Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 2:35:05 AM EDT
Starter finally went up in smoke (literally) on the ole' battletruck.   2000 Silverado with 160k miles.

Ordered a new AC Delco replacement.   I did the standard bench test in my vice with a jump pack and jumper wires.   Tested all three terminals.   Passed.  

Go to install it on my truck,  as I reconnect the battery - the fucker engages.   No key in the ignition.

First guess was a bad starter relay or ignition switch,  so I disconnected the ignition wire from the terminal on the starter.   Only thing connected at this point is B+.   Sure enough,  starter fires up again on its own.  I remove the starter,  bench test it,  and it does fine.   Now,  Im baffled.  

Ignition wire and B+ test fine at the starter with the multimeter.  

Is my starter/truck haunted? How the hell is the starter motor engaging and spinning with only the B+ wire attached?   And why wont it replicate this behavior during bench test?  I even double checked the B+ connection at the starter terminal to make sure it wasnt shorting against the case or contacting the other ignition terminal.   No issues.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:38:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotta be grounding through something, block, etc.
View Quote

Good point.   Might explain why the previous went up in smoke with no warning.  

Prior to that,  I was changing a bad knock sensor,  might have rubbed/bumped/pulled the wire out enough to create a short while pulling the intake manifold.

Ill trace the B+ wire back to the source and look for damage.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Pull the starter relay, may have the contacts burned/welded.

Also, possible to have defective ignition switch, or  screwed up remote start scab wiring.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
You possibly have a ignition switch issue or the relay has failed closed. The last starter failed because of the issue, starters seldom get hot enough to catch fire unless they are engaged so long as to oveheat the rotor varnish [insulation] coating or plastic bits.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You possibly have a ignition switch issue or the relay has failed closed. The last starter failed because of the issue, starters seldom get hot enough to catch fire unless they are engaged so long as to oveheat the rotor varnish [insulation] coating or plastic bits.
View Quote

Thats what I thought at first,  but I eliminated that as a possibility when I pulled the ignition switch wire off the starter terminal.

Gonna use some heavy gauge wire to jumper the battery to B+ on the starter.   I suspect a short in the existing harness as the first poster mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gotta be grounding through something, block, etc.
View Quote

I award you a million Internets,  good sir.  

There's a protrusion on the ring terminal of the B+ cable.   It got bent and was barely contacting the ignition terminal.   Only way I was able to spot it was inspecting the cable with a pocket mirror and a flashlight.

Not much wiggle room on the 5.3 starters.    Can barely see the posts on the starter when its mounted,  much less spot something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top