Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2016 11:43:23 AM EDT
I've been towing my camper (approx 7000 lbs) with a 2005 Chevy 1500. It doesn't get the greatest performance but I'm usually on flat ground so there haven't been any real issues, but I know I'll be dragging it on a couple of longer (300-400) mi trips in the next year so I've been considering an upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck.

Well...I had to take the Chevy in to the shop because it was running a little hot. Got the call late in the day that the cylinder heads are cracked; apparently my 5.3L has the Castech heads that are giving people fits. Thus the question: what 3/4 ton truck do I need to look at to replace this Chevy? Anything from brand new to a few years old (maybe 40k mileage), not base model but not King Ranch/Denali either. Has to seat 5, so Crew Cab equivalents are a requirement. Not opposed to a diesel but I've never owned one so that would be new territory for me. Outside of hauling the camper, this would be my daily vehicle - usually just 30-40 miles a day around town, but I have been known to drive it 6 hours to a job site and back during a work day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#1]
most of the new 1/2 tons are rated over 10,000lbs, some close to 12,000lb to tow

if all i was towing was 7000lbs, i'd stay with a 1/2 ton.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#2]
How often are these towing excursions?  if regular or semi regular upgrade, it will be more pleasurable to tow. If infrequent might want to stick with a 1/2.ton and add a trans cooler.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#3]
1/2 tons will run out of payload before running out of towing capacity.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
most of the new 1/2 tons are rated over 10,000lbs, some close to 12,000lb to tow

if all i was towing was 7000lbs, i'd stay with a 1/2 ton.
View Quote

Quoted:
How often are these towing excursions?  if regular or semi regular upgrade, it will be more pleasurable to tow. If infrequent might want to stick with a 1/2.ton and add a trans cooler.
View Quote

Quoted:
1/2 tons will run out of payload before running out of towing capacity.
View Quote

To answer everybody at once:

-The Chevy I have, after you do all of the math, is about maxed out on gross combined weight when you add a family of 5 and all the gear to the trailer and truck bed.
-We pull the camper about every other month, so it's not a weekly event but it's often enough that it makes me think about regularly.
-In the research I've done thus far, a lot of 1/2 tons say they can tow the weight but when you add payload and take into account vehicle weight and transmission (I have to have a crew cab and 4x4) the reductions seem to bring me back to where I am now. Then you add the upgrades to increase tow capacity (trans cooler, axle ratio, bigger powertrain, etc) and you've priced out to the same point as a 3/4 ton truck. I'm not married to the idea of either a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, just don't want to buy wrong, especially undersized. If there's a reliable 1/2 ton that would do the job I would prefer that for a better ride (for the family, I don't mind if a truck rides like a truck).
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
One difference between 1/2-tons and heavier-duty trucks is often gearing. A 1/2-ton rear has the weight-carrying capacity, but the gearing is often taller than what's available in 3/4-tons. You can probably pick up a 2WD 1/2-ton and have it regeared for less than the cost of a 3/4-ton. You may even be able to do it with a 4x4 for around the same money.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

One difference between 1/2-tons and heavier-duty trucks is often gearing. A 1/2-ton rear has the weight-carrying capacity, but the gearing is often taller than what's available in 3/4-tons. You can probably pick up a 2WD 1/2-ton and have it regeared for less than the cost of a 3/4-ton. You may even be able to do it with a 4x4 for around the same money.
View Quote

Never mind the differences in the suspension, the brakes, and the driveline....

OP with the frequency you're talking about I would strongly consider getting a 3/4 ton.  Not only is it the better tool for the job but it'll make it safer for you and your family.  You can tart up a 1/2 ton to do what you're asking but it's still not going to be on the same level.  The only downside I can see is that driving a 3/4 ton truck as a DD is a bit...different.  The truck will ride a bit rougher than what you're used to currently.  

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which are all WAY more than adequate for towing a 7000lb camper & whatever goes in the truck. If he was CARRYING a lot then a 3/4-ton absolutely makes more sense, but it doesn't sound like he is. They're not really 1/2-tons any more in that most of them can carry well over 1500lb and tow 10K-plus.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#8]
towing 7000lbs w/ a half ton sux.

get a 3/4 ton and get a diesel if you can.  you'll never look back.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
In reference to K1's and ME's last replies...

I've toyed around with the truck builder options for both Ford and Chevy and it seems to me that you can get a 1/2 ton and add all of the necessary options to haul up to 11,500 lbs and carry almost 2,000 lbs. You can also get all of that built into a 3/4 ton for the same money, with the downside that a 3/4 ton will ride like...a 3/4 ton.

Edit: To address Twisted's reply...I'm not opposed to a diesel, I've just never had a diesel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I would do a 3/4 ton. Even if you had to buy less trim level and maybe a gasser . Not running at gross all the time helps , not to mention the bigger brakes and higher weight rating for everything else
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would do a 3/4 ton. Even if you had to buy less trim level and maybe a gasser . Not running at gross all the time helps , not to mention the bigger brakes and higher weight rating for everything else
View Quote

Red ties closely with my thinking. I can drag that thing up and down the Gulf Coast without too much heartburn but when a Bay County-ian pulls a camper to Unicoi State Park he needs all the help he can get.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've been towing my camper (approx 7000 lbs) with a 2005 Chevy 1500. It doesn't get the greatest performance but I'm usually on flat ground so there haven't been any real issues, but I know I'll be dragging it on a couple of longer (300-400) mi trips in the next year so I've been considering an upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck.

