Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2016 10:04:09 PM EDT
I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado with a 3 inch lift. I don't know the brand it was on when I bought it. It's the kind that has a spacer at the top of the coil spring. I need to remove the shock and spring  together to remove the CV axle which is really what I'm working on. The instructions show you just pull down with a little pressure and it comes right out but the lift kit it's under a lot of tension. Any ideas how to get this out? I think the suspension is bottomed out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLC1SrzSf4U

Watch this video. On yours since you have the lift spacer on it............. Jack up the truck as high as you can safely. Use jack stands. Put a jack under the lower control arm just enough to put tension on it. , remove the upper control arm nut and separate the ball joint from it. Once you have the upper bolts from the coil over off lower the jack so the control arm swings down. That way your entire coilover assembly and spacer assembly can come out.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have any room to pull down on the suspension like they do on that stock one.  My shock and strut are several inches longer.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have any room to pull down on the suspension like they do on that stock one.  My shock and strut are several inches longer.
View Quote
Make room by separating the upper control arm from the ball joint. This will allow the lower control arm to swing down further.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks. I'll try tomorrow.  Done for the night!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it!  Now reassembly = reverse of removal, right?  Isn't that what the old manuals used to say?

I haven't done anything big in a while. I'm going back with a new hub, calipers, pads, and rotors too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top