I'm heading out for a night ride.  

-Emt1581
View Quote

I'm guessing it's a 93 883 Deluxe (aka 90th anniversary model) if it's got stock buckhorn bars....which btw suck donkey dick!  I replaced mine with some bars off a Dyna (kinda beach style), and then biltwell tracker bars which are a million times better.  I'm guessing it also has mid controls too, which work for some but if your inseam is greater than 30" they kind of suck and are cramped.  Height wise you are correct, it is a taller bike compared to what you got, and you probably also noticed it felt top heavy too.  Not much you can do to change that, it's just the nature of the bike.

While I do think the Rigid Evo bikes are the best Sportster years, if you're going to get a rubber mounted bike get something made after 2008 so you at least get EFI.  I just hate how they redesigned the sportster and porked it's weight up from the Rigid years.  My 93 is, and my memory may be fuzzy on this, about 75lbs lighter than the current bikes stock for stock.  With all the mods I've done I'm probably closer to 90lbs lighter than a stock bike now.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Remember that ride I said I was taking last night.  I think my bike may have got offended that I was contemplating trading her....

I was just about at my destination  and I hear and feel a horrible rattle so I pulled over.  The one license plate bolt fell off and the plate was swinging into the wheel.

First I tried using my Leatherman and gloved hand to take off the remaining bolt to remove the plate so I could get home.  Didn't work.  The end of the bolt was messed up and I needed another wrench.  Then I remembered the bike came with a repair/tool kit in the backrest.  I pulled it out and inside was a bunch of tools...and the open ended wrench I needed.  Worked like a charm.  Got me home.

I should have named her Christine.  After all, she is an antique and cherry red to boot.  

After thinking about it, I'm going to hold on to her instead of trading for a bike that could have issues, more expensive parts, or re-learning a different system.

Thanks for the replies.

-Emt1581
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top