Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 4:39:34 PM EDT
I've always wanted a Ducati, and I like the 749 Dark.
But I'm worried about high maintenance costs. I'm used to Japanese bikes and their reliability.
Anyone have any experience with the 749s? I know the 748s were bad on reliability, but I've heard the 749s corrected some of the issues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 748 and put about 60k on it before she went off to motorcycle heaven. My recommendation is that you make sure you really love the Ducati if your going to buy one.  She is like a high maintenance woman, but if she is the one and no other woman will satisfy, then it is worth it.  If there is no lust and love for the bike you will get sick of her after a while. If I remember correctly the 749 was a little better on maintenance and service intervals, but its still going to be expensive and parts availability from Italy used to be an issue.  For the 748 maintenance was only an issue every 15k.  It cost about $500 to $1K to do the valve adjustment depending on how many rockers need replacing.  For me, it was worth every penny, but you see, I was in love.  I hardly even noticed other bikes and never lusted after another.  I thought we were going to be together forever, but that fucking Bumblebee had other plans.  Word of advice, make sure your helmet has a chin screen that prevents Bumblebee's from flying inside your helmet.  Personally, I was never a fan of the 749 body style or chassis.  It would either be a 748 or an 848 for me, but I haven't purchased a bike since I lost mine.   If anyone has a 748 I have a couple boxes of parts looking for a home.  Good luck and ride safe.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The maintenance isn't that bad on Ducatis.  I have two of them and each of them have run me about 2k in maintenance over 10 years of ownership.  That includes oil changes, tires, valve adjustments, belt replacements, and part upgrades.  That comes out to be about $200 a year for each.

The 749 dark is cool looking but it is pretty much a base level bike.  The S gives you a few upgrades.  Find one that has been upgraded if you can.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a 1098s.  Never had an issue.  Valve adjust n new belt was $700.  
Regular oil changes n rode it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top