Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 7:57:10 PM EDT
I went to ride my 86 Suzuki Intruder and discovered it had ran out of hydraulic fluid so the clutch didn't work.  Can I use power steering fluid for a car in there or is that a huge no no?

Does wal-mart or auto zone...basically any big box non-motorcycle specific store sell the right stuff?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be brake fluid. Does it state which version on the cap? I'd guess DOT-3.

ETA Flush it and put fresh in if you haven't recently and use DOT-4 brake fluid.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:20:20 PM EDT
[#2]
They are close but they may not be compatible with the seals . I know brake fluid used to be a car lot trick to stop PS leaks by adding a little to the PS to make the seals swell.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
FUCK NO!!!,!,
Google is ur friend before you fuck shit up...
Brake fluid....
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 2:57:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

like brake systems they don't consume fluid. you have a leak. identify the leak, repair it, and then bleed with the appropriate fluid.
View Quote

This is what I was suspecting as well.  I'll pick up a bottle of the right stuff today and fill it again just so I can get it inspected.  But then I'll fix the leak.

I usually do my own repairs.  Is this that involved?  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is what I was suspecting as well.  I'll pick up a bottle of the right stuff today and fill it again just so I can get it inspected.  But then I'll fix the leak.

Thanks

-Emt1581
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like brake systems they don't consume fluid. you have a leak. identify the leak, repair it, and then bleed with the appropriate fluid.

Thanks

-Emt1581

ITs a pretty simple job.  Those things can be tough to bleed properly.  I have the best luck filling from the bottom with a syringe type plunger.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It called for DOT 3 or DOT 4....I bought DOT 4 for $6 for the bottle, came home and poured it in.  Worked like a charm.  Rode back to the shop on my bike and got it inspected.  Now I'm good for the year.  

Thanks

-Emt1581
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top