Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2016 9:00:45 AM EDT
Kind of want a CB radio for the truck, mostly for communicating while off roading, but don't want to do a permanent install.

Can anyone recommend a decent hand held unit.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#1]
There didn't seem to be many choices when I decided to buy one a couple weeks ago. I ended up getting a Cobra Road Trip.  It's the basic hand held that can run on AA's or plug into your cig lighter. It also came with a magnetic mount antenna. They claim range is 1/4 mile just using the stub antenna and double that with the roof antenna.

I wish I could give a better AAR other than it works as well as I expected it to. Good hunting walkie talkies probably have a better range but then everyone you run with would need one of those and I assume most of your compadres already have the CB.

Here's what I bought and got it with an $89 offer. IIRC I offered $75 and $85 but both were immediately rejected. Check for used on Craigslist but they're scarce. Someone locally had a Radio Shack model listed for $30 but I wanted the extra antenna in case I neede more range for work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391444338163
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
There's been several threads on this over the years in various forums.  Do an archive search for "CB radio".  You'll get several hits from GD and survival forum.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had good luck with a Midland handheld. We use them in a Miata Club when we have 15-20 Miata's on a road trip.

The newer handheld FM transceivers just do not have the range to work with a line of 15 Miata's.

The Midland handheld (same for most handhelds) even with an external antenna cannot do published range unless maybe under perfect conditions. They seem to do OK out to about a mile.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:45:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Midland 75-822 is what I went with. Love it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  Will check the ones mentioned.

Would love a couple mile range but may not be realistic I guess.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 3:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]
range is antenna based... kinda. Get a tall annoying ugly one and mount it in the exact middle of the most metal part of your rig (not on a bracket out of your hood or off your rear bumper) and you'll get some range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top