Well...I had to take the Chevy in to the shop because it was running a little hot. Got the call late in the day that the cylinder heads are cracked; apparently my 5.3L has the Castech heads that are giving people fits. Thus the question: what 3/4 ton truck do I need to look at to replace this Chevy? Anything from brand new to a few years old (maybe 40k mileage), not base model but not King Ranch/Denali either. Has to seat 5, so Crew Cab equivalents are a requirement. Not opposed to a diesel but I've never owned one so that would be new territory for me. Outside of hauling the camper, this would be my daily vehicle - usually just 30-40 miles a day around town, but I have been known to drive it 6 hours to a job site and back during a work day.
View Quote

5.0 F150 (2011+)

Or

6.2 (gas)/ 6.7 (diesel) F250/350  (2011+)
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Red ties closely with my thinking. I can drag that thing up and down the Gulf Coast without too much heartburn but when a Bay County-ian pulls a camper to Unicoi State Park he needs all the help he can get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will be passing by my house wave as you go by
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have towed with half ton and 3/4 ton pick ups I have towed with gas power and diesel power.   By far the best towing vehicle is a 3/4 ton diesel.  All road conditions, up hill and down nothing fazes the truck.  That being said a lot of people do not need a diesel pickup.  With what we have now I don't need a diesel pickup.  However the Grand daughter came camping with us for the first time this year. The Wife is now talking about a bigger camper. Then I will need a diesel for sure.  3/4 ton makes it easy.  Diesel makes it better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Silverado/Sierra 2500HD (2008+).

If you get the extended or crew cab they're 5 or 6 passenger (you either get a center console or a jump seat in the front depending on trim level).

The 2500's give you engine oil cooler, tranny cooler, power steering cooler, bigger brakes (& 4 wheel discs), 6-speed automatic, 3.73 or 4.10 axles, tow package/brake controller, etc.

You're going to get shitty gas mileage if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have towed with half ton and 3/4 ton pick ups I have towed with gas power and diesel power.   By far the best towing vehicle is a 3/4 ton diesel.  All road conditions, up hill and down nothing fazes the truck.  That being said a lot of people do not need a diesel pickup.  With what we have now I don't need a diesel pickup.  However the Grand daughter came camping with us for the first time this year. The Wife is now talking about a bigger camper. Then I will need a diesel for sure.  3/4 ton makes it easy.  Diesel makes it better.
View Quote

Yup.  
I dont need a diesel either but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for me.  
I will never go back to gas.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#17]
3/4 ton without doubt. If you're hauling that much weight (not just the trailer), it's best not to run along at nearly 100% capacity.

When you're talking trailer weight, is that empty or loaded with propane, water, food, gear etc?

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

towing 7000lbs w/ a half ton sux.

get a 3/4 ton and get a diesel if you can.  you'll never look back.
View Quote

This is very true. Those 1/2 ton towing capacities everyone is

throwing around are in a perfect world.

Also if you are ever planning on going to a bigger camper you

will be set if you get a diesel 3/4 ton.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 1:35:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've toyed around with the truck builder options for both Ford and Chevy and it seems to me that you can get a 1/2 ton and add all of the necessary options to haul up to 11,500 lbs and carry almost 2,000 lbs. You can also get all of that built into a 3/4 ton for the same money, with the downside that a 3/4 ton will ride like...a 3/4 ton.

Edit: To address Twisted's reply...I'm not opposed to a diesel, I've just never had a diesel.
View Quote

My 15 Ram 2500 4x4 is surprisingly comfortable and drives very well.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coil spring rear suspension, correct?

Buddy of mine just went from a '99 CTD 2500 4wd to a '16 CTD 2500 4wd w/coil rear suspension and he says it's a night and day difference.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I've owned/driven a 2nd gen Dodge Cummins 2500 4wd manual trans since '96 and have owned a 36ft 5th wheel toy hauler since '02.  I normally daily drive a gas powered SUV or until recently a '97 Civic because DD'ing the CTD is a PITA.

Given the description of your typical usage I would not buy a diesel - I just don't see a diesel being a cost effective choice for you.  Certainly the diesel will handle the towing better but that is such a low percentage of your time/miles it's not really worth considering IMO.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Buddy of mine just went from a '99 CTD 2500 4wd to a '16 CTD 2500 4wd w/coil rear suspension and he says it's a night and day difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did Dodge switch to coil spring rears on the 2500 trucks?  If so that's awesome!  I much prefer the ride quality of a coil sprung rear vs a leaf sprung rear.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
  Did Dodge switch to coil spring rears on the 2500 trucks?  If so that's awesome!  I much prefer the ride quality of a coil sprung rear vs a leaf sprung rear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they did and I would not mind driving mine daily one bit, the only drawback is parking it

as it is long.

Set up for a 5th wheel.

Rear

Front

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

That's awesome! I'll have to put the 2500 series back on my radar as a potential replacement to my car when the time comes....certainly would beat driving a minivan
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That's awesome! I'll have to put the 2500 series back on my radar as a potential replacement to my car when the time comes....certainly would beat driving a minivan
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Mini-vans have their place - I think they make great hwy road trip vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:30:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I daily drive my 14 cummins crew
37's, lift, gears, delete etc
Best truck ive ever owned.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#27]
No need for a diesel.

Any modern 3/4 ton with a gas engine will be fine.  I am partial to GMs but the Super Duty with 6.2 is also a great truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top