Link Posted: 7/3/2018 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATC:
Looking good OP!

My buddy is pretty much done with his:
(Don't mind the shop dust on her)
View Quote
That is looking sweet! Im excited to have mine looking pretty as well!

These arrived today!

Going to start working on them soon!
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 9:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DamascusKnifemaker] [#4]
I've always had a soft spot for the old FJ40s. Great build OP.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:38:42 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the Arfcom of Land Cruiser forums? Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Truman_Sparks:
View Quote
@Truman_Sparks I mainly look at ih8mud but if you are planning on doing the same I highly recommend you sign up for an account otherwise it is unusable with all the pop up ads.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, beautiful job on the FJ and this thread.  Awakened a desire for an FJ from my teen years (70's/early 80's) that I had set aside.  I just started searching for used ones and came across this company that restores them for you...I thought, ok some up charge.  Holy shit, they want $120K for a restored FJ!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dbaird:
@Truman_Sparks I mainly look at ih8mud but if you are planning on doing the same I highly recommend you sign up for an account otherwise it is unusable with all the pop up ads.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Truman_Sparks:
I will pass that on. Thanks dbaird.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice to have a retired father who likes 40’s and has a lot of free time. He started on the quarter panels today for me.

Pulled the diamond plate off and was reminded why it was on there in the first place.

Cut off driver side

And where it ends for the day. Test fitting the driver side.

Very excited to get these on. Will make it look a lot better overall.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Top off, roll bar and rear seats removed so we can get to some of the other parts that need attention.

Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Also started removing bed liner to see what oem paint will be salvageable. Seems both steps will be good and most of the outer rockers are still good. Just small repairs needed.

Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Driver side ready to be welded up.

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#13]
More patches being made.

And with the quarter panel in place it actually looks more level now then before which makes me happy.

Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Some paint correction.

Taking the gas door to get paint matched. Its sitting on the fender and you can see how dry the paint looks on the fender.

Kind of a before and after

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#15]
All driver side welding done. Just need some minor body work. Ordered the paint and started on the passenger side.

Fender rot gone

Passenger side cut up.

And also am going to use this and make a step for my kids to be able to get into the back a little easier. Also going to cover the holes in the bumpers some how. Seems like a broken leg waiting to happen.

Link Posted: 7/21/2018 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
It’s looking good, I would just lose that rear bumper and build up something nicer and incorporate a step into it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve considered building a new swing out bumper, but that will be a while. I like keeping the step removable for when they are grown I can take it off and leave it off.

Started paint correction today to see what I have to work with better. I’m very pleased with the results. Did the hood and front valance today.

What I started with.

And the end result!

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Picked up my paint that I had matched to my fuel door.

Also got the passenger side metal all welded up. Body work starts next.

Also keep making progress when I can on buffing the paint. It’s looking nice under the junk!

Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It’s looking great, that paint you restored looks almost new!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Passenger side body work is all done!

Link Posted: 7/26/2018 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Driver side body work done. Need to drill holes for the tire swingout. And I got some black rust prevention paint im going to do the wheel wells with. Then primer!

Link Posted: 7/28/2018 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Just about ready for paint!

Decided taking the fenders off and painting all of them would end up better than trying to blend them and such.

Hopefully by next weekend it will be yellow again!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#24]
It’s yellow again! 2 coats. Drying now and then a color sanding and buffing is needed.

I am happy with the color match. Once its buffed and such I doubt it will be noticeable where the paint is different.

Couple of runs on the corners that will need to be sanded off once dried.

And so now we just wait for paint to dry!

Link Posted: 7/30/2018 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Very nice work!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#27]
just found this thread......congrats and she is looking great!

i was worried when I saw the diamond plate going on....but you came thru on page 3 with new panels ;)

i am kinda into Cruisers....we have 10 currently(7 are licensed, insured and driven all the time). Had 17 once, the spares went to friends for what I was into them.

got a 78 I am not sure what I am going to do with, literally came from my next door neighbor, I really don't need it and don't feel like doing a resto(I know better), so I may make it a soft top(never started it , owner took some stuff apart planing on a resto, he then died)

got a 77 last year, had it less than a day before i let another friend have it.......amazing what turns up if your not looking for it.

enjoy :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#28]
@dbaird Nice work and Nice clock! Scout fan also?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 12:24:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dbaird] [#29]
Thanks everyone! This is my dad's garage and only part of his collection. He has many gas pumps, neon signs and such. All I have really is a restored pump in my front room haha.

And yes I am a fan of any older 4x4. I looked at broncos and scouts before I found this 40. Just didn't find one that called to me like this did.

The paint mixer nailed the match now that it is drying. I am very happy with their work.

Speaking of my dad and his collection and abilities, here is an updated picture of the 40 he bought that is shown earlier in the thread.

Before

And after. The hardtop matches and such. He build the whole safari top himself as well, bent all the tubing and made the top out of a canvas tarp.

Very lucky to be having his help and guidance on this project. Wouldn't look anything like it does without his help.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Reassembly has begun!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2018 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Very nice. I want one badly.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 4:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks!!

I have kids and dogs that like to ride in the back and I’ve never liked the bumperettes. I’ve always thought they were a broken leg waiting to happen so today we took care of that. We didn’t want to completely box them in so that they still retain some function if its ever rear ended but i wanted something to prevent kid or dog legs from falling through so this is what we came up with.

Link Posted: 8/2/2018 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Hardtop back on so we can start work on it as well. Rear ambulance doors are getting some patches and paint work done now as well.

Good before and after of the paint work done. The top should buff out and match the tub.

Link Posted: 8/3/2018 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Rear doors close to done. Getting body work now. Got the side doors back on and picked up more cutting compound to buff the hardtop and doors with. Started working on changing out the bushings on the tire swingout as well since they are shot.

Link Posted: 8/3/2018 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Thank you! Now that I have one I see them everywhere around here.

Now that the paint looks good everything else looks trashy. I don’t want it to look new so i sand blasted the rusty hardware lightly and then just coated it with a matte clear.

Before

After with new screws

Got the doors back on to start on the paint as well.

And then got the driver side of the hardtop buffed.

Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s looking really great
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Rear doors drying. Most likely going to take the top off after it’s buffed and run with a bikini top while fixing a small hole in the hardtop fiberglass and adding a headliner.

Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Also painted the tailgate for when the roof is off. Black just looked out of place with the yellow. This will be going on soon when the roof comes back off.

Also ordered a windshield channel for the bikini top I have for it. That should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Next is re-doing the front seats. New foam is here and covers should hopefully get here next week.

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#41]
New oem mirror is here.

Also the seat covers are here! Hopefully I can get the seats done this week!

Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Paint work is done for now! Next up is re-doing the seats and rebuilding the tire swingout.

Top will come off soon and bikini top will go back on til I get the headliner put in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#43]
Tire swingout pulled apart. The bushing all fell apart so it would rattle and drop about an inch when you opened it.

Some brass bushings from the local tractor supply fixed it right up. No more rattle or drop.

Then the seats got some attention.

They have seen better days. Cracked and gross, the foam has been rained in and such and the slider never worked so my wife had a hard time driving with out the seat moved forward.

Pulled old covers and foam off.

Cleaned up the pan and got rid of the rust. New foam vs old foam.

Back foam was in good shape and was re used.

Seat bottom done!

Seat back done!

And sliders somewhat cleaned up. They wont come apart without cutting so i spayed some lubricant in them and beat them with a rubber mallet. They slide now!

Hopefully I will get them put back together this week. Very happy with them since this is my first time doing upholstery.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Were those seat foams specifically made for an FJ40? I ask because the seats in my 4Runner are shot, but the seat foams are discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By thezentree:
Were those seat foams specifically made for an FJ40? I ask because the seats in my 4Runner are shot, but the seat foams are discontinued.
View Quote
Yes these are from Spectre off road and made for my year 40. While looking into re-doing the seats I saw a lot of people mention that local upholstery shops will also make you foams for a similar cost to what these were ($200 for the pair)
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Cowl as good as it’s going to get for now. I will probably paint it at some point but im out of paint for now. Plus this is a refresh not a restoration. Have to draw the line somewhere!

And driver seat all done.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Both seats are done, got the bikini top on it and moved it outside. Working on the hardtop now. I think im going to remove 1 or 2 leafs out of the front to level it out and I need to get emblems for it. I also have another set of 33’s to put on it.

Link Posted: 8/18/2018 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Both seats are done, got the bikini top on it and moved it outside. Working on the hardtop now. I think im going to remove 1 or 2 leafs out of the front to level it out and I need to get emblems for it. I also have another set of 33’s to put on it.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/0B39BB39-81B1-4BBA-AB5A-53BB08BC0520_zpssv5jl5a1.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/EACE30AF-D60D-48B4-8700-873F935B270A_zpssikdwb0s.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d21/stockredej1/FJ40/2E7C87EC-057B-47F7-8462-2D890A94A514_zps2fvfdrx3.jpg
View Quote
Looking great. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks!

Started on the hardtop today. Patched the hole in the rear.

Then stood it up and started cleaning up the old headliner remnants .

Then laid out the material after my wife stitched two pieces together to make it large enough.

And in for now. Still need to finish up the edges and such but I like it.

Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:28:40 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread, you, and your quality of work, win the Internet and is the best thread on Arfcom ever!

It has been very inspiring!  My daughter will be driving in 3 years and I had always dreamed of rebuilding a Jeep, old Bronco, or an FJ-40 for her and this thread has got my juices flowing!  I have been looking for a project everyday now!

GREAT WORK man!

I love this thread!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top